Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Impressions of my first AR

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
    Range Report: CMMG AR-15 Carbine.

I took the AR for its first range trip today. I went to the local indoor range with my father and only put 100 rounds through it. The rifle side of the range is only 20yds but it gave me a good feel of how everything works. I also got a chance to roughly adjust the new Primary arms M3 red dot sight. I say roughly because the benches there do not lend them selves well to steady rifle shooting. I ended up using the magazine as a monopod…eventually I’ll take it to an outdoor range to finalize the adjustments.

Once I got the sights aligned, I could reliably shoot a 1” grouping at 20 yards…. this took considerable control and patience to balance everything since I had to bend forward to use the bench.

Initial thoughts:
    The rifle performed well with no major performance issues. There are a couple things I’d like to change. I will most likely invest in the following:

- Replacement MBUS rear sights that are lower profile to fit the 3X flip magnifier
    - A new flip-to-side magnifier mount. The existing one from primary arms is a pain in the ass to move.
    - Trigger job (probably just refining the single-stage trigger)
    - A Magpul CTS stock or similar. The existing stock feels very cheap and does not seem to be stable
    Sir,

Please do not take the following commentary wrong it is merely an observation and meant to encourage you to shoot and not spend.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Shooting 100 rounds on a 20 yard indoor range with your first AR DOES NOT qualify as a litmus test for you, your gun or the gear on it.

In theory lets pretend that you you use 30 round magazines AND you filled them up appropriately (not 30rds). That means you shot enough to change magazines 4 times and made the gun a little dirty.

I don't believe for a second that enough performance data was acquired to decide there was anything about your trigger that needs modification.

Shooting a consistent 1" group at 20 yards should be second nature LONG before you purchase an optic, let alone a "flip" to the side or up or whatever magnifier. Seriously? A magnifier?

It is also not; by your description, sounding like you even were able to BZO (zero, @ 20ds?) that gun.
    1. Learn your iron sights on a 25yd or better yet 50yd range.
    2. Get an optic.
    3. Co-witness that optic it with your irons.
    4. If "NEEDED" get a magnifier.

Regarding the stock:
    1. Is this a new rifle?
    2. Have you shot AR's (plural) before?

The reason I'm asking these questions is:
    I'm not convinced that 100 rounds out of a new manufacture AR will tell someone who doesn't have a fair amount of trigger time on an AR anything about the stocks capability. Especially when you state that you had to use the magazine as a "mono-pod" (in my opinion that is not acceptable. Others will disagree).

If that gun is new you may need to put a few hundred rounds or more through it for a break-in period before really understanding what YOU and that gun need to tweak, for a more serious future shooting experience.

Personally I don't know what the costs will be if you buy, replace and or have someone modify the things you listed in your post, but I'll bet you its far less than a 1K round case of ammo and a range membership at the local R&G club will be. Maybe you could even squeeze in a formal training day with a trainer in your area.

LASTLY go here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

Rob S and a few others have some VERY sage advice on that thread.

Again no insult is meant. I genuinely want you to get out there and shoot and ask questions and learn. But STOP SPENDING MONEY ON STUFF and get some ammo and training.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW67 View Post
    You do see the smiley face, right?

And I don't have strong feelings about this forum. It's just another forum. I take in what is dished out. Disect it and figure 90% of it is pure bs and go on. If that makes me a troll to you, then that is your god given right.
    Your post came across as highly cynical and sanctimonious.
    Understanding that it is difficult to communicate subtle nuances such as body language and tone of voice, I would consider proof reading your posts as to not come across as something you are not.

I apologize if I took it the wrong way, but certainly I couldn't have been the only one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Your post came across as highly cynical and sanctimonious.
    Understanding that it is difficult to communicate subtle nuances such as body language and tone of voice, I would consider proof reading your posts as to not come across as something you are not.

I apologize if I took it the wrong way, but certainly I couldn't have been the only one.
    No apologies neccessary amoung gun owners. I meant it as a joke which is why I put in a smiley face.
    If you're in range, so are they...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A young trainee told a Firearms Instructor at the range. "Sir. I don't know why I suck with the M4 here, on Call of Duty I kick ass with it."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW67 View Post
    You do see the smiley face, right?
    Indeed I do, and it's not a damned hall pass for shitheads.

Post because you have something to say, not because you feel like saying something. There's a big difference.

Don't post in this thread again, even to respond to me.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    Sir,

Please do not take the following commentary wrong it is merely an observation and meant to encourage you to shoot and not spend.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Shooting 100 rounds on a 20 yard indoor range with your first AR DOES NOT qualify as a litmus test for you, your gun or the gear on it.

In theory lets pretend that you you use 30 round magazines AND you filled them up appropriately (not 30rds). That means you shot enough to change magazines 4 times and made the gun a little dirty.

I don't believe for a second that enough performance data was acquired to decide there was anything about your trigger that needs modification.

Shooting a consistent 1" group at 20 yards should be second nature LONG before you purchase an optic, let alone a "flip" to the side or up or whatever magnifier. Seriously? A magnifier?

