Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    yes, on caliber and barrel length. they'll probably kick it back at you for being incomplete if you leave anything blank. for caliber, just write whatevers written on the side of the lower being SBRd. doesn't really matter. you'll be able to make any changes you want later, but the ATF wants to be notified when you make "any permanent modification." you don't need to get permission, just an after the fact note is fine.

you can order the upper at any time. put it in your safe, leave it with a friend, bury it in the backyard... all depends on how paranoid you are. the ATF, i'm sure, would rather you not even purchase the upper until your approved form comes back- but the LAW says it's not a crime until you affix upper to lower. "constructive intent" tends to get blown out of proportion... just do what you're comfortable with.

yes.. form 4 for suppressors.
    So LEGALLY I could purchase a short barrel upper at any time whether I have my approved paperwork back or not? Wow, I would have figured that you would have to show your forms before purchasing, much like a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireglock View Post
    If you're building the SBR with your lower and a purchased upper then you need a Form 1, if you're purchasing a complete firearm then it would be a Form 4 just like the suppressor.
    Does anything change if I am building one from scratch rather than purchasing a complete SBR upper?
    Last edited by Mike from Texas; 03-17-10 at 10:00.
    An honest Government has no fear of an armed population.
    PSALM 109:8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    So LEGALLY I could purchase a short barrel upper at any time whether I have my approved paperwork back or not? Wow, I would have figured that you would have to show your forms before purchasing, much like a suppressor.

Does anything change if I am building one from scratch rather than purchasing a complete SBR upper?
    Yes you can purchase a complete NFA upper without paperwork.

Nope, you still need a Form 1. Parts build or complete upper makes no difference, only if you buy a complete firearm.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here is a link that will allow you to mail forms to your house for free...just to make it easier for some people.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Feedback Score

Engraving

One thing to be aware of with the engraving is that you'll want to make sure you be careful of using abbreviations in it. I've heard some stories where folks who went the trust route had to redo the engraving because they used abbreviations for their trust name, and the BATF&E rejected it.

But the challenge then is that if you wait to engrave after the approval, you'll need to be at the shop while it's being engraved so you don't have what could be considered an illegal transfer.

I engraved before the approval, but made sure I used the full trust name.

YMMV...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    how the hell can the BATF "reject" something they're never going to see?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The original post here is good, but it strikes me that it's missing an important part of the equation, which is the paperwork aspect. Some of the missing information is scattered throughout the thread, but I wonder if Scott could edit the original post to add the paperwork chain?

Individual:
    A) fill out paperwork (in duplicate, IIRC?)
    B) get fingerprinted
    C) get Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) sign-off on forms, usually the Sheriff or police chief in your county/city.
    D) write $200 check to BATFE and mail form(s) and check to the CORRECT address

Corporation or Trust:
    A) fill out paperwork (in duplicate, IIRC?)
    B) write $200 check to BATFE and mail form(s) corp/trust paperwork and check to the CORRECT address

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

Just left the gunshop that does all the forums and engraving for SBRs in my area. I told them that I had a stripped lower and wanted to get it engraved before I completely assemble lower. They told me that "you do not have to engrave the lower". He also said "just make sure you have your paperwork and your good to go". How true is this????? I also found some info on the web that says the samething, but there is tons of misleading info out there.

Thanks

Brad
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    If you are building your rifle from a non-registered lower using a form 1 then you need to have your name, city and state engraved. Having a copy of the paperwork would be a good thing though.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb55 View Post
    Just left the gunshop that does all the forums and engraving for SBRs in my area. I told them that I had a stripped lower and wanted to get it engraved before I completely assemble lower. They told me that "you do not have to engrave the lower". He also said "just make sure you have your paperwork and your good to go". How true is this????? I also found some info on the web that says the samething, but there is tons of misleading info out there.

Thanks

Brad

Chapters 6 and 7 will help you out. Your dealer should stick to engraving.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    how the hell can the BATF "reject" something they're never going to see?
    Field 4h on Form 1 is where you need to put what will be engraved. If you don't put anything in there, they'll likely reject and ask you to resubmit. 4h is where you put "who" is making the unregistered receiver into an NFA registered item... i.e. the individual, trust, or corporation. Like others stated, I put my full trust name, as well as the city and state I reside in.
    Last edited by Wolverines!; 04-24-10 at 20:47.

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast