Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: January 11th Aimpoint announcement

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I don't know that anyone is saying they prefer the occluded lens, just that it can be used if need be. This seems to bother you more than it probably should and is easily remedied by buying whatever lens cap you want to use or ditching them altogether.
    Black has certain limitations that don't occur with transparent which would not require any work around such as buying something else or leaving them off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Anyone know the cost?

They will need to do way more than this. There is a world of hurt headed their way as other RDS catch up and as LVPO get lighter.
    It took them a long time to come up with something not very innovative. Good on them for tapping a different market through price point, but you can get used T2's for $650 or so. The brightness buttons are not ideal, and Torx for adjustments?

Meh.
    Last edited by DefenderAO; 01-13-22 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    Performance wise what does the T2 have this new one doesn't?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Performance wise what does the T2 have this new one doesn't?
    Duty RDS have forged aluminum housing and it's sleeker with the windage/elevation caps/knobs removed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    If it wasn’t for my astigmatism…
    Yes, I have/had the same problem with my old Aimpoint Pro, it was anything but a dot.. So I sold it and shot irons for a few years all the while looking for an option that I liked. I thought all RDS were the same until I looked through an Aimpoint Comp M4 and viola, it was a dot ! So is my new to me SIG Romeo 4T so not all RDS are created equal.

Feedback Score
    The T2 has 67% better battery life, a more reliable brightness adjustment, and proven low parallax (unknown with the Duty Sight at this point). The news for a torx wrench to adjust windage and elevation is a regression to the adjustable caps IMO.

Lastly, the T2 has a known market for mounts. The Duty RDS is taller than the T2 but does seem to run the same mounting screw footprint. Looking at aftermarket RDS mounts with coupled magnifier mounts won’t align with the RDS until spacers or some other fix comes out.

The current unknowns with the RDS, the better T2 adjustments and battery life, and the aftermarket products make the T2 worth the jump for me. That said, those looking for a micro PRO, to include a more common battery and ability to avoid China, is a win.
    Last edited by DefenderAO; 01-14-22 at 06:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenderAO View Post
    The T2 has 80% better battery life, a more reliable brightness adjustment, and proven low parallax (unknown with the Duty Sight at this point). The news for a torx wrench to adjust windage and elevation is a regression to the adjustable caps IMO.

Lastly, the T2 has a known market for mounts. The Duty RDS is taller than the T2 but does seem to run the same mounting screw footprint. Looking at aftermarket RDS mounts with coupled magnifier mounts won’t align with the RDS until spacers or some other fix comes out.

The current unknowns with the RDS, the better T2 adjustments and battery life, and the aftermarket products make the T2 worth the jump for me. That said, those looking for a micro PRO, to include a more common battery and ability to avoid China, is a win.
    Made in china is a no-go for me. Others may and do disagree but that's their choice. If this had come out before I got my Romeo 4T then I would be looking to get one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenderAO View Post
    The T2 has 67% better battery life, a more reliable brightness adjustment, and proven low parallax (unknown with the Duty Sight at this point). The news for a torx wrench to adjust windage and elevation is a regression to the adjustable caps IMO.

It is being reported on TOS that this new optic uses the same emitter and lenses as the T2. This would seem to mean, to me at least, that the T2 and DRDS would have the same battery life, overall clarity, etc.

With this said, the info on TOS could be flat out wrong or only partially correct. Maybe "the same lenses" equates to the same raw glass but with less expensive coatings applied to keep costs down. Theoretically the less expensive coatings may not work as effectively and require different brightness settings to offer the same functionality.

Anyway, 2032 cells are relatively cheap. I can buy a bucket full of them for the difference in battery life vs the cost difference between the T2 and this.

The optic makes sense to me especially when optics like the Romeo4T have become quite popular. It was really only a matter of time before Aimpoint had to offer something in response.

The big unknown then is the optic height. Why would Aimpoint not use the legacy T-series height when the market is awash in mounts, spacers, co-witness magnifier mounts, etc? Unless a unique height was specifically required in a contract agreement this really doesn't make any sense. Seems like too obvious a boo-boo in the overall design to have not been done for a very good reason.

In any case, I have an optic on order from Strohman Enterprises. I am hoping to receive shipping confirmation soon and then have the optic sometime next week. I will post some photos--to include height compared to a T1--as soon as I can.

The optic makes sense to me especially when optics like the Romeo4T have become quite popular. It was really only a matter of time before Aimpoint had to offer something in response.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It is being reported on TOS that this new optic uses the same emitter and lenses as the T2. This would seem to mean, to me at least, that the T2 and DRDS would have the same battery life, overall clarity, etc.
    SHOCKED! SHOCKED I SAY!!!

Seriously, we've seen this game before with the Pro and CompM2/M3. They make trivially small changes to an existing product that was priced for military sales and is now seeing all sales in serious decline, then they put a new name on it and market it to the LE individual market at a slightly lower, but still high, price.

I've owned a bunch of Aimpoints including two Pro's, a CompML2 (thanks Grant!), and a H1. I still have the CompML2 because I wisely got it with an ADM mount and the overall setup simply works. The PRO optics were the same optic but with a junky Aimpoint-brand mount that didn't stay tight, and they got sold. The H1 I also bought with an ADM mount but later sold to a friend who had a better use for it. I mostly use variables and ACOGs now based on how I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Duty RDS have forged aluminum housing and it's sleeker with the windage/elevation caps/knobs removed.
    The "Duty" ad copy distinctly says "pressure forged" which I believe is marketing speak for "extruded," which is an extremely common and inexpensive manufacturing process for aluminum.

The pressure forged aluminum alloy housing provides durability against extreme abuse and drastic temperature changes.
    This is a perfectly good process and the end result is good, but this is IN NO WAY anything special or premium. I also suspect it's the same as the T2 uses. Here's the T2's housing description from the Aimpoint website:

Anodized high strength aluminum housing, semi-matte black
    No specification of manufacturing process. It could be fully machined, but extruded would be cheaper and as good or better for end result.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The big unknown then is the optic height. Why would Aimpoint not use the legacy T-series height when the market is awash in mounts, spacers, co-witness magnifier mounts, etc? Unless a unique height was specifically required in a contract agreement this really doesn't make any sense. Seems like too obvious a boo-boo in the overall design to have not been done for a very good reason.
    Same height as CompM5s.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast