Thread: Otter Creek Polonium 556 can ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Otter Creek Polonium 556 can ?

My buddy just got a Otter Creek Polonium 556 can. Some others told him it was the cats meow in new 556 hotness. Anyone with experience with this can. He is going to try on his Barrett Rec7 and Colt 6920 (both 16inch guns) and see where he wants it most. Has one can already so just looking for the best home.

Any feedback appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    According to pew science, it has excellent suppression, but very high back pressure.

So it may not be best in a mixed use application, but could do quite well in a dedicated suppressed role with a tuned down gas port.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We may shoot it this weekend. High back pressure is a bummer. If we get to shoot it, we'll see if it seems gassy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    He is going to try it on his Rec7 and should be able to gas it down. But we’ll keep you posted.

PB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    According to pew science, it has excellent suppression, but very high back pressure.

So it may not be best in a mixed use application, but could do quite well in a dedicated suppressed role with a tuned down gas port.
    Seeing is believing on the difference a tuned down gas port makes. Sound at the ear (not to mention gas to the face) is noticeably mitigated with a 0.056 gas tube on an 11.5 with a Turbo K as compared to the standard (reduced) Sionics gas port.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Seeing is believing on the difference a tuned down gas port makes. Sound at the ear (not to mention gas to the face) is noticeably mitigated with a 0.056 gas tube on an 11.5 with a Turbo K as compared to the standard (reduced) Sionics gas port.
    Yeah. The Sionics RGP barrel is gassed right for NO suppresser. That's how retarded the majority of the AR Mfg industry is.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have one being held hostage by the AFT currently. As Clint said, it does a great job at sound and flash suppression, but at the cost of high back pressure. Mine will be going on a BRT 12.5" Optimum barrel with a green spring and A5H3 buffer. We'll see how it goes once the ATF deems me worthy.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Seeing is believing on the difference a tuned down gas port makes. Sound at the ear (not to mention gas to the face) is noticeably mitigated with a 0.056 *do you mean .065?*gas tube on an 11.5 with a Turbo K as compared to the standard (reduced) Sionics gas port.
    Yeah, we need to get Jay a severely choked down gun. Like a 11.5”-12.5” with a BRT 0.059” tube. I suspect that we would then find that loud, low backpressure cans are simply loud, although there still seems to be a balance point.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yeah, we need to get Jay a severely choked down gun. Like a 11.5”-12.5” with a BRT 0.059” tube. I suspect that we would then find that loud, low backpressure cans are simply loud, although there still seems to be a balance point.
    So, I did misremember a bit. The tube is 0.057 as marked, not 0.056. I was a little wary at first too, but it runs just fine. Gun is an 11.5 Sionics standard/reduced gas port with an A5H2, Sprinco Green, Sionics NP3 BCG, and a YHM Turbo K direct threaded. As I've stated in other posts, I do use a 75/25 mixture of Slip 2000 EWL 30 and Tetra Gun Oil along with the same mixture in grease, which is an incredibly slick combination unlike anything else I've seen. The gun has run flawlessly and ejects to 3 o'clock with M193 or M855, FWIW.

ETA: The standard gas port on the Sionics 11.5 is a 0.0625. Does not all feel undergassed, and runs Russian Vympel Golden Tiger even with an A5H2 unsuppressed.
    Last edited by georgeib; 09-23-22 at 11:51.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I looked at the pew pew page. I wonder how my Sig cans would fair. I have DT and brake mounted 556 cans that seem to offer a decent balance of sound and back pressure. I think the larger girth cans help with both.

Anyone see any studies or test on Sig cans?

PB