It is also not; by your description, sounding like you even were able to BZO (zero, @ 20ds?) that gun.
    1. Learn your iron sights on a 25yd or better yet 50yd range.
    2. Get an optic.
    3. Co-witness that optic it with your irons.
    4. If "NEEDED" get a magnifier.

Regarding the stock:
    1. Is this a new rifle?
    2. Have you shot AR's (plural) before?

The reason I'm asking these questions is:
    I'm not convinced that 100 rounds out of a new manufacture AR will tell someone who doesn't have a fair amount of trigger time on an AR anything about the stocks capability. Especially when you state that you had to use the magazine as a "mono-pod" (in my opinion that is not acceptable. Others will disagree).

If that gun is new you may need to put a few hundred rounds or more through it for a break-in period before really understanding what YOU and that gun need to tweak, for a more serious future shooting experience.

Personally I don't know what the costs will be if you buy, replace and or have someone modify the things you listed in your post, but I'll bet you its far less than a 1K round case of ammo and a range membership at the local R&G club will be. Maybe you could even squeeze in a formal training day with a trainer in your area.

LASTLY go here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

Rob S and a few others have some VERY sage advice on that thread.

Again no insult is meant. I genuinely want you to get out there and shoot and ask questions and learn. But STOP SPENDING MONEY ON STUFF and get some ammo and training.
    Thank you for this. It is a refreshing change.

To the OP, I hate being told to just shoot more, just practice more, just do this and that but in all reality it is the truth.

Personally, I bought my rifle, put a DD rail I bought for $100 just because I wanted to put a light on later and it was a good deal at the moment. I put an ambi bolt catch lever which I already know was a good idea after taking my first class. Threw on a sling, bought several magazines, and a case of 500 rounds. My next purchase will probably be a VFG if I find a super deal on it, probably a used piece. I feel more comfortable with holding the mag well than the rail, thinking maybe it will be an improvement. But seeing as I only shoot maybe 100-200 rounds a month, I'm looking at a couple months till I look for a VFG.

Just remember, it is hard to enjoy shooting it when you spent all the money on parts and not ammo. I spent tax return money on a bunch of junk, then my transmission blew and I don't have much money to use to get ammo. Lessons learned.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I know very low post count for me.
    I started shooting when I was about 9 or 10, competed in smallbore all the way through college, and shoot about 500-750 rounds per month, handgun, and rifle.

I recently got a new Colt 1911, and first impulse was to send to custom shop for trigger work, and sights, etc. In last two months I have put around 1000 rounds through it, and have found I shoot much better with it than any of my other handguns, thus, not changing anything on it.

Lots of great advice here, these guys know what they are doing. Take their advice, find a place where you can go past 100 yards, and buy ammo before you spend anything on the rifle, optics or whatever. Buy Ammo, shoot rifle, buy more ammo and shoot some more, preferably at longer distance.

Feedback Score
    Originally Posted by SirPeasant
    I just installed a Geissele SD-C trigger in one of my rifles. Love it.
    Tonight I spent 4 hours trying to polish the trigger of the 2nd rifle and by golly they were super noticeably smoother and well polished compared to when I started. I even slightly bent the hammer spring to lighten it up a bit. End result. Only a slight and I do mean SLIGHT difference in how the trigger felt. Just a little bit better but not what I expectred.
    My point: I feel it a waste of time trying to make the stock trigger better. Just throw in the towel and go with a good aftermarket trigger and you will love your trigger much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Or, you could just, you know, learn to shoot and all.
    Thanks for your help Sir -- Today I shot my rifle with my new Geissle trigger I installed 2 nights ago and the shots were touching each other. I been shooting rifles and handguns for 49 years now and have won second place at several events. Maybe I will learn how to shoot in a couple more years. Have a great weekend Sir.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never measured them.... I was just tossing a figure out there.

The subject just gets old after a while.
    Holy Shit! I hope these guys never shoot a double action revolver...they'll declare it unfit for use!

After mastering my DA/SA SIG P228 (had it for years...about 6300 rounds through it so far), ALL rifle triggers feel like I'm cheating.

Rob said it...learning to shoot is a skill that transfers across all platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPeasant View Post
    Thanks for your help Sir -- Today I shot my rifle with my new Geissle trigger I installed 2 nights ago and the shots were touching each other. I been shooting rifles and handguns for 49 years now and have won second place at several events. Maybe I will learn how to shoot in a couple more years. Have a great weekend Sir.
    49 years and still haven't figured out how to do it? Christ man, throw in the towel!

In all seriousness, we hear this all the time. Number of years shooting is utterly meaningless, as is "won second place at many events". Your post is full of holes (no pun intended) and isn't worth the time it took to write it. In order for it to be worthwhile you'd need to add (at a minimum):
    • type of competition
    • when the competition took place
    • what kind of firearm was used
    • what kind of firearms you've been using for the last 49 years
    • how long you've been shooting the AR with the stock trigger
    • the make and model of AR
    • number of rounds per session
    • number of rounds total
    • number of rounds per group
    • optic used
    • barrel used
    • shooting position used
    • make and model of ammo used
    • etc.

As someone else in this thread to eloquently put it, post because you have something to say, not because you want to say something. This may help you going forward.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast