Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Why do we eat our own?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    Agreed. For the last 20 years, the firearms internet has conditioned me to always test things and trust only my own experience. Some examples of forum lies vs. reality:

Lie: AKs suck and you need the latest to shoot well.

Fact: Some of my best iron sight 200 m groups are from AKs. In 2009, my inexperienced, then 79 year old grandfather was making consistent (24/30) 600 yard hits on a steel torso with a Tantal I built, with irons, with 7N6, from prone, with the Tantal's shit bipod.

Lie: Swiss guns are the be-all, end-all.

Fact: They're nice but they're never perfect nor is their value commensurate with their prices. They're just guns, guys.

Lie: The M14 is finicky, unreliable garbage and we should've adopted the FAL.

Fact: Springfield Armory Inc. M1As and USGI parts guns are not equivalent even though everyone generalizes from their SAI experience. My basic, all-USGI (LRB rec) M14s have been perfect over thousands of milsurp rounds and dozens of disassemblies. They are, after the AR, the easiest centerfire guns for normal people to shoot well in my whole collection. They're also antique crap compared to an SR-25 or similar.

The FAL is the worst gun for Minnesota-based civilians. I wanted to love it so much, I bought 2 FNs and built 8 kit guns. In a military context with a controlled ammo supply, the adjustable gas system might make sense. Today, in a world with dozens of 7.62x51 options shooting in a state with a ~150°F temperature range, you spend way too much time adjusting gas for basic function and sights chasing today's POI. That's if you don't lose the gas tube pin. By the way, only some ammo is accurate in a given gun even though it's specced identically.
    Opinions based on defined personal experiences are awesome. However, so many people cannot admit that they have very little or no experience at all with something and therefore have no valid opinion to offer on the matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered_Pair View Post
    You find this on every gun board.
    I find it more often at the range or in gun shops. But I don't hangout on very many forums and especially not on ones where people seem retarded, or worse, emotional.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I find it more often at the range or in gun shops. But I don't hangout on very many forums and especially not on ones where people seem retarded, or worse, emotional.
    Thank God I don’t hang out at gun ranges or gun shops.

Unless staring at my online shopping cart for an hour wondering if I really do need that part for another build counts. Prolly not.

Speaking of emotion, are you missing the entertainment value of a gun forum? I have seen posts that have literally made me shoot coffee (or beer) out of my nose after reading some hilarious comments. Especially when they don’t know they are being hilarious. That’s even better.

My old man used to say, “glean what you can glean.” Meaning look for and pick up those things worth picking up and discard the rest. That’s so true of the Interweb in general and forums of any kind - be it a weapon or firearm based forum or not.

In short. Tons of people are full of shit and the Interweb is their septic tank of all their knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Thank God I don’t hang out at gun ranges or gun shops.

Unless staring at my online shopping cart for an hour wondering if I really do need that part for another build counts. Prolly not.

Speaking of emotion, are you missing the entertainment value of a gun forum? I have seen posts that have literally made me shoot coffee (or beer) out of my nose after reading some hilarious comments. Especially when they don’t know they are being hilarious. That’s even better.

My old man used to say, “glean what you can glean.” Meaning look for and pick up those things worth picking up and discard the rest. That’s so true of the Interweb in general and forums of any kind - be it a weapon or firearm based forum or not.

In short. Tons of people are full of shit and the Interweb is their septic tank of all their knowledge.

That is signature worthy.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Entertaining for sure. I just have to deal with this same problem at work and its happening a lot lately so my tolerance is getting very low for stupidity or willful ignorance masquerading as knowledge.

I go to one gun range to shoot and about once every couple months there is someone who can't leave me alone and has to tell me how "This gun or that company makes junk" or "is just as good as." "This type of shooting is for fudds" or "That type rifle isn't needed or serves no purpose." Doesn't happen often, but right now my tolerance for bull$!#@ is low due to issues at work and having the same thing come up when I'm not at work minding my own business sucks. So many people that are never in doubt but frequently wrong. This happens in all areas not just firearms.

Also, if I stopped buying from every company that ever did something wrong I wouldn't be able to buy from anyone.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    That is signature worthy.
    Thanks Steve. I have my moments.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I go to one gun range to shoot and about once every couple months there is someone who can't leave me alone and has to tell me how "This gun or that company makes junk" or "is just as good as." "This type of shooting is for fudds" or "That type rifle isn't needed or serves no purpose."
    This is why when I'm shooting if someone who I don't know shows up, I simply pack up and move to another range/bay. Generally, if you've got metal out everyone knows to let you have that bay (our club has three).
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This is why when I'm shooting if someone who I don't know shows up, I simply pack up and move to another range/bay.
    Lately, I find myself doing this more and more frequently as well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Lately, I find myself doing this more and more frequently as well.
    Yup, same here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Because most folks now are token gun owners at best?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast