Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE Suspect arrest-Cops ambushed-critical condition-Los Angeles Co sheriff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    So your basing this on one cnn exit poll as the gospel?? That's brilliant...I have several friends in Austin / Lake Travis, Dallas & Houston & they swear the outsiders moving in these area from other states all lean far left. Conservatives aren't going to move into an area they just tried to escape. If that exit poll was done solely in Austin it would be skewed way to the opposite conclusion.

It's my opinion Californians, NY'rs and the far left like are fleeing because they love their money more than their politics. A cnn poll??
    It's the colleges more than the carpetbaggers. Texas universities are no less Marxist than colleges in any other state. You have one of the largest universities in the country in Austin. They're pumping out brainwashed kids every year who settle in Austin and the surrounding area, and people are wondering why Austin has become the Cambridge of the south.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent for O'Rourke. - The Dallas Morning News

Texans will **** up Texas. Coloradans ****ed up Colorado. It’s not the liberals fleeing California - why would they? It has the policies they support. It’s the conservatives who are fleeing California, looking to move to places with policies and views that better mimic their own.
    I'm not sure which one I find more appaling.

The fact you're using a CNN "poll" as evidence. Or the fact you believe it.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent for O'Rourke. - The Dallas Morning News

Texans will **** up Texas. Coloradans ****ed up Colorado. It’s not the liberals fleeing California - why would they? It has the policies they support. It’s the conservatives who are fleeing California, looking to move to places with policies and views that better mimic their own.
    I question the polling methodology. There are over 250 counties in Texas; I doubt CNN was able to draw a representative sample, and instead took a sample of the more populated regions, which do tend to vote democrat. That's one reason I don't like polls.

If a conservative 'flees' on area for another, he/she will vote in-kind. It's not like a native Texan (or Californian, or Oregonian) wakes up and says, "Hey, I think I will change my mind on abortion/2A/size of government". Same for a liberal. So if an area starts to lean one way or the other, what are the variables? Immigration (from other states) is one. Shifting demographics is another as younger people as an aggregate tend to be more liberal and more likely to vote democrat (but even that is debatable). Government policy is another ("well, I am a Republican, but golly I want good public schools so I need to vote yes for the bond").

The other challenge is 'regional ideology/identity'. I can almost guarantee a 'conservative' in NC is different than a 'conservative' in Oregon. Regionalism (Dixiecrats, Blue Dog Democrats, etc.) shape local political identity, and those traits transfer with the owner to another area. In NC a lot of rural democrats are pretty conservative, much more so than many urban Republicans. Try telling a rural North Carolinian who is democrat they can't have a gun.

I do not follow Texas politics, but I have a pretty good finger on the pulse of NC politics, which is similar to Texas: urban centers vote more liberal, rural areas vote more conservative. The 'why' is probably analogous as well.

In NC, 100 years ago 90% of North Carolinians were native of NC; in 2018, 43% were from outside the state. That has a significant bearing on the shape of politics. From 2018-2019, Texas had the highest percentage of population growth; about half are native, half are transplants. Conversely, California has one of the biggest rates of emigration. Once you figure the 'who' and 'why,' there are the answers for the change in politics.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    It's the colleges more than the carpetbaggers.
    These are screenshots from the first chapter of an Introduction to US Government textbook.

To be fair- it's also worth noting that all of my science professors are focused on their discipline, and I have not had a single bad experience in any of my STEM courses.
    Last edited by GTF425; 09-17-20 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    These are screenshots from the first chapter of an Introduction to US Government textbook.

To be fair- it's also worth noting that all of my science professors are focused on their discipline, and I have not had a single bad experience in any of my STEM courses.
    Holy let's-insert-our-agenda Batman.... that's awful. I have 3 1/2 degrees (1 BA, 1 BSN, 1 MSN, and half of a MS....), and although I had profs who I knew to be liberal or conservative, I can think of only a handful of courses (specifically, sociology and public health policy) where the prof's politics/agenda steered the course. All the others, they were chill, even when we had arguments or disagreed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Holy let's-insert-our-agenda Batman.... that's awful. I have 3 1/2 degrees (1 BA, 1 BSN, 1 MSN, and half of a MS....), and although I had profs who I knew to be liberal or conservative, I can think of only a handful of courses (specifically, sociology and public health policy) where the prof's politics/agenda steered the course. All the others, they were chill, even when we had arguments or disagreed.
    I’ve definitely had less classes than you, but yeah, other than a first year sociology class, my professors generally talk about you know, math and science. Theres a limited amount of time to cram a bunch of info in. Ain’t nobody paying to do a sidebar into politics.

Also, I was married to a university instructor and lab manager for several years, so I got to know the bio and chem department staff and instructors in a few universities in 3 different states. I see more agendas and biases on the subject of education here on M4c than in academia.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    It's the colleges more than the carpetbaggers. Texas universities are no less Marxist than colleges in any other state. You have one of the largest universities in the country in Austin. They're pumping out brainwashed kids every year who settle in Austin and the surrounding area, and people are wondering why Austin has become the Cambridge of the south.
    No doubt...not sure why anyone would think Texas universities would be void of brain washing profs vs other states. I have a nephew going there in the McCombs biz program & a niece attending yale. Both are in the young republican groups in a sea of left thinking zealots.

My son just graduated from TCU w/ his electrical eng degree & didn't report much strife during his 4 years.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    double...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Holy let's-insert-our-agenda Batman.... that's awful.
    My experiences in every other class mirror both you and 1168. Everything outside of the arts and social studies has been very non-partisan and my classmates are mostly focused on staying above water academically than anything else.

It's been a pretty enjoyable experience overall, to be honest.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For California, the Republican Party is widely responsible for its own demise here.

The state was pretty solid red through the 80's and early 90's. Then, as immigration from Asia and Latin American spiked in the early 90's, the Republican Party went full tilt anti immigration with Prop 187 instead of trying to find a way to bring immigrants into the party tent. As a result, sentiment quickly shifted and the state went blue.

Then, in 2010~2012 with Schwarzenegger in the governor's seat, the Republicans foolishly went down the jungle primary path and set up a new election system where the top candidates from the primaries, regardless of party, were the ones on the ballot. The Democrats flood the elections with candidates with false "moderate" candidates that split the Republican vote and now in many areas you have to choose between 2 Democrats in the general election.

LA is very liberal, but it's also very individualistic. The Republican Party has been unable to get candidates in LA that connect with that group. By and large, the same holds true in San Diego and Orange County which is why both have slid blue in recent years. San Francisco is a lost cause.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast