Thread: Kel-Tec Sub2000

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, I realize this is an awesome level of necropost, but I thought it better than starting a whole new thread.

For the folks who have had a sub2000, now that it's three years since this thread was started, how has your carbine held up?

I've always been interested in one of these for the Glock mags, since I carry Glock 9mms, and I'd like to have a discrete long gun for road trips and traveling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine started off bad. Had an issue with the safety, trigger, FTFs, and FTEs.

Had to go back to Kel-Tec twice. Their customer service was excellent.

Now it runs well. Very accurate and fun to use. I added the rubber cover for better cheek weld (not as hot).

I enjoy it, but would not grab it to protect my family. I really wanted to be able to use it as a protection firearm in some specific scenarios, but I've never been able to trust it in that role. It is interesting enough to me that I keep it and tinker with it. It is the only firearm I have that I do not fully trust - it's the only one I've ever kept that I don't fully trust.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    My best friend has had one for 9 years. It runs like a clock with factory glock mags, cheekweld sucks, I don't like the sights but they are accurate. Everytime I shoot it I tell myself I'm gonna buy one but haven't yet
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    I had one and made it work but never really liked to shoot it. fold and carry, yes. shoot, no. If I was in the market for that sort of thing again, I'd look really closely at a Hipoint. But I'm not. I just don't feel comfortable trusting my life with those things, and that's a pre-requisite for my gun purchases. I guess the closest thing which I would consider would be an SKS, considering (a) carbine and (b) cost.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I have one in the Beretta configuration and it is very dependable and accurate. The rifling in the barrel looked pretty crappy, but it shoots really well in any event. I have shot it about 400 rounds and no problems at all. Mine is still stock with only a KelTec sling added to it. I use the 15, 20 and 30 round mags and all work fine.

I am surprised at its accuracy and was a little surprised at the recoil from the gun. But I like it as a compact truck gun, plinker, fun gun. I originally got it for home defense, and still keep it nearby the bed, but there's lots of other stuff I grab first, like 12 ga or .357 mag. It was a good $300 or so investment for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK, so I bought that sub 2000 I had been looking at for awhile, $320 seemed really decent from what I have found on the intardnets for a new in the box gun.

Bought the G17 mag 9mm version, a couple of weeks ago, and first day at the range shot a 31 round mag of each of the following types of rounds;

124gr +P Gold Dot
    115gr WWB ball
    115gr Remington bulk pack JHP
    124gr +P Winchester Ranger-T
    115gr Cor Bon JHP
    124gr Geco/RWS ball

and ten rounds each of;

127gr +P+ Winchester Ranger-T
    Cor Bon 100gr PowRball
    Some FMJ factory reloads of unknown origin (I think they were HSM "Montana Gold" but I forget).

...with no fails-to-anything to report, perked right along without any drama so far.

This little gun has a surprising amount of recoil for a 9mm, not objectionable to me, but noticeable, like twice as much as say an M4 carbine.

I was at the 25 that day and it was accurate with all of the ammo I put through it, in context that is, it ain't a sniper rifle but it seems about as accurate as my 10-22 off-hand and from a barricade rest.

I sure wish those BFG front sights were still available, that would be the shit.

I finally got a chance to zero the gun about a week after initially firing it and ran both our pistol and patrol rifle qual courses, cleaned them both.

Since then I have also tried a number of other ball and JHP rounds, it feeds everything so far.

I wasn't going to clean the gun till it choked, but after passing it around at an in-service range day I was helping instruct I lost count of how many rounds had gone through it, well over 500 now, so I stripped it down out of curiosity, wiped the crud off the bolt, lightly oiled, and banged off another 31 round mag of 124gr ball to be sure I had put the gun back together correctly.

I like it so far.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bringing this back from the dead to ask a question. I have both .40 and 9mm glocks. Which would be more effective from this platform? I dont know if I want to get one in 9 or .40 and it will really come down to performance