Thread: A1/A2 Frankenstein Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A1/A2 Frankenstein Build

Hey all, think i’m posting in the right spot....

Well, my love for a1/a2 rifles has gotten the best of me and I’m going to build a little 16” carbine for home defense. I live in the “wonderful” state of maryland so I have some limitations with this build. It’s just gotta have a heavy barrel. I was considering just outright buying a rifle but the only heavy barrel A2 style rifle I could find new for under $1000 was a DPMS rifle that no one seems to have in stock.

So, my plans for the build...

A1 or A2 upper receiver/lower from fulton armory. Still not sure if I want an A2 or A1 upper, doesn’t matter too much to me either way.

Windham Weaponry 16” heavy barrel with handguards/gas tube etc. Very happy with my other windham rifles and the barrel isn’t that expensive from them.

Not too sure on BCG, maybe just a basic run of the mill from Windham, maybe a colt, doesn’t matter much to me.

Windham LPK/buffer tube/adjustable stock

Wouldn’t mind grabbing some colt parts. I’ll have to see.

Thoughts? Looking to keep the build under $1000. Would like to get an upper/lower with that colt grey color but i’m not sure if that’s going to happen with this budget. So far my current list brings the total to around $800 all said and done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Colt SOCOM barrels are known for their accuracy and you know it's going to be chambered correctly and have a proper gas port. I think BCM also makes a similar barrel.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The Colt SOCOM barrels are known for their accuracy and you know it's going to be chambered correctly and have a proper gas port. I think BCM also makes a similar barrel.
    Any popular sites for Colt parts? The only thing I see on Colt’s website is there mil spec BCG

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    G&R Tactical
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would suggest doing more homework. Windham Weaponry would be one of the last choices I would make for something that is supposed to be for defensive purposes.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Why the heavy barrel?

Windham Weaponry?

I don't know, might I suggest a Faxon Firearms 16" GUNNER barrel and matched BCG, heavy where it needs it and light where it don't, better transition between targets.

An A1 stock, and if fixed sights, for home defense, and no red dot ever, I would go A1 upper.

LPK from Colt, a sling and a nice light carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-n-Ky View Post
    Why the heavy barrel?

Windham Weaponry?

I don't know, might I suggest a Faxon Firearms 16" GUNNER barrel and matched BCG, heavy where it needs it and light where it don't, better transition between targets.

An A1 stock, and if fixed sights, for home defense, and no red dot ever, I would go A1 upper.

LPK from Colt, a sling and a nice light carbine.
    State compliance, must be a heavy barrel. I do like the streamlight setup that came on some agency rifles with the flashlight built into the handguard.

I’ve had good experience with windham and the cost is reasonable. I see a people speak negatively on these forums and haven’t been able to find out why. On other forums they receive a lot more praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I would suggest doing more homework. Windham Weaponry would be one of the last choices I would make for something that is supposed to be for defensive purposes.
    Could you link me to some of the threads where issues with them are discussed? All i’ve heard is that some of their early production rifles had issues. I haven’t heard anything recent and all the reviews i’ve seen of them have been great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theM90NP View Post
    Any popular sites for Colt parts? The only thing I see on Colt’s website is there mil spec BCG
    Shark arms is awesome for Colt parts. They have BCG s for $125 as well as uppers barrels etc. Best pricing I have seen. Call Chris he will take care of you