Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Minimum caliber for all of N.American game?

Feedback Score
    When I first started hunting brown bear in a Alaska about 20yrs ago, I met an old-timer who told me, "Son, if someone tells you they can't kill it with a 30-06, they probably couldn't kill it with a cannon." I believe Col. Cooper once said that a man armed with a .22LR and a .30-06 can hunt every animal in N. America.

That being said, I use a 45/70 Gov't for big bears (with a 12ga slug gun as a backup) and 6.5x55 for everything from whitetail to moose. Guess I just won't listen to reason. However, I've yet to encounter a situation where I didn't bring enough gun.

Feedback Score
    I stopped a Grizzly charge last summer with an 8 pound splitting maul and a Glock 19 (bear stopped before getting to me thank god) 9mm hydrashock to splitting maul transition would have sucked majorly.

I Carry an 870 with Slugs or my M1A now. Need to get a friggin .45-70 with a quickness.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    I stopped a Grizzly charge last summer with an 8 pound splitting maul and a Glock 19 (bear stopped before getting to me thank god) 9mm hydrashock to splitting maul transition would have sucked majorly.

I Carry an 870 with Slugs or my M1A now. Need to get a friggin .45-70 with a quickness.
    . I about crap when I run into a black bear in my yard. I can not even imagine that. The 870 is what I use around here but black bears are not even really in the same league.

I am thinking for you three words, " Marlin, Guide, Gun".
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 03-27-09 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    300 Win. Mag. You can hunt anything in North America with it. You have a wide range of bullets to choose from. You can get a Remington 700 sendero at a reasonable price and they shoot great out of the box!

Feedback Score
    He needs to set up a poll.

Feedback Score
    Because "all North American game" includes the largest brown bear, I'd vote for the .338 Winchester Magnum. And, though recoil ("perceived" or otherwise) can be a subjective question, I don't think the .338 is that bad of a kicker in a properly stocked and padded rifle, weighing not much less than eight pounds, unloaded and sans scope.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have taken every North American large game animal except a grizzly bear with a .270 Win

I did not feel like I brought not enough gun.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score

Question The Hit list of North American Big Game animals

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I have taken every North American large game animal except a grizzly bear with a .270 Win

That is quite an accomplishment. Many men hunt an entire lifetime to acheive that goal and spend a king's ransom in the process. Bearing in mind that going on a hunt does not mean that you will come back with the animal you are after. Completion of the list makes you eligeable to receive The Weatherby award. The most prestigous award in Big Game hunting. The completion of each species slam along the way, a Diamond award is awarded by SCI.

Let's take a look at all N.A. Big Game species and sub species, the check list if you will. 5 Caribou are needed for the Caribou slam, 4 Moose are needed for the Moose slam, 6 Deer are needed for the Deer slam, 2 Elk needed for the Elk slam, 4 Sheep for the Sheep slam and 5 Bear for the Bear slam.

Caribou:
    Woodland
    Central Barren Ground
    Barren Ground
    Mountain
    Quebec-Labrador

Moose:
    Alaska-Yukon
    Shiras
    Eastern Canada
    Western Canada

Deer:
    Whitetail
    Blacktail-Columbia
    Blacktail-Sitka
    Rocky Mtn. Mule Deer
    Desert Mule Deer
    Cous

Elk:
    Roosevelt
    Rocky Mountain

Bison

Muskox

Pronghorn

Rocky Mtn. Goat

Sheep:
    Dall
    Bighorn
    Stone
    Fanin
    Desert Bighorn

Bear:
    Brown
    Grizzly
    polar
    Black
    Glacier

Wolf

Wolverine

Wild Boar

Javelina

Walrus

I would love to see your trophy room sometime.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Well I definitely have not hunted every north American game just deer and pesky critters . I saw were 338 magnum was posted. I my self have thought about a .338 but not magnum but a .338 federal maybe AR-10 http://www.gunblast.com/ArmaLite-AR10T.htm I would think that 25 rounds of .338 federal could do a lot of damage I would really like to have a scout rifle in .338 federal http://www.grizzlycustom.com/packages/scout/ If I could afford a nice custom hunting rifle. Of course its not a long range cartridge but to about 300 yards I think it could do the job for most of the time. Of course YMMV
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 05-10-09 at 01:38.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    That is quite an accomplishment. Many men hunt an entire lifetime to acheive that goal and spend a king's ransom in the process. Bearing in mind that going on a hunt does not mean that you will come back with the animal you are after. Completion of the list makes you eligeable to receive The Weatherby award. The most prestigous award in Big Game hunting. The completion of each species slam along the way, a Diamond award is awarded by SCI.

Let's take a look at all N.A. Big Game species and sub species, the check list if you will. 5 Caribou are needed for the Caribou slam, 4 Moose are needed for the Moose slam, 6 Deer are needed for the Deer slam, 2 Elk needed for the Elk slam, 4 Sheep for the Sheep slam and 5 Bear for the Bear slam.

Caribou:
    Woodland
    Central Barren Ground
    Barren Ground
    Mountain
    Quebec-Labrador

Moose:
    Alaska-Yukon
    Shiras
    Eastern Canada
    Western Canada

Deer:
    Whitetail
    Blacktail-Columbia
    Blacktail-Sitka
    Rocky Mtn. Mule Deer
    Desert Mule Deer
    Cous

Elk:
    Roosevelt
    Rocky Mountain

Bison

Muskox

Pronghorn

Rocky Mtn. Goat

Sheep:
    Dall
    Bighorn
    Stone
    Fanin
    Desert Bighorn

Bear:
    Brown
    Grizzly
    polar
    Black
    Glacier

Wolf

Wolverine

Wild Boar

Javelina

Walrus

I would love to see your trophy room sometime.

I meant I've hunted every kind of animal. Not every subspecies.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast