Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Slide velocity is primarily controlled by MS and amount of firing pin radius, in addition to recoil spring weight/rating.

The heavier the recoil spring weight, the more your gun “dips” as slide goes back into battery.
The ideal is having a gun that shoots as flat as possible.

With Minor/range loads I use a 9/10# recoil spring, a “Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop” (reduces mechanical advantage of slide cocking hammer- and was JMBs original design) with a 19# MS.

The Recoil Spring in a 1911 is more accurately a “return to battery” spring.
You need enough RS to strip rd from mag and ensure slide returns to battery.

The amount of magazine spring tension, how tight slide to frame fit and barrel fit/lock up are determining factors of necessary RS weight.

If I’m shooting +P carry ammo exclusively I’ll run a 12# RS and 21#MS to ensure positive function.
A 2# trigger on a carry gun are less a necessity than on a range/game gun for me.

FWIW, nearly all production/semi production guns (1911s) come oversprung.
I have a 13# Wilson flatwire for the recoil spring. It was also in the gun when I conducted the first range trip. I don't think I want to reduce the slide's mechanical advantage over the hammer, just because I'm more intrested in absolute reliability than getting the flattest shooting gun. I'll see how it runs and go from there. I'm pretty intrested to see how it goes but fingers crossed. The 1000rds I bought for round two was cheap Browning 115gr fmj becasue of a rebate going on.