Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS on EDC - Auto or Manual

Feedback Score

RDS on EDC - Auto or Manual

I am new to RDS on handguns for EDC. What is the consensus - do you lock the brightness on a certain setting or do you rely on "automatic" - not sure which one is best?

Feedback Score
    I've never had a problem with automatic during the day, at night the weapon light washes out the dot on automatic for a few seconds.

If I'm out at night I bump the brightness up a couple clicks. It will go back to automatic after 10 hours.

I only use Trijicon sights, maybe one of the sell outs can give you an idea how the chinese sights work.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting variable. (low light). I've only shot these suckers in daylight. I don't really go out at night though. So I'm home with an M4 almost always when it's dark.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am thinking of a Trijicon SRO - nice big buttons to push.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andersen View Post
    I am thinking of a Trijicon SRO - nice big buttons to push.
    I love that sight. Probably my favorite Pistol RDS. It's a little taller than others, which is good for shooting... just not the most compact option available.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I always run on “Manual” function, and check Dot intensity when I leave home/office.
    Time of day, cloudy, evening/night all affect Dot intensity. I prefer Dot bright enough to pick up quickly, but not “blooming”.
    The “Auto” function doesn’t work well enough for me.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just be sure to get one that has the option.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Most folks I know don't think the auto brightness functionality is good enough for duty/concealed carry use, due to the wash-out issue. The new Holosun SCS has extra front-facing sensors to try to mitigate it, and early reports suggest that it does work much better than the auto-brightness of other Holosuns and manufacturers.

The SRO might be great for competition, but I would not really recommend it for duty/concealed carry, given that it is more fragile, along with the double dot issue that crops up when the sun is low in the horizon.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Double post.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 03-17-23 at 21:10.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I use the trijicon auto and have never had it not bright enough to see. The 3.25moa dot on my type1 is brighter in all situations than the type2 1moa. Not enough to bither me, but its noticable, not sure if its different electronics or dot size making the difference. Id recommend a 3-4moa dot . Ive tested the auto in various lighting conditions inside, includingfrom a dark area into a light area. Ive also shot with the sun low in my face and at my back. You get a shadow image of the emmitter, but once you see it its obvious its not THE dot - its been a messy blob when Ive experienced it.

The SRO is probably the best when it comes to shooting. Its a tad large, but i havent had it noticably impact concealment on a g19. IMO, its pleny durable for CC. I would choose something closed and durable like the ACRO or other option for exposed duty use if I could. Rmr would be next for that purpose.

Fwiw, the auto function on the trijicons can be turned off if you dont like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast