Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: FN scores M4/M4A1 contract

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A surplus lower courtesy of the US Navy. Now in use with US Border Patrol.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    BCM upper receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I'd imagine PSA and other companies with contracts will still be able to get FN barrels.

If the cost is $500 each which is low that's less than 250k rifles over the next 25 years.

I'm curious what this means to the 6.5 rifles the military is anticipated to adopt soon.
    These 5.56 rifles might be for non combat roles.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    According to the article, "The guns must be manufactured exclusively within the United States or its Territories, with an estimated completion date of Jan. 30, 2025.". That would be more like a little less than 250K M4s and M4A1s over the next 5 years.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    BCM upper receiver?
    Yeah I read in a few places that the US Customs and Border Patrol have chosen BCM as their new rifle

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/u...ncy-new-rifles

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BCM upper with 11.5" barrel and BCM MLOK forend.

No factory complete BCM rifles. Uppers are a combination of complete BCM parts as well as 11.5" barrels assembled on Colt uppers and BCM forends.

Forends are 9" so as to be compatible with some of the older vehicle racks. The Tactical unit has a similar gun although there's is a 10" forend and a suppressor compatible muzzle device.

Lowers are either Colt that have been cycled through for rebuild or USGI surplus from DoD.

The DoD lowers have been an amazing mix of M16 history. Some newer FN and Colt stuff but also M16 and even XM lowers from the various military sources. Pretty cool that many of these lowers are still in service and are older than the agents carrying them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-15-20 at 09:29.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Am I missing something or is the 6.8MM project just in the initial test procurement phase still? As long as I've been into guns there have been a lot of such programs where they spend ~30 million on some guns/ammo to test, and more often then not they never get beyond the evaluation phase. Mil has to spend the money to test different products, and keep future options open.

As for myself, even though I they don't really make sense anymore given modern options, a factory M4 is on my list but the Colt and FN 'collector' guns are several hundred dollars over where they should be priced which is a shame.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    If Colts out of contracts and no civilian sales whats left?
    Well according to a recent article from Colt they have back orders to the tune of 14k for the new Python! Now if they can fix it Colt will be fine if without all the Haters!
    Army Veteran , Lifetime NRA Member,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    If Colts out of contracts and no civilian sales whats left?
    Colt's handling major M4 contracts for foreign governments brokered by U.S.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry starling View Post
    Well according to a recent article from Colt they have back orders to the tune of 14k for the new Python! Now if they can fix it Colt will be fine if without all the Haters!
    Hey, at $4k a pop thats $56,000,000. $56k for the mighty colt, could not even pay the old plant's light bill with that!

I suspect Colt will make it up with sales other than to the US army. And if they don't the board will feel the pressure and start selling to civvies again.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Am I missing something or is the 6.8MM project just in the initial test procurement phase still? As long as I've been into guns there have been a lot of such programs where they spend ~30 million on some guns/ammo to test, and more often then not they never get beyond the evaluation phase. Mil has to spend the money to test different products, and keep future options open.
    the operational parameters they've identified are going to require very significant breakthroughs including some approaching changing the laws of physics. (300wm recoil in an M4 weight package)

and even then it has to be reliable in quantity.

I hope they are able to do it as those breakthroughs could trickle down. But I'm not holding my breath

As for myself, even though I they don't really make sense anymore given modern options, a factory M4 is on my list but the Colt and FN 'collector' guns are several hundred dollars over where they should be priced which is a shame.
    I wanted a 6920 in M4 configuration as kind of as a reference for fun. Have not changed the barrel yet but I'm looking for a good used Colt 14.5 FSB barrel which I will pin and swap.

Partly just to remind myself how I got in the m4gery thing as it was cuz they were light, reliable, easy to shoot accurately and fastly.

I'd love a civvy FN made A4 if it was off the line except for specific fcg parts. But thats not what their collector guns are. Could probably get closer with a used Colt in A2 config of some form.
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 02-16-20 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I wanted a 6920 in M4 configuration as kind of as a reference for fun. Have not changed the barrel yet but I'm looking for a good used Colt 14.5 FSB barrel which I will pin and swap.

Partly just to remind myself how I got in the m4gery thing as it was cuz they were light, reliable, easy to shoot accurately and fastly.

I'd love a civvy FN made A4 if it was off the line except for specific fcg parts. But thats not what their collector guns are. Could probably get closer with a used Colt in A2 config of some form.
    I keep seeing this. Aside from the proof marks, what's the difference? From my understanding they're manufactured at the South Carolina facility now instead of Virginia like they originally were.

I spoke on the phone to someone from FN recently in regards to the collector series. He told me as of right now they're actually manufacturing them on the exact same line that the military guns are, they just cannot stamp them the same. Also he said the lower receivers ARE NOT made by FN.

A side note. Chris Bartocci from Small Arms Solutions mentioned in a live chat that he measured the barrel length of his personal military collector series M4 and it's exactly 14.5" . . . so that lines up with what the FN employee said lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast