Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s a pretty well established theme on this site of using the best tools for your intended purpose. If you can do your job better with a RDS, don’t over think it. Be aware of it’s strong/weak points for your intended purpose. I have RDS on pistols, rifles and a subgun. The dot is the best tool on those for what I use them for. I have a LPVO on one rifle, because it’s the best tool for what I use it for. Can I interchange them all between intended purposes? Sure. Can I do it seamlessly? No. If I was able to spend more money on ammunition and more time swapping roles I could get there, but I digress…

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I think too many people shoehorn themselves into an LPVO because there’s so many people hawking them as the do all optic.

They’re really more of a niche optic when it comes to the long gun used for defense against humans in the USA.
    Guilty of this and have had nearly everything from a pst 2 to Khales k16i. Finally accepted eotech and magnifier were best tool on my 556 sbr(adding night vision sealed that) and a 2-10x40 was best fit for my wolverine sbr that I use for deer/hog hunting. Went with 2-10x40 on 16" since most shooting with it is range/steel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Chuckman, I disagree that the LPVO is just as fast in improvised or unorthodox positions. I trained with one for several months nearly exclusively, and when I put it on the timer, I was still a little faster with the Eotech. I would say that it is possible to be close-enough to as fast. Now, when doing easy flat range shots, its really close, close enough to call same-as, practically.

What I don’t have is a large sample size of dudes that shoot both, on a clock. So, maybe its just me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    the longer range advantage they offer really isn’t there for me.
    They don't really offer much in REAL long range. Shoot! There's times were we get on the 15X Nightforce and it seems low magnification compared to the 24X big brothers.

Am I missing something,
    No. LPVOs are very niche to me. And the bulk and weight you mentioned isn't worth the limited range.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    They don't really offer much in REAL long range. Shoot! There's times were we get on the 15X Nightforce and it seems low magnification compared to the 24X big brothers.
    I have no LR experience but I thought 10X was generally considered enough for 5.56 and 7.62. Are you shooting 300 Norma Magnum, 6.5 PRC etc.?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    That's the bitch of not knowing what we don't know...If you don't feel you need it, then you're probably right.

Not all LPVO's are created equal and there's a lot that people reject about them on principle but also threads like this exist where people question the utility. Despite eveyone bending to their own preferences, there's tons that can be done with an LPVO that can not with an RDS or ACOG or MPVO. Whether one requires those advantages is not indictment of the general utility of the LPVO.

I wouldn't give mine up for anything and the RDS is my "niche tool box item".

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've never went down the high end LPVO road, but my experiments with them always make me realize that a simple, always on red dot like an Aimpoint is the best choice for my circumstances. We need to be honest with ourselves concerning our likely engagements with a defensive carbine.

The usable magnification a LPVO brings over a RDS and a magnifier is probably a bigger asset than the ability to shoot farther. I listened to the P&S modcast where Pressburg talked about wanting that magnification for the patrol cop that needs to put one through the eyeball of a dirtbag at 46 yards peering from behind cover. I don't disagree. If I were a patrol cop, I might choose differently. But I'm not. I also don't live in a wide open area. It's pretty thick here, and I think the longest shot I have here on my property would be between 75 and 100 yards or so. I know to get to a 200 yard shot I need to leave my property and go hit the main road.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    One note to point out. The piggybacked reddot on an ACOG is high, but not any higher than the ultra high mounts that seem to be all the rage. It's definitely a compromise but it works.
    I'm not sure that's true. Most folks seem to put the RMR at about 4.25" HOB when piggybacking off of an ACOG, while the a Unity 2.26" is roughly 3.47" HOB; the tallest NVG-specific mounts I know of only push the height to 2.33", so still ~0.75" lower than the RMR on top of the ACOG. One can certainly do work with the RMR on top of the ACOG, but I don't think it'd be fair to say that it's not any higher than the NVG-centric RDS mounts.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    That's the bitch of not knowing what we don't know...If you don't feel you need it, then you're probably right.

Not all LPVO's are created equal and there's a lot that people reject about them on principle but also threads like this exist where people question the utility. Despite eveyone bending to their own preferences, there's tons that can be done with an LPVO that can not with an RDS or ACOG or MPVO. Whether one requires those advantages is not indictment of the general utility of the LPVO.

I wouldn't give mine up for anything and the RDS is my "niche tool box item".
    same here and good post

I'm an LPVO guy and would never use only a rds on my carbines although one is on a 'other'. LPVOs are not created equal and the weight is negligent imho but everyone's tolerances are different. I like the older mtac line with cqb reticle vs any rds but have moved on to the burris 1-6x.

also, not everyone has great eyesight and visual distortion at even 100yds can seriously impact the ability to use a rds.

of course most people are shooting at ranges so it doesn't matter for most.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd also say the LE points are kinda off point. I don't know a single dept in my state (new jermany) that authorizes lpvos for use and I'm fairly confident in saying that maybe 1%, and I'm being generous, could make a shot remotely close to what was stated earlier. lol

Anything past 60yds I believe would require SWAT or tactical response teams as the liability becomes an issue. Again, each state varies of course.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast