Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Questions on 180gr 40 S&W OAL and over-pressure dangers...

Feedback Score
    It's not a gimmick, and it's not paranoia. It's a safety issue that needs to be addressed, trimming cases is a safety issue as well, primarily for you rifle shooters.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The brass I just shot had minor bulging. I'm sure a sizing die would put it back into shape. I'm just reluctant to take on another caliber if it's complicated. Especially pistol. Thanks for the replies.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This Gen 4 brass still shows visible bulges. Maybe not as bad as the older barrels, but that's the reason I hit the brakes on buying loading equipment.

I agree. I couldn't figure out if it was just something people were doing even though not needed like uniforming flash holes. I often talk to other hand loaders who tell me about steps they do, and I'm scratching my head and thinking "Why?".
    It shouldn't unless the load is too hot or the barrel feed ramp has been over "polished". I have a G23 gen3. Not problem at all. Sure I don't do hot loads.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
    It shouldn't unless the load is too hot or the barrel feed ramp has been over "polished". I have a G23 gen3. Not problem at all. Sure I don't do hot loads.

-TL
    This is a low round count Gen 4 LE trade in with no mods that I can tell. The load is PMC bronze factory ammo for what it's worth. It's not a terrible bulge, but it's visible to the naked eye.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is a low round count Gen 4 LE trade in with no mods that I can tell. The load is PMC bronze factory ammo for what it's worth. It's not a terrible bulge, but it's visible to the naked eye.
    That's troubling. Not supposed to happen. The bulge is due to the lack of chamber support where the feed ramp is. Glock resolved the issue in gen 3.

Perhaps PMC bronze is loaded warm? Or, very unlikely, the barrel has been replaced with a gen 2 barrel?

Could you post a picture of the bulged brass? Just curious.

-TL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's troubling. Not supposed to happen. The bulge is due to the lack of chamber support where the feed ramp is. Glock resolved the issue in gen 3.

Perhaps PMC bronze is loaded warm? Or, very unlikely, the barrel has been replaced with a gen 2 barrel?

Could you post a picture of the bulged brass? Just curious.

-TL
    Both my Gen 3 and this Gen 4 bulge brass. The PMC is running full powah. Like 957 fps for 180 gr. I'll try to get a pic of the brass this weekend.

Feedback Score
    Here are my hottest loads

180gr 930fps
    165gr 1010fps

No bulge. The barrel is gen3 Glock OEM. Your load has higher muzzle energy. Hard to say whether it has much higher pressure, as the powder is unknown. I'm loading with fast burning titegroup. Going to your speed would raise the pressure by about 10%, which could be very close to saami limit.

As I suggested, you may want to try an after-market barrel. They advertise no bulge and conventional riflings.

-TL

Last edited by tangolima; 05-25-24 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here are my hottest loads

180gr 930fps
    165gr 1010fps
    That's crazy. I bought a few boxes of PMC Bronze from the Local Gun Store, and I thought it would be weak ammo. It was definitely full power in both 180 and 165.

Shot some Win White box 180 today, but forgot to set up the Garmin to see what it was running.

Feedback Score
    They may not be full power with optimal powder. I just happen to have titegroup, which is not the best for the caliber. The loads I have are about 10-20% below max pressure. Good enough for me.

-TL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They may not be full power with optimal powder. I just happen to have titegroup, which is not the best for the caliber. The loads I have are about 10-20% below max pressure. Good enough for me.

-TL
    That's the powder I have too. I'd love to load ammo at around 80-90% of max.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast