Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Questions on 180gr 40 S&W OAL and over-pressure dangers...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    My G23 made in '06 has been just fine with thousands of rounds of my own reloads, probably 70% of it with Titegroup.
    Does your sizing die remove the bulge pretty good? I bet I could get a load to work, but weighing out the pros and cons, I just bought 500 rounds of Win 180 gr white box from Aim at $15.95. That's friggin $10 per box cheaper than the local gun store.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah that's a good deal.

Yeah, my RCBS carbide 3-die sets resize them just fine, no different than my same type of dies did .45ACP from 1911s, or my same type does 9mm from Glocks and others.

The hype around Glock .40 chambers is way overdone on the internet.

Because .40 is an "envelope-pushing" cartridge, I only load them 10 times, then scrap. I have loaded a batch to 13 times successfully with no issue, however.

I haven't shot any .40 this year though, I dont think...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah that's a good deal.
    Freedom munitions has some $14.95 boxes. Not sure if it's a plated bullet though.

Yeah, my RCBS carbide 3-die sets resize them just fine, no different than my same type of dies did .45ACP from 1911s, or my same type does 9mm from Glocks and others.

The hype around Glock .40 chambers is way overdone on the internet.

Because .40 is an "envelope-pushing" cartridge, I only load them 10 times, then scrap. I have loaded a batch to 13 times successfully with no issue, however.

I haven't shot any .40 this year though, I dont think...
    I remember this "Glock RX" die thing that pushed the whole case through some kind of die and into a bottle. I saw that and thought WOW... this whole thing is a pain in the ass. If I'm not bored with pistol shooting by the end of this factory shipment, I may thing of buying the conversion kit and stuff then.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, never even heard of such a gimmick, in all these years of reading multiple forums, and working directly with many folks, with regard to reloading .40 in general, and for Glocks specifically.

That would be a ridiculous pain in the
    a ss.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. It was a weird creation. But it made me think that there's a real problem with reloading (mostly 40 cal) Glock brass.

Here's a video of the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcla_1Tly7c
    Last edited by markm; 05-22-24 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    Could be better off to replace the barrel. Gen 3 and after doesn't have this issue, neither do 3rd party barrels. The latter even do away with the debatable polygonal riflings.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's a bulge buster, they've been around for ages. I use one for 357 SIG & 40 S&W. You can also use a .40 S&W LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die with the guts removed. You push the cases completely through the die with a "pusher" like the ones used for push through sizing of cast bullets. BTW, the cases the guy was using in the video were playing very nicely with him. Many do not. I ended up with some 40 cases that came from a LE range, and there was a big difference between the cases that were fired in Glocks, and those that were fired in other pistols, presumably M&Ps. They're available for many calibers and do serve a very important function. Normal sizing dies cannot reach the web of the cases. https://leeprecision.com/case-condit...lge-buster-kit
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Strange how thousands of us have never needed such a device. Very interesting. I guess that's why I'd never heard of it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
    Could be better off to replace the barrel. Gen 3 and after doesn't have this issue, neither do 3rd party barrels. The latter even do away with the debatable polygonal riflings.

-TL
    This Gen 4 brass still shows visible bulges. Maybe not as bad as the older barrels, but that's the reason I hit the brakes on buying loading equipment.

Strange how thousands of us have never needed such a device. Very interesting. I guess that's why I'd never heard of it.
    I agree. I couldn't figure out if it was just something people were doing even though not needed like uniforming flash holes. I often talk to other hand loaders who tell me about steps they do, and I'm scratching my head and thinking "Why?".
    Last edited by markm; 05-23-24 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    A big 6 o'Clock belly is bad. I'd toss that stuff.

But some swelling, even in that area, is okay. Resize like normal. I like to use a little light oil on my cases just to make the "work" easier. I spray the oil on a nitrile glove I'm wearing and massage the casings in whatever container I have them. Just gets a little oil on some of them. It makes a difference.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast