Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That second one is nice. Puts the ocular/nasal cavity in the right place too.

We did a whole block at drills nights on brain shots vs. head shots, aiming reference points, etc.

Paper targets for us are a budgetery constraint though. We wind up using cardboard as a backer and the paper then increases the overall costs. I guess we could try to use, and re-use, non-target backers that might be cheaper. If I could come up with a cardboard + paper that was a net wash in terms of cost I'd be getting somewhere.

ETA:
    This is helpful, in terms of cost
    25-99 $0.48/ea
    100-499 $0.37/ea

Last edited by rob_s; 08-24-09 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I shoot IDPA regularly at our local club. I shoot a M&P 40c because that is what I carry most.

I just picked up a PM9 and may shoot a match with it to see how well I can run under match conditions.

I use a Galco Matrix M3X paddle holster because my IWB is not reinforced at the top and is sketchy with reholstering. I use a Fobus double mag holder with the paddle and a Blackhawk belt clip mag holder for a third mag.

I often am complimented (or teased depending on the shooter) about shooting a compact but I stay with the run-what-you-carry philosophy.

The only thing I have to add to this discussion is that we have a club member who has started setting up a blind stage each month. It adds a lot to the match but is a bugger because of the time it takes to set up.

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-24-09 at 11:20.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    I've been an IDPA participant since 1998. I'm a certified SO, SO Instructor, was a club MD for 4.5 years and have MD'ed two state level matches.

IMHO, IDPA is simply another option for getting some trigger time and having some fun at the range. The benefits of the trigger time is pretty much in the shooter's hands (no pun intended). IDPA has enough flexibility to allow each shooter to decide to go "fun-n-gun' or lean more toward the tactical side.

As some have stated, IDPA is NOT training. Is a fun game...or at least it's fun when I shoot well!
    Last edited by DM-SC; 08-24-09 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I think now that I shoot a M&P Pro and a M&P45 and have had the grips textured I have to shoot in ESP and CDP division because texturing isn't allowed but grip tape is for SSP........another weird rule.
    As long as you only have the removable grip panel textured, you're still good to go in SSP. It's when you texture the frame that you get pushed into ESP/CDP.

Feedback Score
    For IDPA, where does the holster have to be? Trigger guard behind the midline? Does this mean 3 oclock or further back?

Do you have to wear a tacti-ghey vest, or can I run my IWB and a shirt?

Buddy wants to start next month shooting, and since our wives are the actual 'friends', they are powerless to stop us! Muuuu-ha-ha-ha!
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 08-24-09 at 12:23.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    For IDPA, where does the holster have to be? Trigger guard behind the midline? Does this mean 3 oclock or further back?

Do you have to wear a tacti-ghey vest, or can I run my IWB and a shirt?

Buddy wants to start next month shooting, and since our wives are the actual 'friends', they are powerless to stop us! Muuuu-ha-ha-ha!
    You have the holster position correct...just add in that SOB holsters are not allowed.

No, vest is required.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have shot club level IDPA on and off for years. I have used 9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP in Glock, 1911 and BHP platforms. I am one of those that shows up with a hot carry gun (I discretely unload in the privacy of my vehicle - I wouldn't recommend it for everyone), shoot that gun in the match, and (discretely re-charge with carry ammo in the vehicle - again wouldn't recommend it for everyone) the same gun just before I drive out. I dress just like I do for the season - I've shot a lot of matches in flip flops, shorts and a polo over shirt. I shoot every stage concealed. I use my same holster regardless - a VM2.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Failure to Neutralize is 30 seconds (which is nicer than the DNF that I want to assign).
    Brother from another mother!!!!

It is stuff like FTN that creates a disconnect for me with the game. There are more but, why go into it - it is just a game and I stopped playing the game years ago.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    No, vest is required.
    I think you meant to leave the comma out.

To be perfectly clear, vests are NOT required. You can conceal the way you normally do in the street.

In fact, what Mo Zam Beek describes is exactly what I do. I wear no tacti-cool gamer vest, no special plastic fantastic straight drop cut-down front holster, no special mag pouches, no gamer anything.

I come in carrying hot, unload in the truck, change ammo from hollowpoints to reloads, reholster cold, and go on my way to shoot. My concealment are the clothes I wear on a daily basis to hide my pistol.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    As long as you only have the removable grip panel textured, you're still good to go in SSP. It's when you texture the frame that you get pushed into ESP/CDP.
    I had the front area textured too. All M&Ps are textured there from the factory but I had Hatfield Gunsmithing texture it a little rougher.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I have been shooting IDPA for about 10 years and SOing for about 5 years.
    I just taught an Into to IDPA class for my local shooting club yesterday. As I told my students and as several others have mentioned above, IDPA is a sport. In no way is it tactical self defense training.

While IDPA may require drawing from concealment and use of cover, it is no more self defense training than Bullseye, Service Rifle or Rimfire Silhouette matches. Shooting any of the firearms sports can help you improve your firearms manipulation skills, teach you to perform under the stress of competition and improve your confidence in your shooting abilities but none of them are a substitute for quality training in self defense with firearms.

I suffered though many matches in the past when when shooters would argue about their poor scores or their earned penalties because "well, that's the way I woulda shot it in real life".

It's a frigging game and that's all it is. Shoot it fast and game it to the max or shoot it tactical and take 30 seconds to pie a corner and have a low score. Be safe, have fun but remember that it's just a game.

As far as targets, one of the best is the Ken Reed's Reed Reactor, which is similar to John Hearne's excellent targets but sized for IDPA
    Hit's outside the head or 0 down zone don't neutralize the target.

One last comment. If you're club is not following IDPA rules and allowing folks to shoot with illegal equipment, don't call it an IDPA match. Call it "Super Duper Shootin match" or whatever but don't call it IDPA. I'm all for getting new shooters into the sport but allowing cheating, be it equipment or otherwise does not help the sport or the shooter.

Gringop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast