Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest truth about ss barrels?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by long-shot View Post
    I'm willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that a semiautomatic .223 could not achieve these results after 10K rounds.... Even Noveske!
    I would, have to agree with you here, while Noveskes are a fine rifle, their still a "parts" rifle, specd to what he wants. IMO you paying more for a name and can get the same results from BCM, Stoner, LMT, LaRue, etc, and any other fine builder of parts, and or complete rifles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    How about a chrome lined 7.62mm Barrel?

Chromoly Steel

The chrome lined barrels on the SR-25 EMC's stay sub-moa till around 11k rounds, after that the gas port errosion tends to eat into reliability, though the barrel still can one hole them. These are dual role guns that generally shoot a lot of close quick fire rounds as well.

A normal chromoly steel M110/Mk11 barrel will generally degrade around the 7k mark.

All the above depending on firing schedule, I was in Singapore for a trial, and they had some old SR-25's that had the cold hammer forged barrels that had 18k and still where the hammer of hell in the .5MOA mark out to 800m -- however that user group cleaned them well and treated them like a bolt action rifle more than a semi-auto.

I'll shoot some 10 rd groups this week and compare and contrast to the 5 rds groups.
    I have always maintained, that a good CL barrel, with good loads, can shoot under 1 MOA, as well as 90% of AR shooters. Nice groups!

Feedback Score
    That's pretty dam impressive. My understanding is FN selected their chrome lined barrels for their bolt guns by test firing them. The rejected barrels were sent back to the MG line. Can you give us a little info on how you select your CL barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    All the above depending on firing schedule, I was in Singapore for a trial, and they had some old SR-25's that had the cold hammer forged barrels that had 18k and still where the hammer of hell in the .5MOA mark out to 800m -- however that user group cleaned them well and treated them like a bolt action rifle more than a semi-auto.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    I would, have to agree with you here, while Noveskes are a fine rifle, their still a "parts" rifle, specd to what he wants. IMO you paying more for a name and can get the same results from BCM, Stoner, LMT, LaRue, etc, and any other fine builder of parts, and or complete rifles
    ===================

......mmmmmmmmmm....
    IMO...sounds like somebody doesn't like Noveske.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gets built -- if it does not shoot, it goes into scrap.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    Hey guys. How long will new ss barrels last with their accuracy, say around 10k rounds with no significant accuracy loss?

Thanks guys!
    KevinB's Douglas barrel went 18,000 before groups opened up, and I really can't say about mine because I haven't shot enough through the SS ARs to get even close to that.

However, when you consider that a new stainless barrel costs (BCM $299 for SS410 16-18" or Noveske 16-18" $455-465 or Lothar Walther $325, Douglas up to $350, Krieger $290-450) you are looking at spending $4,500 in ammunition (15,000 rounds at $300 per 1,000 for cheap commercial ammo, double it for match ammo) before incurring the cost of re-barreling your AR and the cost of a premium match barrel would be only about $300-450.

The reality is that a premium stainless steel barrel is actually a low cost item when compared to other running costs.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 02-08-11 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The reality is that a premium stainless steel barrel is actually a low cost item when compared to other running costs.
    Cameron
    Might be why some of these beautiful guns are only seen and not their groups!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have found that it's exponentially easier to build a beautiful precision AR, than it is to then take that beautiful AR and make it produce on paper.

It takes numerous range trips with different loads, tweeks, and in my case mind sets/mental focus in order to finally hone in my latest build and get it shooting to my expectations. To me that is the fun stuff, and I enjoy the tedious and time consuming work/effort involved in not only building a precision AR, but making it earn the mark on paper once built.

It took 7-8 trips with my recent precision AR to the range in order to produce my best group to date with this particular build. That is like 400-500rds. fired before I could figure it all out....aka..the cost of a new Rock SS barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    25 meter target at 25 Meters actual distance.
    I'm confused how your groups at 25 meters equal out to sub MOA. I've always understood that if you're measuring groups for MOA, then you had to shoot those groups at least at 100yds.

I shoot those kind of groups when I zero my M4 as well, but I've never considered that a sub MOA group. Not trying to flame you, just asking for an education.

For what it's worth I'm an 11B4V

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    25 meter target at 25 Meters actual distance.
    Are you joking? You are using a 25m target as proof that the M4 with M855 is somehow a sub MOA shooter. That’s just silly.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast