Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to make my AR-10 a precision gun?

Feedback Score

What would it take to make my AR-10 a precision gun?

I have an Armalite AR-10, standard A4, 20" upper with a Troy free float rail, PRS stock, and national match two stage trigger. Would it be worth upgrading to make it a "precision" gun? I know it will not be a LaRue or anything like that (hence the quotes) but until I can afford a custom bolt gun, I am going to practice with my AR-10 since it is what I have.

Other than upgrading my glass (which I plan on doing one day, I have a pretty decent scope on there now) is there anything else I could upgrade that would be worth the cost? I won't be shooting any further than 500 yds max, will be learning and improving my basics shooting in the 100-200 yard range. The only thing I can really think of would be a different barrel but I don't know if the improvement in accuracy would be worth the cost. Opinions? Suggestions?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    what's it shooting like now and what kind of accuracy are you looking to get out of it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you shot it yet at 100yds to see what it is already capable of? What loads are you using? What is the barrel twist rate? It already sounds quite capable of good accuracy with what you have listed. Why try and fix it if it ain't broke? Also what kind of glass are you currently running?

Feedback Score
    If you're only going to 500 yds and you've already got "decent" glass on it, that shouldn't need an upgrade. With good ammo what kind of groups are you getting?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Noveske 18" barrel, SWS free float hand guard, US Optics SN3. With various match ammo, I usually get a flyer every three rounds, and this can be duplicated by other shooters

Out of the three shots, two are almost touching, while one of them will be an inch apart.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Barrel swap. If you throw a Bartlein on it, the gun will be capable of 1k meter accuracy with SMKs. Shooter dependant obviously.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I have a Noveske 18" barrel, SWS free float hand guard, US Optics SN3. With various match ammo, I usually get a flyer every three rounds, and this can be duplicated by other shooters

Out of the three shots, two are almost touching, while one of them will be an inch apart.
    Are you cleaning the barrel frequently? If you are, don't. Those flyers can be drastically reduced if you leave the fouling in there.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it shoots fine now, leave it. If you want better accuracy, you can always send it to GAP and have them work it over.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guy, I am planning on leaving it as is for now since it puts decent groupings together (I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement by the shooter...). I don't have a definition for decent groupings but before the new stock and free float I was hitting a 12" steel plate at around 375 yards without much trouble.

I think along with practice I am going to get into reloading so that I can use consistent ammo and save some money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    CodeRed, it's been like that when the barrel was new. I rarely shoot it so I rarely clean it

I will take your advice and stop cleaning it after each range trip, anything I can do to help it is worth a go
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast