Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I found the next Botach: lapolicegear. Beware cheap ceramic armor plates

Feedback Score

Looks like I found the next Botach: lapolicegear. Beware cheap ceramic armor plates

TLDR:

I might have known better than to think a $100 6.5lb ceramic plate would be a good purchase. (I thought someone figured out a way to mass produce a cheap light plate via HDPE and aluminum oxide.)
    Plate has a 1" foam spacer all around the edge. How are you going to get that plate high enough to cover the aortic arch?

That said,

1. the plate is made in china which isn't indicated anywhere on the sales page for it
    2. While measuring 10" x 12", it appears that it only offers of 8" x 10" of actual protection with a 1" foam spacer all the way around it.

The only indication that a potential buyer would have that the plate offers only roughly 8" x 10" of protection is this highlighted cryptic line from the features list on the sales page:

• NIJ Level IV Tested
    • Dimensions: 10" x 11.8"
    • Thickness: 1 1//8"
    • Weight: 6.5 lbs
    • Construction: PE+Alumina (AL2O3)
    • Single Curve
    • Stand-Alone and Multi-Hit Capable
    • 1 in. Partial Foam Edge
    • Polyester/Nylon Cover
    • 5 Year Shelf Life

What the hell does that mean? It appears to mean: 1" all around the edge of the plate, between the inner ballistic material and the outer plastic skin, is non ballistic foam spacer/cushion. It appears to mean: subtract two inches from both dimensions to uncover the secret surprise ballistic dimensions! It's a feature! You get a life saving device, and a surprise! All in the same package! (Return label after receiving gunfire to get the cool decoder ring! Spolier: it spells out W H A T A O R T I C A R C H H A H A)

I contacted them and quickly discovered they know their sales page is deceptive, as well that someone there has been getting a lot of unhappy emails like mine upon finding "made in china" on the plastic wrap.

I tried to leave a 1 star review on their site. Then I got a funny feeling and decided to try and find my review. Guess what? No review with under 3 stars is visible in the review section, no matter how you filter it.

Buyer beware.

Following image of the plate being discussed snapped from mrgunsandgear to show the one inch foam spacer.

Roughly what you're getting with these plates:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aries144; 06-12-21 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

When I saw that they also don't specify exactly what rounds each plate is rated to stop, I knew chicanery was afoot...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You bought cheap armor from an internet megastore and are surprised it sucks. That’s surprising.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    No, more of an opportunity to warn anyone else tempted to try them. I completely missed the major flaws until I got the plates, saw the china tag, and then found a bunch of reviews that didn't show up without "china" as one of the search terms. That's when the foam became apparent to me. I did research before buying, just not enough. None of the youtube people shooting them apart noted the foam spacer or its implications for how the plate would ride in a plate pocket.

The 1" foam spacer makes the plates useless, in my opinion. Can't get them high enough to cover the aortic arch.
    Last edited by Aries144; 06-11-21 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I thought MrGunsandGear discussed the foam border in his review, but its been a while since I saw it.

I just could not see my way into buying the imported plates. Body Armor Outlet has US made level 4 plates at a price close to LAPG's level 3+. https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/coll...le-curve-10x12

Unfortunately, their level III + plates are more expensive and I don't know if they have a border on their plates as well.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-11-21 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Good to know. Haven't bought from LAPG in years but they have/had good deals on their house brand pants. I'm still using pants from 8+ years ago that have seen unknown range sessions, farm work, and wash cycles. I've bought other stuff there in the distant past with no issues.

FWIW, I've never received anything from Botach that was misrepresented or fake. I learned to avoid their house brand, and there have been several orders that I never received (wasn't charged for either) without satisfactory explanation...

I've seen some iffy advertising regarding armor products at DSG Arms, so caveat emptor there also.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    No, more of an opportunity to warn anyone else tempted to try them. I completely missed the major flaws until I got the plates, saw the china tag, and then found a bunch of reviews that didn't show up without "china" as one of the search terms. That's when the foam became apparent to me. I did research before buying, just not enough. None of the youtube people shooting them apart noted the foam spacer or its implications for how the plate would ride in a plate pocket.

The 1" foam spacer makes the plates useless, in my opinion. Can't get them high enough to cover the aortic arch.
    I think you are finding an issue where there isn't one.

You really think if they where able to make a plate in America for less than $100 it wouldn't have MADE IN AMERICA plastered all over? Pro tip: If an item is cheap and doesn't display the origins: It's Asia. Every time. And even still despite its origins these plates are the ONE brand that multiple YouTube'rs have tested to perform above their "claimed" level of performance. In fact these LvL 3 LAPG plates are lighter and have proven to stop more than the Hesco L210 as tested by BUFFman range.

1" foam edge. Please show me a plate that has proven edge performance? I would like to know. MOST plates; even the good ones, struggle with edge hits. Even AR500 struggle with edge hits. Again this is a sub $100 plate. If you really want that much piece of mind; go test one yourself. Then come on here and give them a bad review. It seems to me the second you opened the mail and saw China; you went soft on your purchase. That's not LAPG's fault.

Im very happy with my $85 set of 5.2 pound lates that have been tested against 855A1 from a 22" barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIb9_7YkqZQ

EDIT: And here is the same tests run on a Hesco L210 by the same guy, using the same equipment. About as Apples to Apples a test as one can find. Apparently M193 and M855A1 slip right through L210's. Was the speed high? Sure. But the LAPG plates you don't seem to care for, handled the threats just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ULXQDvXQU
    Last edited by turnburglar; 06-11-21 at 23:44.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    1" foam edge. Please show me a plate that has proven edge performance? I would like to know. MOST plates; even the good ones, struggle with edge hits. Even AR500 struggle with edge hits. Again this is a sub $100 plate. If you really want that much piece of mind; go test one yourself. Then come on here and give them a bad review. It seems to me the second you opened the mail and saw China; you went soft on your purchase. That's not LAPG's fault.
    Dude, proven edge performance? The "edge" of these plates, where the iffy edge performance happens, starts one inch in from the edge of the plates. Think about that. That includes the top of the plate, which means you can't get the effective part of the top of the plate anywhere near your sternal notch.

The purpose of a plate is to keep holes from being punched through your torso in places that make you dead right there. The aortic arch, above your heart and below your sternal notch, is one of those places. These plates can't cover that area because of that one inch of foam, unless you've got a carrier that can cinch the plates half way up your throat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That Hesco plate failed an edge hit. Well to be fair that hesco plate failed half of its hits.

Shoot the plate yourself. $100 isn't worth it to validate your fears?

I hate to say it; but you bought hobby grade gear, with professional expectations and have done none of your own testing.

Hardly LAPG's fault.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why are Aimpoints and Eotechs $6-800 while a Horosun is $119?

Why are Surefire and Modlites $250-300 while an Olight is $79?

Why are Hesco plates between $375-1500 while a Chinese plate with no rating and no quality control is $100?

Seems to me you got what you paid for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast