Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I chopped down my Midwest Industries SCAR17 rail (PICS)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I completed my chop today as well. Ran into some issues and worked a prototype solution. Not sure if I should detail in this thread or?
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    I completed my chop today as well. Ran into some issues and worked a prototype solution. Not sure if I should detail in this thread or?
    POST IT!

What issues did you encounter?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I'm going to hit it with some extra FDE spray paint I have around here somewhere.

MI would have a winner on their hands here if they went after this. I'd recommend they make some continuous one-piece side rails too, though to replace the OEMs and avoid the space where the extra fasteners attach. I'd delete the QD hole as well.
    I'd buy it

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What issues did you encounter?
    Nothing with the process itself, more with how I like to shoot.

So I'd been thinking about and looking at SCAR rail extensions for a while. Though an SBR balances a suppressor far better than a fullsize rifle, the closer your hand can get to the muzzle, the better the balance is going to be. Even the difference of two inches can be significant.

It's worth noting that my SCAR has a 10.5" barrel as opposed to the standard 10" CQC. I obtained a PWS SCAR rail in order to get as much rail as I could while still being able to attach my suppressor. I did toy for a minute with buying an extended device to get a little more rail (I've done the same in the past with other guns) but ultimately decided that I could play that game all day, "If only I'd gotten it chopped to XYZ inches then..." yeah, screw that.

I was hoping that I'd be able to keep at least part of the top rail on the extension. No such luck but it was expected (I did add 2.5" though). The QD socket on the PWS isn't as forward as I would like so I attached another where I like it (if I use the PWS QD point, the sling swivel digs into my hand when using my preferred grip). With the factory length handguard, utilizing the aforementioned QD socket, I used the factory sling attach point as a thumb index point. Obviously can't do that with the longer rail. Problem came when invariably I'd try to put my thumb on top of the barrel. No. Bueno. Even with gloves, that's a lot of burning.

This is where access to a machine shop is cool. We fabbed a thumb rest from some aluminum billet. Very natural feeling and no chance I'm going to get my thumb over the top of it. Surefire switch can still be activated without issues but it takes an intentional effort (which I like). It doesn't touch the gas regulator in any position (but boy is it close).

If after a period of evaluation I end up liking it, a nicer one will be in order (as this one is pretty rough, seeing as how it was made on a whim in an hour). Something lower profile, a deeper thumb-side radius(though it is not uncomfortable at all), some checkering, and probably a finish nicer than a rattle can.

Last edited by Dave_M; 09-26-14 at 13:14.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice work!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Nothing with the process itself, more with how I like to shoot.

So I'd been thinking about and looking at SCAR rail extensions for a while. Though an SBR balances a suppressor far better than a fullsize rifle, the closer your hand can get to the muzzle, the better the balance is going to be. Even the difference of two inches can be significant.
    Wow, great work. Your thumbrest solution is awesome. I can relate to having a need that no current products meet.

Killer photos, too.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Better file for a patent ASAP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, great work. Your thumbrest solution is awesome. I can relate to having a need that no current products meet.

Killer photos, too.
    My friend and I went to the range today with both of our Scar 17s.
    His went to a gunsmith right out of the box and had Robar NP3 plus coating done, Super Scar Trigger,
    and VLTOR handguard.
    Time to get sighted in, snag right out of the gate, the front sight torx is covered up.
    This thread came to mind right away, time to cut you out an access for it.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Also I did look at the early concept design of the Handl that was posted,
    looks like they thought of that and has a cut out to still have access to the adjustment.

Great work on your modifications!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Great work on the modifications. 2-3" extra inches seems to be the optimal extra rail on SCARs.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Makes no sense to chop it down, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast