Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Darian Jarrott killing (graphic)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motor51 View Post
    I think I’d rather take a round than be cut up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It didn’t hurt until later. The scars have faded over the years. I mean, I didn’t feel it. Faded but still there.

I naively thought they’d be gone by now. No. At least it wasn’t my face or anything too deep.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I’d rather take a round than be cut up

Was at a class one time and the topic came up of why people often shy away more from someone getting too cavalier with a knife than unsafe gun handling. Theory was just about everyone has been cut, but not shot. Only person there who had been shot(at least twice in the arm) was the instructor, but he was busy with the other half of the class at the time.

Feedback Score
    For LE here, maybe you can educate me:

Can you legally be ordered from your vehicle without being told why you are being stopped? I am guessing you have to produce a drivers license since you are operating a vehicle on a public road, but some have argued this is a Constitutional violation. In other words, you cannot be forced to identify yourself until you have been notified as to why you are being stopped. I've watched the video of the 2LT and his stop, and that 1.5 mile roll to a lighted location certainly might have raised suspicion.

I had an incident years ago in Albuquerque where I was sitting at an outside table of a burger joint, and a plain clothes drug bust went down on the street in front of me. I had been photographing that day and had my Nikon with me. I raised the camera to my eye and used my telephoto lens to get a closer view. Two of the plain clothes Albuquerque cops came over and demanded my ID and asked why I was taking pictures. I told them I was just eating a burger and drinking a Coke. They threatened to arrest me if I didn't produce my ID. I pulled out my Drivers License and showed it to them. They made some threatening talk but eventually just walked off.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score

Darian Jarrott killing (graphic)

Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post

Can you legally be ordered from your vehicle without being told why you are being stopped? I am guessing you have to produce a drivers license since you are operating a vehicle on a public road, but some have argued this is a Constitutional violation. In other words, you cannot be forced to identify yourself until you have been notified as to why you are being stopped. I've watched the video of the 2LT and his stop, and that 1.5 mile roll to a lighted location certainly might have raised suspicion.

I had an incident years ago in Albuquerque where I was sitting at an outside table of a burger joint, and a plain clothes drug bust went down on the street in front of me. I had been photographing that day and had my Nikon with me. I raised the camera to my eye and used my telephoto lens to get a closer view. Two of the plain clothes Albuquerque cops came over and demanded my ID and asked why I was taking pictures. I told them I was just eating a burger and drinking a Coke. They threatened to arrest me if I didn't produce my ID. I pulled out my Drivers License and showed it to them. They made some threatening talk but eventually just walked off.
    I work nights so usually I tell the driver to grab his DL, registration and insurance and step to to the rear of his vehicle. Once I have his info I explain the reason for the stop. I learned a long time ago that trying to get the DL AFTER the argument had begun it’s a lot harder. A lot of people believe court is held on the side of the roadway. I’m sure each state and each department has its own set of dos and donts and I am not up on the legal requirements of other states.

And to the other point, I don’t mind if anyone records me from a safe distance as long as you don’t get involved. Heck, I already have a dash camera and body camera on so what’s one more from a distance.

Last edited by motor51; 04-15-21 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Not a cop, but looked up the not required to tell you what the stop is about and that is apparently legit in at least some states.

That being said, the officers escalated the situation by not stating "why" which would have taken no more time than issuing the execution threat(no idea if he knew what he was saying, but that is it) and confirming that he should be afraid to exit the vehicle as they were demanding.

Also, according to the lawsuit he drove less than a mile to a BP after the officer hit the lights close to a Food Lion as well as slowing down with his hazard lights on. Checking Google maps for that town shows the Food Lion parking lot(set back from the main road a bit) to the BP is 1.1 miles so the claims on time and distance seen to be getting exaggerated. The officer mentioned he drove past one business that was lit, but looking at the other business types on that street and considering the time it is unlikely there would be any witnesses present.

I doubt your experience was legal and there have been more than a few lawsuits won with similar details.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-15-21 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not a cop, but looked up the not required to tell you what the stop is about and that is apparently legit in at least some states.

That being said, the officers escalated the situation by not stating "why" which would have taken no more time than issuing the execution threat(no idea if he knew what he was saying, but that is it) and confirming that he should be afraid to exit the vehicle as they were demanding.

Also, according to the lawsuit he drove less than a mile to a BP after the officer hit the lights close to a Food Lion as well as slowing down with his hazard lights on. Checking Google maps for that town shows the Food Lion parking lot(set back from the main road a bit) to the BP is 1.1 miles so the claims on time and distance seen to be getting exaggerated. The officer mentioned he drove past one business that was lit, but looking at the other business types on that street and considering the time it is unlikely there would be any witnesses present.

I doubt your experience was legal and there have been more than a few lawsuits won with similar details.
    I’m not putting a lot of time into researching it but off the top of your head do you know of this place is a small town? I know some small town LEOs are like MPs or SPs on a secure flight line just waiting to get into something

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m not putting a lot of time into researching it but off the top of your head do you know of this place is a small town? I know some small town LEOs are like MPs or SPs on a secure flight line just waiting to get into something

Terrible at estimating size, but the aerial view looked like most small communities around here, fairly big growth spurt though.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Windsor-Virginia.html

Population in 2019: 2,758 (0% urban, 100% rural). Population change since 2000: +201.1%

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Short answer, yes, you can be ordered from your vehicle without being explained as to why, e.g. felony stop.

In your example, I'd guess that the officers were just bullying you counting on either their, or your own, ignorance on the legality.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Short answer, yes, you can be ordered from your vehicle without being explained as to why, e.g. felony stop.

In your example, I'd guess that the officers were just bullying you counting on either their, or your own, ignorance on the legality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post

My thinking was the undercover plain clothes cops doing the bust didn't want someone recording their pictures. I've seen other incidents when there is a big bust at an intersection and I saw a kid with a cell phone pull it out and the LE told him to stop taking pictures.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast