Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 'Enhanced Series' S&W 1911s

Feedback Score
    I haven't actually seen one but they sound promising. They do look good and S&W is the only external extractor 1911 that I would trust if I was in the market for one.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    We've had two E Series come through our store(stainless no rail),they seem to be evrything they claim to be.We have a bunch on order.Thanks for the Hilton Yam link.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Glanced at the guy shooting in the lane next to me today and saw he was shooting a 1911 with the telltale S&W fishscale serrations. The gentleman told me he bought the S&W 1911 yesterday - his was the 'E' series stainless model with the rail - and this was its first day at the range. It was functioning perfectly. I put a few rounds through it - I found it accurate with a really nice trigger. I really liked the frontstrap serrations - I've handled 20LPI frontstraps before and found them uncomfortable - these provided a good gripping surface without proving abrasive. The Novak sights were perfectly serviceable.

I'm going to have a really hard time not picking one up.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-17-11 at 17:32. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just read that whole very informative writeup at 10-8. Reminds me of why I got out of the 1911 game..... Now if the Gen4 Glocks could just have all of their fleas shaken out

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah, I didn't take 10-8 report on S&W 1911 as a particularly positive one, and I am a 1911 aficionado.
    Hilton Yam seems like a good dude and good 1911 smith, but he has been wrong before with his out-of-box 1911 recommendations; ask me how I know...
    I'd wait for more data on this pistol - from him and any other reputable source.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yeah, I didn't take 10-8 report on S&W 1911 as a particularly positive one, and I am a 1911 aficionado.
    Hilton Yam seems like a good dude and good 1911 smith, but he has been wrong before with his out-of-box 1911 recommendations; ask me how I know...
    I'd wait for more data on this pistol - from him and any other reputable source.
    I didn't think he was recommending them. He reported multiple malfunctions. Hardly a glowing review. I took the report as a honest, accurate assessment. It seems as if he thinks they have potential, but that there are still a few bugs to work out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    I didn't think he was recommending them. He reported multiple malfunctions. Hardly a glowing review. I took the report as a honest, accurate assessment. It seems as if he thinks they have potential, but that there are still a few bugs to work out.
    No he didn't, he said "I feel that the E Series as it currently stands is very close to being a great out of the box service 1911, but the issues exhibited by my sample show that it is only "very close" and not all the way there."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my eyes this version of S&W 1911s holds promise, especially after my personal experience with one a couple weeks ago. A close friend purchased the 4.25" version with the bobtail and scandium frame. Right out of the box it ran like a champ and ejected brass like I have never seen a 1911 do before. No break-in or magazine issues that you typically see with a production 1911, especially one with an abbreviated slide.

Over the course of a weekend he shot several hundred rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 grain as well as 50 of my 200 grain lead reloads. Besides him shooting the gun, his wife and son, another friend, and myself all had an opportunity to shoot it and it did not hiccup once. While this was a limited test and a sample of one. we saw none of the issues that Hilton had in his evaluation.

The things I like best are the removal of the firing pin safety and the upgrade to the Performance Center extractor. It will be interesting to see how they hold up under high round count conditions.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    ... No break-in or magazine issues that you typically see with a production 1911, especially one with an abbreviated slide...
    No reflection on this pistol (I don't have one) but I have never had any of the "break-in or magazine issues" that you describe as "typical" of a production 1911 regardless of slide length. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but your statement seems a little broad to me.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hilton Yam posted two articles on the external extractor at the 10-8 Blog here...

I'm convinced of the merits of an external extractor equipped 1911 - it'll be interesting to see if S&W finally 'cracked the code'. It is too bad that S&W didn't enter an 'E Series' into the USMC M45 competition - I'd be curious to see their 1911 perform against the Colt and Springfield offerings. The external extractor is certainly a step in the right direction for unit maintenance.

I'm also curious to see if the external extractor enhances the reliability of Commander and Officer length 1911s.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-18-11 at 20:16.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast