Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIBZing Out?

Feedback Score

RIBZing Out?

I've been reading up on the RIBZ method of zeroing, where you leave 6 clicks (and a couple of "buffer" clicks) below the 6/3 setting on the elevation drum at the 300 position.

I tried that with my PSA carry handle sight but then found that I couldn't dial the elevation drum all the way up to the 600 mark. I removed the allen screw, cranked the drum all the way up to the top, backed off a couple of clicks for a buffer, and put the allen screw back in with the 6/3 setting at the top. I then dialed down to the 300 setting, finding that I could only go one click back before hitting the two buffer clicks.

I did the same with a sight from Brownells and was able to go all the way from the 600 setting to 6 clicks below the 300 setting plus the two buffer clicks.

And finally I did the same with my UTG PRO. From the topmost position, I was able to make TWO complete revolutions of the drum and then go FIFTEEN clicks below that. (!)

Anyone else have such divergent experiences with the 6/3 carry handle?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For my brain, that's too complicated. I need simple. I just zero at 100 with the drum at the zero position. I honestly don't shoot irons enough anymore to do anything other than a simple zero.

The UTG is scary. I'd be interested to see if it tracked correctly on windage with all that adjustability. I had a Bushy that would push off to the Right or Left as I dialed up. That cost me a lot of ammo trying to figure it out. No more non-Colt field sights for me after that adventure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfton View Post
    I've been reading up on the RIBZ method of zeroing, where you leave 6 clicks (and a couple of "buffer" clicks) below the 6/3 setting on the elevation drum at the 300 position.

I tried that with my PSA carry handle sight but then found that I couldn't dial the elevation drum all the way up to the 600 mark. I removed the allen screw, cranked the drum all the way up to the top, backed off a couple of clicks for a buffer, and put the allen screw back in with the 6/3 setting at the top. I then dialed down to the 300 setting, finding that I could only go one click back before hitting the two buffer clicks.

I did the same with a sight from Brownells and was able to go all the way from the 600 setting to 6 clicks below the 300 setting plus the two buffer clicks.

And finally I did the same with my UTG PRO. From the topmost position, I was able to make TWO complete revolutions of the drum and then go FIFTEEN clicks below that. (!)

Anyone else have such divergent experiences with the 6/3 carry handle?
    I believe the part in red is not how you're supposed to be setting up the sights for the RIBZ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I believe the part in red is not how you're supposed to be setting up the sights for the RIBZ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Correct. He performed the procedure wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The UTG is scary.
    Having thought about this a little more, I'm thinking that perhaps each click is for a quarter of a MOA instead of a half MOA because of a finer thread pitch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Correct. He performed the procedure wrong.
    I didn't say that was the way to do a RIBZ. That was a diagnostic to show whether it was possible to do a RIBZ and still be able to dial up to the 600 setting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had one and dealt with a couple of other UTG hard sights (rear / manual-flip). GTG imo but a bit on the heavy side.

Feedback Score
    So I wonder if we should just chalk it up to the PSA and UTG detachable carry handles being out of spec? Not surprising if that's the case.

Not sure on the Brownells carry handle, I wasn't even aware that they had their own branded version. I know they carry Colt's.

I guess I'll post this so you can check to see if your detachable carry handles are mil-spec height or commercial height.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfton View Post
    I didn't say that was the way to do a RIBZ. That was a diagnostic to show whether it was possible to do a RIBZ and still be able to dial up to the 600 setting.
    Good deal.

Feedback Score
    I have an LMT Defender I've done some mods to I still use as my go to AR. I did the RIBZ with the 6/3 sight it came with, and it worked as advertised. I never shot the sight at 600, I'm getting old and I'd struggle to spot Godzilla in a blaze orange vest at that distance, much less anything smaller . I took off the 6/3 and put a KAC buis on it eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast