Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Shim Stock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho1 View Post
    What shim thickness are you typically using?
    me, I've used .001, and .0015 for several of my AR-15 and AR-308 uppers when shims were deemed necessary. I have .002, but haven't had need to use that yet.

Feedback Score
    Thank You

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho1 View Post
    What shim thickness are you typically using?
    I've only used 0.001.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Here's a link to a variety. There are several more if you search Amazon for "stainless shim stock"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I58PZE

Make sure you get the polished and hardened stuff only. Otherwise it creates resistance when you're trying to insert the barrel into the upper.
    Thanks for the link. I grabbed the .001 and .0015 to try on an upper I have. It historically averages 1.1" @ 100y, but I do see a small amount of groups shifting as the barrel warms up. Could be the shooter. I'll shimming it and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Another route may be to use a BCM upper receiver. From BCM:

"Inside Diameter for barrel extension slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel and a more accurate rifle..."

I bought one of their blem/demo uppers and the diameter for the barrel extension is undersized. I had to use a heat gun on the upper and small coating of oil to get the barrel to slide in, along with a mallet. But there is no play between the barrel and receiver.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by broke_shooter View Post
    Another route may be to use a BCM upper receiver. From BCM:

"Inside Diameter for barrel extension slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel and a more accurate rifle..."

I bought one of their blem/demo uppers and the diameter for the barrel extension is undersized. I had to use a heat gun on the upper and small coating of oil to get the barrel to slide in, along with a mallet. But there is no play between the barrel and receiver.
    That's a good route to go, but until the BCM Mk2 was released, many people opted for reinforced uppers for the extra rigidity. The Mk2 Receiver may give the best of both options being undersized and reinforced.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Every bcm reciever I used was tight to barrel fit. On the loose (non bcm) ones, I just stole the feeler guage from my set and slides right in to tighten loose recievers.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Thermal fit barrels. https://youtu.be/-cOlNGxUhsk

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Tried using Loctite 620 with .0015 and then .001 shim stock yesterday. Difference between extension and receiver was about .005. After coating extension and inside of receiver with loctite, I definitely couldn't use .0015 shim stock. I tried .001, and just couldn't quite finish the last 1/16 of on inch into the receiver. A heat gun would have made it work very easily. I ended up using the Loctite, and throwing it together. The experience taught me what to expect, and the upper is just ratty parts to a rejected M&P Sport upper being put back together for testing muzzled devices, etc.

(We tried everything to get that upper to work, only to realize later that the BCG was to blame and S&W wouldn't replace the BCG. Having disassembled it three or four times, I just let it sit in parts for the last couple years. )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast