Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: PRC-148 Radio, First Impressions and Initial Setup, and Follow on Setup on Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Many data point:

- 70cm band is normally used to describe the UHF 440 mhz ham band. But generically could kind of be applied to the business / bmrs/frs frequencies at 460 megahertz.

They are most likely using a gmrs or FRS frequency, so any of the boefeng type radios or the triumph 148 or 152 will work.

Difference is bofengs can be had for 20 bucks, where the 148 or 152 will be much more. But offers much more functionality in terms of battery capacity, Mic interfacing, etc.

- nearly all of these radios will require a PC program to configure and store channels. All but the Motorola's will come with it. Most include the programming cable.

- the bofengs (and maybe 148 "clones") can be front panel programed but it's very tedious and if you're not used to programming channels it's easy to make a mistake.

-The triumph 152 is newer than the 148 and has some nicer features like being able to use military audio inputs without having to have special amps or similar. The older ones had the military type connectors but they were wanting to talk to an electret condenser mic, rather than the 150 ohm dynamic the military audio uses.

- If you just want a radio for one event get a boefeng, and an amplified push to talk that will work with the two pin mic connector. You can also use it with DMR or other amateur radios, etc.

But if you want a more robust permanent capability already have military accessories, I'd look at the 152. But make sure you get one that will directly work with your military audio. I think there's a couple of different manufacturers, and one of them is better about the audios stuff.

- I think the Triumph 152 even has a switch internally that you can select to use either military audio or the more common electric condenser audio found on the two pin kenwood interfaces the cheap radios use.

- The Chinese 148s have been around longer and are more common. The early ones did not have military audio, but people seem to like them as accessories were more available. They might have updated them to use the military audio now, you'll have to check.

I'll probably get one of the 152's though I mostly use DMR radios lately.

- The tyt md-380 or md-390 are excellent low cost radios that do DMR in addition to fm. There's a big advantage in using the digital waveform including encryption, and it has a range advantage over FM on the same radio.

I've been buying md-380s at hamfest for 45 bucks used, and I think I paid about $69 for my new one.

- The tyt md-390 is waterproof and has a built-in GPS, and is an extremely rugged radio. It is electrically identical to the md380, so you can mix and match using the same codeplug.

Both of these will require a program to set it up, but it comes with it and the programming cable.

TYTs use the Kenwood 2 pin interface, so you would require one of the amplified ptt devices to convert from your military headsets to the Kenwood audio.

They are UHF only so you give up the use of the VHF frequencies, but to me that's boefeng space unless you wear a ham and want to use 2 m or a boater that wants to use VHF Marine.

If you head down the TYT path let me know and I'll set you up a code plug with common frequencies that you can load into your radio.

A big plus of the TYT DMR radios is they support encryption when using DMR. That's technically illegal on the commonly used gmrs frequencies, but in any kind of a shtf situation I would use it. The NSA can probably break it but it defeats most snooping.

- Moto DMR (aka mototrbo) handhelds and mobiles are showing up on the used market and are very good radios, but getting the programming software is a lot more difficult and they're just more tedious to use. I play with them and the mobiles, but it's not for inexperienced users unless you have someone locally who will program them for you.

You'll pay a premium for the moto radios. They are tough, but not that much tougher than an MD-390 to justify the cost & hassle.

- The anytone 878 is another very good handheld. It is UHF and VHF and does DMR or fm. It also has a built-in gps, but is not as rugged as the md-390. It uses 2 pin Kenwood audio.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Can someone just tell me what radio to buy?

I don’t really have time to get super deep into all of that now so if anyone just wants to point me to one, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Then this:

https://www.disco32.com/collections/...ivilian-radios

Go here and apply for your GMRS license ($35) for 10 years:

https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do

Once you're approved, you're good to go.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/Di...hp?state_id=08
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 04-26-22 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Thanks. I should've clarified that I need some level of water resistance and durability as the 9/11 run n gun looks like it puts equipment through a little beating. I don't expect to be submerged but there may be a chance based on photos from previous years, water resistant would definitely be helpful. That was another reason I was looking at the 152 clone since the thread on TOS and here both make them seem pretty rugged. But it was an after thought to my OP.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Unless you're submerging it, it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Thanks. I should've clarified that I need some level of water resistance and durability as the 9/11 run n gun looks like it puts equipment through a little beating. I don't expect to be submerged but there may be a chance based on photos from previous years, water resistant would definitely be helpful. That was another reason I was looking at the 152 clone since the thread on TOS and here both make them seem pretty rugged. But it was an after thought to my OP.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hard to argue with simplicity! OS's recommendation is the easy button.

You give up a lot of flexibility, but it sounds like you don't care.

I have similar Kenwood gmrs only handhelds (tk3101) that are almost 25 years old and still trucking. Very rugged and simple.

I don't see a current Kenwood equivalent, so if outlander says these baofeng gmrs pros are good to go, that's an easy answer.

Outlander, it looks like these can transmit only on gmrs, but can receive all UHF and VHF. Can that be overridden to allow VHF transmit or ham UHF? I like that you can set up repeater channels as well from the front panel though.

Also, I'm thinking you had one of the Chinese 148s? Did you ever look into the newer 152's?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post

When it comes to plugging in to earpro, that’s where things start to get complicated. Military 6/10 pin does not interface with basically all of the commercially available radios. You would need to buy an adapter for it to work. If you are running a U94 downlead, you’ll most likely need an amped PTT as well. When it comes to connectors, Baofeng and the like mostly use Kenwood two prong connectors, with some of the more industrial radios using Motorola XPR 3000 series connectors.

If you can list what equipment you have that you’re wanting to integrate, and clarify what freqs/channels you’ll be using, I’m sure we can help with a solution.

Basic photo but I have a Nexus and Invictus PTTs, everything is U-94 to 6 pin. But I know I can get a different downlead with the AMPs, I’d just rather not since it’s like $100 for a cord. I have access to Harris batteries and antennas through work, as well as some Harris trained radio guys, though I assume the programming is different that it won’t matter.

Below is the snip from the event coordinator about the radio. This is driving my immediate desire but I was wanting to look into this stuff anyways. I should have more free time in a few months and be able to dive into this stuff a little deeper. If nothing else, I’d like to be able to communicate with my wife if cell service goes down (happened here for almost a week in the last two years which was strange). We also use handheld radios when we drive cross country (happens fairly often…) with two cars, we use some basic midland radios that we got at Bass Pro for that but I assume any of these will have better capability once I learn how to use them.

“To try to give you JUST A TASTE of integrating comms into your match, we're adding a special bonus this year. IF YOU CARRY A RADIO ON YOUR KIT AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, YOU'LL HAVE AN ADVANTAGE. During the morning brief, you'll be given the "enemy radio frequency" (this will be somewhere in the 70cm UHF ham band) to monitor while you run. If you know how to use your gear and pay attention, you'll hear the enemy transmitting information that can help you. You DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A HAM LICENSE to do this. Anyone can listen to any frequency at any time - no license is needed for that.”

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Simplicity: He can pull that out of the box, get his GMRS license, and be on the air within five minutes of Amazon dropping it off. Bonus points for Mrs. Wake27 being covered under his license.

To answer your question about the override; there is an "open" version, model number UV-13 PRO. The UV-9R Pro is basically a 2m/70cm Ham HT. The GM-15 PRO firmware is locked down for transmit only on GMRS, but it can be programmed to receive ham freqs.

I've got one of the 2021-vintage PRC-152's. It's pretty banging so far. It's wide open from 136-490 (including 220/1.25m). Airband receive is *VERY* good.

The 148's are good radios too. The TCA is the one to go with, as there's programming software and cables available.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I have similar Kenwood gmrs only handhelds (tk3101) that are almost 25 years old and still trucking. Very rugged and simple.

I don't see a current Kenwood equivalent, so if outlander says these baofeng gmrs pros are good to go, that's an easy answer.

Outlander, it looks like these can transmit only on gmrs, but can receive all UHF and VHF. Can that be overridden to allow VHF transmit or ham UHF? I like that you can set up repeater channels as well from the front panel though.

Also, I'm thinking you had one of the Chinese 148s? Did you ever look into the newer 152's?
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 04-27-22 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Yeah I feel bad that I asked to just be sent links and now I’m throwing other factors out there…

He definitely does, there’s a 20 page thread on TOS where he’s posted a lot about them that I’m slowly trying to work through. Programming seems to be giving a headache to several people that know way more than me. I know how to get to the freq I want on an actual 152 and switch between handset or Peltor setup. That and some durability is all I want right now but the amount of info out there is super overwhelming.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The fact you can get 152 batteries is a big win.

I believe they will also directly work with the military six-pin lead that you have. Need to confirm though. So that would save you buying a ptt.

But I don't think the clonish 152's allow front panel programming, OS will know.

Given what you posted about the match that's going to be critical as you need to be able to dial up a frequency.

A baofeng that outlander posted would work for that though.

UV5Rs are so cheap that I consider them disposable radios. I also have set them up for friends who wanted to do railroad scanning, etc.

I think I paid $17 for my last ones. (I have 3) Watch a YouTube video on how to direct enter a frequency and you'll be in business for the match. Make yourself a cheat sheet if needed.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The fact you can get 152 batteries is a big win.

I believe they will also directly work with the military six-pin lead that you have. Need to confirm though. So that would save you buying a ptt.

But I don't think the clonish 152's allow front panel programming, OS will know.

Given what you posted about the match that's going to be critical as you need to be able to dial up a frequency.

A baofeng that outlander posted would work for that though.

UV5Rs are so cheap that I consider them disposable radios. I also have set them up for friends who wanted to do railroad scanning, etc.

I think I paid $17 for my last ones. (I have 3) Watch a YouTube video on how to direct enter a frequency and you'll be in business for the match. Make yourself a cheat sheet if needed.
    I was leaning that way, especially after Outlander’s post. I can get like three to four of those Bfengs and the PTT for less than the 152 clone. And they seem like they’d be a bit less niche so I’d assume that I can find more resources for help while I start exploring all of that stuff.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast