Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over gassed ar

Feedback Score

Over gassed ar

So I have a sionics 11.5” pistol. I mainly shoot 62gr hpbt or 77s out of it. My brass is landing at 2oclock with an h2 buffer. I was shooting with a couple guys yesterday and they kept bringing up how it’s way over gassed. It runs good, doesn’t jam always feeds and ejects. So I never thought about it to much. Should I put a heavier buffer on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nah. If you’re concerned that it’s overgassed, get a BRT gas tube.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Forum induced DT..........I wish someone would fix this website.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-27-24 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    So I have a sionics 11.5” pistol. I mainly shoot 62gr hpbt or 77s out of it. My brass is landing at 2oclock with an h2 buffer. I was shooting with a couple guys yesterday and they kept bringing up how it’s way over gassed. It runs good, doesn’t jam always feeds and ejects. So I never thought about it to much. Should I put a heavier buffer on it?
    Sionics everything upper, including BCG? They are usually very good with QC.

The ejection pattern isn't always a reliable indication of whether a rifle is over gassed. If it shoots fine to you I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. I bet if you toss another BCG in there the ejection pattern changes.

That said, if it bothers you, I would try an H3, if you have one before going the BRT route, which will necessitate taking the gas system apart.

But it could be something as simple as a worn ejector spring depending on the round count.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-27-24 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Sionics everything upper, including BCG? They are usually very good with QC.

The ejection pattern isn't always a reliable indication of whether a rifle is over gassed. If it shoots fine to you I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. I bet if you toss another BCG in there the ejection pattern changes.

That said, if it bothers you, I would try an H3, if you have one before going the BRT route, which will necessitate taking the gas system apart.

But it could be something as simple as a worn ejector spring depending on the round count.
    Yes a complete sionics weapon. It doesn’t really bother me, just something that was brought up. It runs great and I’m in the camp of don’t fix what’s not broken. I’m not sure exactly on the round count, less than 1500 though I know that. Maybe less than 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It runs great and I’m in the camp of don’t fix what’s not broken.
    You're on the right track......Especially since it is Sionics everything and low round count.

Feedback Score
    If it's anywhere between 2 and 4 ejection and you don't see any other issues I wouldn't worry about it. A shorter barrel is inherently more unpleasant to shoot due to the weight the fact that their is more gas at the muzzle that doesn't dissipate as it does in longer barrels. I'm not sure what the other guys are running, but I remember the first time I shot the DD Mark18 and I hated it, I was only used to 20' and 16" guns and it was definitely something I wasn't used to
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Though it's doubtful that a full Sionics upper including the BCG, is overgassed, it's not impossible. Sometimes an extractor spring replacement will solve the problem of forward ejection. That's where I'd start.

Do you happen to know which gas port that 11.5 has? Sionics produces a couple different ones.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Nah. If you’re concerned that it’s overgassed, get a BRT gas tube.
    This for sure. I run the Sionics RGP 11.5 and it's perfect with no suppressor. A non-reduced port would drive men nuts.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This for sure. I run the Sionics RGP 11.5 and it's perfect with no suppressor. A non-reduced port would drive men nuts.
    That’s pretty much the summary of the thread about that barrel. My Hodge is like that, too. Marketed as “optimized for silencers and M855A1”, but what they really mean to say is just that it won’t reliably eat steel-cased unsuppressed. I imagine that I’d find their regular port a bit on the large side. Not to trash-talk Hodge…that barrel is perfect for what I’m using it for, and I’m sure a Sionics RGP would be, too.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast