Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting ACOG accessory...

Feedback Score

Interesting ACOG accessory...

Anyone seen this? > https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

Kinda makes the tritium aspect of the ACOG even more pointless than it already was.

Apparently the first batch is only compatible with the TA51 mount, but can be modified for other mounts on request as has been discussed in a thread over on TOS.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Anyone seen this? > https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

Kinda makes the tritium aspect of the ACOG even more pointless than it already was.

Apparently the first batch is only compatible with the TA51 mount, but can be modified for other mounts on request as has been dicussed on a thread over on TOS.
    I think that I will get one to try out.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    The whole point of going with an ACOG in the first place is the ability to be battery-free... (low-to-no light for @ 5 years, and daylight use forever)

I think I'll just stick to using my ACOGs as intended. Besides, if I absolutely must use the ACOG at full on night, I'll be using NODs anyway, so for me it's pretty much this "accessory" that's pointless.

MA2
    ,——'ฏฏ';=====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    The whole point of going with an ACOG in the first place is the ability to be battery-free... (low-to-no light for @ 5 years, and daylight use forever)

I think I'll just stick to using my ACOGs as intended. Besides, if I absolutely must use the ACOG at full on night, I'll be using NODs anyway, so for me it's pretty much this "accessory" that's pointless.

MA2
    Though I agree with that, this doesn't eliminate the fiber optic or the tritium. It basically turns an ACOG into a 3 in one optic with battery power, fiber optic and tritium. I think this would come in handy mostly from looking out from a darker area into a bright one.

I believe I've read more than a few times that people would like to have the fiber optic along with the battery powered ACOGs and this is basically an easy way to get that.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    I think this would come in handy mostly from looking out from a darker area into a bright one.
    But ACOGs don't need enhancement for that kind of situation. Unlike a red dot sight, the ACOG reticle naturally appears darker when viewed over a bright background or target.
    ,——'ฏฏ';=====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ

Feedback Score
    But ACOGs don't need enhancement for that kind of situation. Unlike a red dot sight, the ACOG reticle naturally appears darker when viewed over a bright background or target.
    True, but only if you're looking out from a nearly completely dark area out into a bright area. I've had the reticle be somewhat lit up in some rooms that weren't all the way dark which actually made the reticle blend into some things when looking out into a brighter area, making the reticle harder to pick up. Of course, that is easily fixed by taping over the fiber optic to take the reticle all the way to black.

Lol! Seems like you're making me talk myself out of it. However, I believe it would be easier to adjust an illumination dial on the fly than it would be to mess around with electrical tape to cover the fiber optic.

Only other justification I can think of is if you are actually forced into a position where you are trying to make the Bindon aiming concept work in an indoor setting with varying lighting throughout a building. In that case you'd probably just want to turn the brightness all the way up.

That said, I don't use my ACOG like that, so it's all kinda lost on me. I use it as an outdoors day scope at most and I'd choose other options for night and CQB type stuff.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    Lol! Seems like you're are making me talk myself out of it.
    [sarcasm]
    No! Why would I ever want you to convince yourself NOT to spend half a Benjamin to add even more weight & bulk to an already large & somewhat weighty optic? I mean it even requires batteries! (for which maybe you should keep a few extra on your person?... You know - for just in case?)
    No, I wouldn't want you to feel like you tricked yourself into keeping things practical, as it's probably best anyway that you permanently halve your ACOG's natural fiber-optic light collecting abilities rather than just using your non-firing hand to simply cover the top of the ACOG (or use a 1 cent piece of electrical tap accomplish the same thing), but look on the bright side (har har), at least you'll have managed to narrow down your ACOG mounting choices to the TA-51 (unless of course you enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to somehow modify the thing to work with one of the numerous better mounts that are not only available, but also in common use), and even when modified, still interferes with mounting the ACOG close to a rear back up iron sight?

No, I would probably feel bad?... if you didn't waste the time & money, or... something along those lines?
    [/sarcasm]

MA2
    Last edited by MA2_Navy_Veteran; 01-24-23 at 20:59.
    ,——'ฏฏ';=====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ

Feedback Score
    [sarcasm]
    No! Why would I ever want you to convince yourself NOT to spend half a Benjamin to add even more weight & bulk to an already large & somewhat weighty optic? I mean it even requires batteries! (for which maybe you should keep a few extra on your person?... You know - for just in case?)
    No, I wouldn't want you to feel like you tricked yourself into keeping things practical, as it's probably best anyway that you permanently halve your ACOG's natural fiber-optic light collecting abilities rather than just using your non-firing hand to simply cover the top of the ACOG (or use a 1 cent piece of electrical tap accomplish the same thing), but look on the bright side (har har), at least you'll have managed to narrow down your ACOG mounting choices to the TA-51 (unless of course you enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to somehow modify the thing to work with one of the numerous better mounts that are not only available, but also in common use), and even when modified, still interferes with mounting the ACOG close to a rear back up iron sight?

No, I would probably feel bad?... if you didn't waste the time & money, or... something along those lines?
    [/sarcasm]

MA2

I guess I should admit that I bought one yesterday... I actually got it just to see if it will fit with my Bobro ACOG mounts. The older mount I think it might work with, but the newer one has some design changes that might interfere. It'll be interesting to play around with for a little while IF it fits with my mounts. But, I think it's probably just something that cost me almost $50 for me to realize that I was happy with my ACOGs in their original (fiber optic only) form. And don't get me started on batteries! I avoided battery powered optics for the longest time only to cave last year... It's not so bad, but it's not so great having to think about batteries either.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-25-23 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see this as an option on an older ACOG that has tritium that no longer works. Last I heard, Trijicon charges $500 to replace the tritium.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I can see this as an option on an older ACOG that has tritium that no longer works. Last I heard, Trijicon charges $500 to replace the tritium.
    If you regularly shoot in diminished light, the tritium might be nice, but for me? I'd never really appreciate it. I poked my COG out the window at sunset a few months ago, and did see that the tritium was helpful in a small part of the day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast