Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.5 inch AR-15 reliability

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Scott. I know you have a better argument than that.

(I'm not calling you out with this next comment.)

Why do you say he didn't convince them of anything?

(I wouldn't say one way or another.)

None of those instructors use such a weapon as their primary go to gun. I bet most of them don't even own a 7.5" gun in 5.56.

Using a gun like this in training is fooling yourself. It has too much muzzle blast and not enough lethality. The quickness of handling of this short gun is not reality.

You need a regular length SBR for real world use to kill someone in the real world.

Short 7.5" guns are used for a break contact weapon. They are made to spray as much bullets into the bad guy or vehicle the bad guy is in and get away, then the shooter switches to a real SBR.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My two cents on the issue. When I was in Iraq a few guys had DPMS 7.5" guns and they didn't always run so good.

The dwell time and cycle of operation is violent and brutal. Some of them may run good, but I just don't see the real value in it. I would much rather have an additional 3 inches of barrel that will give me more reliability and better ballistics. Not to mention most all suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their cans on 7.5" barrels.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would like to see 5.56mm MARS or 6x35 TSWG in 8 inch barrels made readily available.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    We can't take you serously when you are running a YHM rail, Model 1 upper, and some off brand silencer.
    I thought this post was in jest, but I guess not.

"How can we take you seriously? You're wearing last year's Gucci boots!"

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    None of those instructors use such a weapon as their primary go to gun. I bet most of them don't even own a 7.5" gun in 5.56.

Using a gun like this in training is fooling yourself. It has too much muzzle blast and not enough lethality. The quickness of handling of this short gun is not reality.

You need a regular length SBR for real world use to kill someone in the real world.

Short 7.5" guns are used for a break contact weapon. They are made to spray as much bullets into the bad guy or vehicle the bad guy is in and get away, then the shooter switches to a real SBR.
    It's a niche weapon system to be sure within that niche 3" less of OAL might be worth the tradeoff in the cramped confines of a vehicle or for the ability to stuff it under a coat. Not everyone is an infantryman or security contractor in some 3rd world shithole expecting to get ambushed by dudes with RPGs and AKs. From what admittedly little ballistic testing data I've seen the right 5.56 load (not ****ing FMJ) should still do the job within typical SD or LE distances (i.e. within 50yds). No it's not optimal, but optimal is a moving target depending on what you're doing. Mission drives the gear right?

Also, you can get your point across without being combative and condescending but if you're going to do it anyway at the very least let the rest of us in on your resume & extensive real world experience so we can put your [obviously strong] opinion into a frame of reference.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 01-13-11 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    My two cents on the issue. When I was in Iraq a few guys had DPMS 7.5" guns and they didn't always run so good.

The dwell time and cycle of operation is violent and brutal. Some of them may run good, but I just don't see the real value in it. I would much rather have an additional 3 inches of barrel that will give me more reliability and better ballistics. Not to mention most all suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their cans on 7.5" barrels.
    And there you go.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    And there you go.
    ...is M1S any better?!?

Never heard that one before...
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Please post your credentials. No carbine classes or tacticool mumbo jumbo; I want to know the last time you killed someone with real world super scary gun bullets. Otherwise, knock the "killing people" shit off.

PS- Show me a shooter on a PSD or entry team who carries a "break contact SBR" and a "real SBR" while on the job. That made my night.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePAL84 View Post
    ...is M1S any better?!?

Never heard that one before...
    I don't know. Never tried a Model 1. But I have used a DPMS Kitty Kat and had issues with cycling reliably. I had the gas port opened up, ran a BCM BCG and a 9mm buffer to get it running. Then with the gas port opened up, it would get dirty quickly.

My Ranier build has run from the first shot. It has never balked on anything I've put through it. It also has a relatively small gas port and doesn't get dirty as quick.
    1/8 twist allows me to use a wider variety of ammo and has decent accuracy at 100 yards.
    I've run it suppressed and unsuppressed.
    Dave
    Last edited by shadow65; 01-14-11 at 09:12.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast