Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: It's official: HK416 and 417 on civilian market in late 2009

Feedback Score
    I dont regard the relocated pin as a deal breaker, but it is annoying.

It's hard to argue that forcing the consumer to buy a whole rifle is not better for HK.

Forcing the consumer to marry your brand and limit consumer mobility translates to a steady stream of cash after the initial purchase. It wouldnt be good for the SCAR/XCR/556 parent companies if they were disposable in the way Bushmaster is (You can buy a Bushmaster carbine, and never have a need to give them addtional business because you can easily be serviced by hundreds of vendors selling the same/similar product).

More important to me is how compatible the MR556 is with the 416. Can I gut a 416 upper for the barrel, spare parts etc etc, and drop them into MR556. If I can build a 416 "clone" with all HK parts, I can live with the upper/AR15 lower issue
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post

More important to me is how compatible the MR556 is with the 416. Can I gut a 416 upper for the barrel, spare parts etc etc, and drop them into MR556. If I can build a 416 "clone" with all HK parts, I can live with the upper/AR15 lower issue

This is the next important question that needs an answer.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

The pin issue is a big deal for folks who think they're entitled to an upper-only solution. No one is bitching that the SCAR needs its own lower, or the Masada/ACR, etc. Would it have been even better if HK (1) could make the upper compatible with standard AR lowers and (2) would sell the uppers as separate items? Better for us, sure. Better for HK, though? Probably not.

The pin issue is a big deal for many other people then those who just want an upper on brand X lower.

It is big deal if you are building a SBR clone of a HK416 using all HK parts. This is the real issue at hand here and most "high end" people will be involved with this.

The ACR/SCAR/XCR are completely different firearms. Not a modification of an AR15.
    Last edited by scottryan; 02-17-09 at 21:00.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I just want to make sure that I have some facts straight here. Am I correct in that no military styled weapons may be imported into the U.S except for use by police and military? If that is true then in order for H/K to be able to sell the MR556 the weapon has to be produced in the U.S, right?

So exactly how would selling the original 416 configuration in semi-auto only be in violation of any German laws if the weapon is produced here? I still fail to see how off-setting the pins would make any difference other than being an annoyance to American gun owners. It still takes the same mags, and one can assume that most every other part would be compatible as well. Maybe I am just an anal retentive idiot, but personally I like having a weapon that is compatible with other system and parts can be easily located. What would stop the German gov't from re-interpreting a current law down the road to mean something else (as happens here) and then other parts suddenly become Persona Non Grata?

Maybe I am missing the bigger picture or maybe someone needs to spell out their plan more clearly to assuage the fears or concerns of the U.S consumer?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I just want to make sure that I have some facts straight here. Am I correct in that no military styled weapons may be imported into the U.S except for use by police and military? If that is true then in order for H/K to be able to sell the MR556 the weapon has to be produced in the U.S, right?

So exactly how would selling the original 416 configuration in semi-auto only be in violation of any German laws if the weapon is produced here? I still fail to see how off-setting the pins would make any difference other than being an annoyance to American gun owners. It still takes the same mags, and one can assume that most every other part would be compatible as well. Maybe I am just an anal retentive idiot, but personally I like having a weapon that is compatible with other system and parts can be easily located. What would stop the German gov't from re-interpreting a current law down the road to mean something else (as happens here) and then other parts suddenly become Persona Non Grata?

Maybe I am missing the bigger picture or maybe someone needs to spell out their plan more clearly to assuage the fears or concerns of the U.S consumer?
    All imported guns must pass a sporting purpose test. Most guns that make it over here have been neutered in some way. Such as low cap mags thumbhole stocks ect.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    And who enacted that law? Because I sure as **** don't see "for sporting purposes" in the Second Amendment.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    And who enacted that law? Because I sure as **** don't see "for sporting purposes" in the Second Amendment.
    Its section 922 and a very annoying law.
    pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Is this rifle being 100% imported from Germany? I recall that HK was working with Wilcox to make firearms here in the US.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Alaskapopo,

Yes, I understand that. But, that isn't the real issue. The MR556 was neutered according to the statements made thus far, to be in compliance with German export laws. It would be safe to say that an MR556 wouldn't pass the sporting purposes test, regardless of where the pin is located. Since the MR556 still accepts 30+ round mags, has a pistol grip and a telescoping stock how does that meet the criteria?
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 02-18-09 at 04:05.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Getting a complete rifle in would be really problematic.

The lower receiver would either have to be US made, or unable to accept regular ar15 magazines if imported. As I understand it, getting a threaded barrel imported now is virtually impossible, so the barrels are either imported initially without threads, or the barrels are made here.

Russian Saiga and Romanian rifles are initially imported as low cap "sporters", then converted.

Exporters hate making any changes to rifles in order to export them. The russians could import a lot more of their product line if they'd stamp "saiga" on rifles like the SVD.

You'd really have to get someone to examine an MR556 to know the exact origin of the parts. Considering the technological base we have here with AR15's in the USA, it would be pretty easy to make the barrels and lower receivers here and it would cut down on a lot of paperwork.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast