Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Load choices for AR SBRs

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    My issue with the slow speed of the 64/62gr GDs is that I try to maintain consistency across rifles. I use those rounds for home defense, but home defense means something different for me than for somebody else. Home defense means shooting a coyote at 180+ yards off my back porch. I also like going coyote hunting which is 200+ all day long.

The speed sucks for that. I could always use two different cartridges, but why can't anyone make a faster 5.56 rated ~62gr bonded loaded round?

Once these gold dots run out, I'm just going to load my own.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’ll definitely be interested in hearing about that.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ll definitely be interested in hearing about that.
    I’ve already loaded 69gr SMKS at over max 5.56 pressure. They’re ok but I am thinking about going a bit lighter with something bonded. Like 55gr Gold Dots if I can find them

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My issue with the slow speed of the 64/62gr GDs is that I try to maintain consistency across rifles. I use those rounds for home defense, but home defense means something different for me than for somebody else. Home defense means shooting a coyote at 180+ yards off my back porch. I also like going coyote hunting which is 200+ all day long.
    What about the 55 grain Gold Dot as velocity is more respectable from those? Poor wind performance?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What you would choose for a 10 inch SBR would be pretty different from what you would want from a PDW with a 5" barrel. Almost anything will work well with a 10" barrel, even the dreaded M855 green tip. About the only thing you want to avoid outright are the ballistic tip varmint bullets, as they fragment and fail to penetrate past a few inches. Pretty much any FMJ or bonded HP is going to get the job done. I think the Black Hills 77gr stuff is probably the gold standard, but Speer Gold Dot also seems to perform very well. That comes at a massive price premium, though, and at the end of the day it's probably unlikely to do anything in a human target that Lake City wouldn't do, as well. If you have a department that will foot the bill for anything you want, though, Black Hills is probably ideal.

Things change quite a bit with barrels under 10 inches. The best case scenario seems to be a solid copper bullet in the 40gr range. Very, very spendy, though. Surprisingly, the ballistic tip bullets start to kind of work from those barrel lengths because the velocity is starting to get low enough that they don't fragment on impact, and will penetrate pretty deep. Whether that's at all superior to 55gr M193 I have no idea. You might be just as well off with the cheaper M193 option. Suffice it to say, if you opt for something highly specialized like an AR PDW, you might just want to go into it expecting to pay out the nose for ammo.

Feedback Score

The speed sucks for that. I could always use two different cartridges, but why can't anyone make a faster 5.56 rated ~62gr bonded loaded round?

XM556SBCT3.....the vaunted "FBI load". Good luck finding it though. I have ~ 700rds of it bought prior to the current tom-foolery when the picken's were good. It's essentially the 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw JSP load at 5.56 pressure.

I also have about half that number of the 64gr Gold Dots. I too have wondered why Speer only did a limited run of 5.56 pressure loads then mostly went to .223.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    XM556SBCT3.....the vaunted "FBI load". Good luck finding it though. I have ~ 700rds of it bought prior to the current tom-foolery when the picken's were good. It's essentially the 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw JSP load at 5.56 pressure.

I also have about half that number of the 64gr Gold Dots. I too have wondered why Speer only did a limited run of 5.56 pressure loads then mostly went to .223.
    Yeah, I've got a case of that SBCT3. I haven't shot any of it. Kinda afraid to cause I know I won't likely be getting any more and what if I really like it.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Yeah, I've got a case of that SBCT3. I haven't shot any of it. Kinda afraid to cause I know I won't likely be getting any more and what if I really like it.
    Exactly why I haven't shot any of mine!

All my AR's are zeroed for Mk318, which is a damn good round of it's own accord. "Green tip" to get on paper, then Mk318 to fine-tune the zero.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score

You are still getting 2000Fps out of a 16 inch barrel at 180 yards. GD expand really well at that velocity. You also say home defense means something different to you because you shoot coyotes. Are they trying to rob or take over your home?
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Exactly why I haven't shot any of mine!

All my AR's are zeroed for Mk318, which is a damn good round of it's own accord. "Green tip" to get on paper, then Mk318 to fine-tune the zero.
    Mk318 is my fav. I have taken 3 deer with it. Hits real hard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast