Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can damage a SS barrel?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

What can damage a SS barrel?

I have an extra lower sitting around and I'm thinking about building a RECCE type rifle using a BCM SS410 upper. My goal is to have another general purpose rifle but with more ability to play around with long range shooting.

I don't really plan to run this thing super hot (I have a BCM BFH lw for that) but I'll probably want to do more than just bench the rifle 100% of the time. Maybe some drills and what not.

Real question is would using bulk m193 and m885 time to time damage the barrel and compromise the potential accuracy of it?
    I know BCM says you can run it hard but they never got back to me on the ammo thing.

Silly question knowing those rounds aren't very accurate but would a better barrel make those rounds a bit more accurate than a standard chrome lined barrel? Match grade ammo isn't cheap and I don't want to lock myself into a set up that can only run the premium stuff.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well, you can buy CBC/Magtech Mk262 which is 1/2 MOA capable for .58 a round.

A SS isn't going to have problems with drills and the like. I wouldn't do select fire mag dumps. Look at 3-gun shooting. Lots of stainless barrels, and some of the shots are very accuracy dependent. But, competitors will also find themselves firing rapidly at close targets as well.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Stainless Barrels are Fully Capable of doing and handling Full Auto Mag Dumps. (Obviously in the context of High Quality, in-spec Stainless Barrels w/ Chambers that are meant to be fully reliable... not some Benchrest type Barrel) *Noveske and BCM SS410

I've shot PMC Bronze/M193/M855/Mk262 thru several stainless Barrels, getting them HOT, and they don't even flinch. They do everything these Chrome Lined 4150 Barrels do, except for one thing... greater Precision and Consistency, with less POI Shift... especially when things get Toasty.

I've had many 5shot Bughole Groups @50m via T1/T2 Micro w/ all the above mentioned Loads and Stainless Bbls.

Worry not, run your SS410 Upper and beat on it... it will just laugh at you and ask for more.

I actually see no legitimate reason to even run Chrome Lined 4150 Barrels anymore, IMHO. I like the added Precision the Stainless Pipes bring to the table, while being Fully Reliable and not picky about what Ammo they shoot well. And they are also normally much more Rigid Contours that can actually stay more Precise, for a longer period. You may shoot one out at 15k to 20k Rounds... so what, buy another $300-$400 Barrel at that point.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yea I figure if I'm able to shoot out a barrel I can buy a new one and throw the old one up on the trophy case. I just don't want to screw it up being ignorant.

The BCM uppers are an excellent price but I'm not a fan of the shiny finish. I've read you can have it bead blasted, who does work like that and would known what they're doing?

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Well, you can buy CBC/Magtech Mk262 which is 1/2 MOA capable for .58 a round.
    Where can I find that? Ive been seeing that stuff for about $50 a box.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Cerakote it, Krylon it, High-Temp Flat Black Engine Paint it, among many other numerous options... simple fix.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...s-cbc556c.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Yea I figure if I'm able to shoot out a barrel I can buy a new one and throw the old one up on the trophy case. I just don't want to screw it up being ignorant.

The BCM uppers are an excellent price but I'm not a fan of the shiny finish. I've read you can have it bead blasted, who does work like that and would known what they're doing?

Where can I find that? Ive been seeing that stuff for about $50 a box.
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magtec...c-otm-case.htm

I bought two cases.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thats a lot cheaper than I was thinking high quality ammo would be!

Can you use the Birchwood Casey gun blue on the Stainless barrels instead of paint it? I've never seen anything mentioned about that.
    I may just cerakote the whole thing but I doubt ill go that far with it.

Feedback Score
    If you shoot a lot why not reload and have every round high quality that are loaded to the highest accuracy for YOUR rifle.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Such an epic pain in the ass if you shoot a lot.

For a .338 bolt gun, completely worth it. For a .223 gas gun? I did it for a while, but I'd rather just cough up the dough and save tons of hours of my life.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Such an epic pain in the ass if you shoot a lot.

For a .338 bolt gun, completely worth it. For a .223 gas gun? I did it for a while, but I'd rather just cough up the dough and save tons of hours of my life.
    Yea man. My gun time is rare now days with a 4 year old and a 2 month old. It's not going to be spent reloading. I wish I had the set up for it but realistically I'd prefer to cough up the money like a chump for good ammo at this pount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast