Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is 7.62x39 ever a better choice than .308?

Feedback Score
    I have a Mini-14 in .300bo, no regrets. I have several firearms in both .300bo and 7.62x39 and seriously considered a Mini-30. The new Mini 30s have a proper bore and more firing pin protusion.
    To me, my Mini in .300 is a modern version of the M-1 carbine in .30 cal. It's almost as accurate as my .300bo AR at 100 yards.

No supressor, I mostly run supersonic loads but found that although subs don't cycle the action, they also don't partially eject and cause a jam. So I can operate it like a straight pull action and run thru a full mag with no jams.

But no complaints with the 7.62x39 round either. I have ARs in both calibers and overall the .300bo has better accuracy but 7.62x39 has more energy. I'd take either .30 caliber over 5.56 but 5.56 will always be the cheaper and more plentiful round.
    Last edited by wanderson; 05-03-24 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    I have a Mini-14 in .300bo, no regrets. I have several firearms in both .300bo and 7.62x39 and seriously considered a Mini-30. The new Mini 30s have a proper bore and more firing pin protusion.
    To me, my Mini in .300 is a modern version of the M-1 carbine in .30 cal. It's almost as accurate as my .300bo AR at 100 yards.

No supressor, I mostly run supersonic loads but found that although subs don't cycle the action, they also don't partially eject and cause a jam. So I can operate it like a straight pull action and run thru a full mag with no jams.

But no complaints with the 7.62x39 round either. I have ARs in both calibers and overall the .300bo has better accuracy but 7.62x39 has more energy. I'd take either .30 caliber over 5.56 but 5.56 will always be the cheaper and more plentiful round.
    300blk supers usually have a tad over 90% of the energy of 7.62x39 while having a tad under 90% of the recoil while also having 40-60% more energy than 5.56 depending on the specific loads and barrel lengths being compared.

To me, if you aren't shooting far enough to need 308, or if you aren't shooting game large enough to need something bigger than a micro action caliber then the lighter calibers are usually going to be better choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post

You probably know that Ruger set the gas oriface to work with open .300 super and suppressed .300 subs.

And that various gas orifices and an adjustable gas block are available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    They do not have .308 bores now. They are .310, 1/10 twist.

The problem with most Russian ammo isn't that the hammer system isn't sufficient. The problem is the primers are set deep and firing pin isn't quite long enough for them.

The Russian ammo is also very low quality in every way.

With quality ammo and now common, affordable Ruger made 20 rd mags, reliability is good.

Mini accuracy is decent now. 2-3 moa. Better with handloads. But as it gets hot the POI changes. So, treated as the light-duty rifle it is, it's fine. Run it hard and you get 7.62 AK-like patterns.
    My experience with Russian 7.62x39 is that it high quality especially for the price when it was available. The weapon that is used makes a big difference. After shooting AK’s and SKS’s since the 1990’s then shooting 7.62x39 out of an AR with optics was like a completely different round. 8” steel is easy to hit at 300 yards. I can get slightly better accuracy than surplus 193. The Yugo M67 is even better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I tried a few types of AR 7.62x39. They never ran well for long. No good magazines. And that could be because of the standard AR magwell shape. Just doesn't work with the X39 case.
    If you use an AR that take AK mags you get the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    I picked up an SKS for nostalgia sake.

My first semi-auto centerfire rifle was an SKS. Haven't fired this one yet. Had to get a couple small parts to complete it. Now it's complete & 100% stock SKS.

I don't think I have any purpose for a rifle cartridge between .223 and .308.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-09-24 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good Lord. We took my son's new AK out Saturday, and all I can say is I'm glad that is our enemy's weapon. Great gun, but trying to hit anything past 200 yards is comedy. Horrible sights and a piss poor cartridge are a terrible combo for rifle shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think it wise to have a 7.62 AK. Plentiful parts, accessories, magazines, and there is a lot 7.62x39mm ammo in the world. I like the AK for shitty winter weather and water use. Easy to take apart and clean. It’s my winter gun. Compared with the AR, worse ergonomics, not as accurate, no quick safety, and no bolt hold open. But its big blocky components and simplicity of design are great. It’s still relevant in my opinion. Newer bullets may be technically better but 7.62x39 still works.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMe View Post
    I think it wise to have a 7.62 AK.
    It is cool to have one around now. I'd never have bought one because it means getting mags and ammo for another platform. But when my kid's picking up the tab for all that stuff, I'm good.

His AK seems to be a smoother shooter than others I've fired. It doesn't eject empties 10 yards away. It still runs like a champ and has a great trigger.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good Lord. We took my son's new AK out Saturday, and all I can say is I'm glad that is our enemy's weapon. Great gun, but trying to hit anything past 200 yards is comedy. Horrible sights and a piss poor cartridge are a terrible combo for rifle shooting.
    I used AK's for a long time and confirm.

3.5-4 moa when cold, if you have a good example. But that quickly becomes 6 moa after it warms up.

I refer to them as a "powerful, reliable submachine gun". Which is just what it was designed to be.

If you're using the iron sights beyond 150 yds, yea, you might as well pray as you do. 300 yds with an optic? Better know that distance and hold overs/ unders. Windy? Just pray and dump the mag.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast