Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer time: Grades of Pork? "Waygu of Pork" adverts

Feedback Score

Summer time: Grades of Pork? "Waygu of Pork" adverts

Pig is pig?

I just get my ribs and pork shoulder from Costco. My local butcher seemed to have the same plastic wrap meats, for more money.

I see the Facebook adverts for the "Waygu of Pork" with nice marbelling. IFAIK there are not FDA grades of pork.

I assume that some cuts are better then others? Some farms better than others? Is there any difference that you can buy, outside of standing in front of the meat cabinet and eyeballing them? Is marbelling a driver of pork tender/tastiness?

When steak went nuts I started cooking more pork tenderloin. Wouldn't mind chops with some more fat/flavor.

Any pork snobs in the house?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There is a type of pig/pork that is known as the Wagyu of pork. It is called Iberico. I have had several cuts and I can tell you, I would surely call it ‘the Wagyu of pork’. It is not cheap but not nearly as expensive as Aussie or Japanese wagyu. Check out Campo Grande website. Pricing is not horrible but for pork will still make you choke up your coffee.

Much like I tell my friends; don’t eat good Wagyu (Aussie or Japanese) or Iberico—it will ruin regularly found meat and costs waaay more.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    IFAIK there are not FDA grades of pork.
    USDA does quality grades FYI.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    USDA does quality grades FYI.
    I don't think that I've ever seen it on the packaging???

In steak, Prime Filets at Costco are pretty good, almost buttery in flavor. The Choice stuff belongs in fajitas at best...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With pork the fatty cuts always have plenty of fat for low and slow cooking. Ribs, shoulder, butt.

The leaner cuts might benefit from a better grade, but I recommend you try sous vide before searching out designer pork.

Sous vide can safely cook to a lower temp so it doesn’t dry out. It also allows you to add flavor, something lean pork tends to be lacking. Herbs or any marinade go in the bag while cooking. My favorite is soy garlic chops.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I don't think that I've ever seen it on the packaging???
    I don't think USDA Quality grades pork. My point was that it's USDA not FDA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    With pork the fatty cuts always have plenty of fat for low and slow cooking. Ribs, shoulder, butt.

The leaner cuts might benefit from a better grade, but I recommend you try sous vide before searching out designer pork.

Sous vide can safely cook to a lower temp so it doesn’t dry out. It also allows you to add flavor, something lean pork tends to be lacking. Herbs or any marinade go in the bag while cooking. My favorite is soy garlic chops.
    Sous vide is definitely a win for pork loin and tenderloin.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Pork makes up about half my meat consumption.

The deep red cuts are the best for for tenderness if your cooking it like a steak or cubed for stir fry

The well marbled stuff is better for searing the outside, then slow cooking to render the fat.

I do enjoy butt steaks (as a steak) or roasts (pulled pork/carnitas).
    Pork butt roast (pulled) with jamaican jerk sauce, and a side of caribbean slaw is fantastic!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think USDA Quality grades pork. My point was that it's USDA not FDA.
    Ugh, work stuff leaking into brain....

I've avoided Sous Vide just on a gear and Botulism fetish. Looks like I need to up that game.

I took out a lot of the fat and cooked the pork shoulder at 225 for over 12 hours on my Yoder. Barely needed to throw any fat away when I pulled it. Son said it was the best I've done so far.

One thing is that when I pull the pork it often ends up looking more like Tuna from a can, rather than the strands of meat that see at BBQ joints. I let the meat rest for a few hours, but do I need to let it cool before I pull it? Or am I just expecting the wrong texture.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 05-25-23 at 22:35.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I trim the fat cap to get more bark. Most of my pork shoulder cooks go about 18 hours and get the nice stringy texture.

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on the smoker is cheap and tastes fantastic IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast