Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No case left behind !

Feedback Score
    I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will start with if I were going to buy revolver I would buy it in .357 mag. That way I would have options of shooting both rounds out of the same gun.

Now I want to ask a serious question, besides a revolver not leaving cases behind if someone were shooting something that would have bad ramifications if found out. Not endorsing such shooting, but...

In 2020, what advantages does a snub nose revolver give you, over a small 9mm auto?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer my 442 for pocket carry over a pocket .380. When I was last shopping for something small (~5 years ago), I could not find a small 9mm that worked in this specific niche for me. Now I live in California and none of the new pocket 9mms are on the approved roster.

For when I pocket carry, the 442 has been extremely adequate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

Now I want to ask a serious question, besides a revolver not leaving cases behind if someone were shooting something that would have bad ramifications if found out. Not endorsing such shooting, but...

In 2020, what advantages does a snub nose revolver give you, over a small 9mm auto?
    My 642, loaded and in a raven vg2, is about 5oz lighter than my G43, loaded in its vg2. The Scandium j-frames would be even lighter. When I am wearing workout shorts and no belt as I typically am dressed when around the house or walking my dogs, the j-frame is the easiest thing to carry. I carry nearly 100% of the time now including in my house, and the j-frame is part of that.

When I go out and wear a belt, I carry a larger gun.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a 442 no-lock, only real detractor is the integral front sight preventing more high visibility options but I painted it with a coat of white and several more of orange.

I happened into a MP340 357Mag locally that someone was blowing out with some ammo for $550. Sold the ammo and am into the thing for around $450. For that price it is a great upgrade to a 442, but I can't really see paying $700 plus for it. But you can notice it is a tad lighter and the replaceable front sight is nice along with the shrouded ejector rod. It is my main J-frame and see lots of abuse in the pocket and ankle. Full house 357s are a real pain, but it's carried with Speed GDHP 38SPL+P 135gr. The main advantaged isn't that it's a 357, it's the weight and front sight, but again for the going rate I really don't think they are worth it unless you get a deal.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Pocket carry - the fact you can have your hand on the snub, almost have it gripped, aimed on target (if carrying in a jacket) and the ability to fire multiple shots while concealed / without drawing, while a semi of any type would likely malfunction on clothing or cases. And from a pocket, a hammerless J-frame is the smoothest draw around, with nothing to snag like the backend of a slide or rear sight.

It's definitely a niche' firearm and if I can carry a weapon on the belt, it's a 9MM semiauto. But for pocket / ankle carry, a J-frame is still very valid.

Feedback Score
    It's definitely a niche' firearm and if I can carry a weapon on the belt, it's a 9MM semiauto. But for pocket / ankle carry, a J-frame is still very valid.
    I concur.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will start with if I were going to buy revolver I would buy it in .357 mag. That way I would have options of shooting both rounds out of the same gun.

Pocket carry. I find that my 640 Pro prints significantly less than my Glock 43 (more of lump than a squared-off handgun look). The 640 is heavier than my 442, but has night sights which regulate to the 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot Short barrel and reduced recoil load.

Feedback Score
    I certainly concur with the idea that the blast flash and recoil of a 357 make it hard to manage in a light revolver and that is a perfectly good reason not to use it and prefer the more manageable 38.

The disconnect occurs when a poster notes the considerable blast, flash and recoil and claims there is “no appreciable gain.” This is very incorrect.

Having chrono’ed a great deal of 38 and 357 from snubby barrels, the 357 runs to twice or more the energy and 300-400 fps more velocity with similar bullet weights. Noting a lot more recoil while simultaneously claiming little gain in performance is contradictory, and the chronograph confirms the contradiction.

Again, I can see not wanting the bang flash and kick of a 357 and choosing the 38 as controllability and repeat fire is a thing. But to also claim little gain in performance of 357 over 38 is clearly an error.

Feedback Score

Just because they are cool.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast