Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How Does the Dot-Mil Issue the M4?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Earlier this year, I was on an outdoor range shooting a couple AR's, when a young Marine who was right out of boot camp, home on leave actually, walked over, introduced himself, and asked, "Sir, could you teach me how to use iron sights"? I was floored. He had only used an I THINK an EOTECH, or some type of optic, during boot camp. Had NEVER seen a peep sight. So, with his dad, I talked and spoke to him for a long while, got his rifle squared away, and gave him 100 rounds of ammo "for the cause". I still cant believe the Corps isnt teaching irons. Can anyone confirm this?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    No slings?!?

And how are they supposed to CHOW SLING those boomsticks?!?

(we had FN M16s with three point slings in OSUT in 2008)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Earlier this year, I was on an outdoor range shooting a couple AR's, when a young Marine who was right out of boot camp, home on leave actually, walked over, introduced himself, and asked, "Sir, could you teach me how to use iron sights"? I was floored. He had only used an I THINK an EOTECH, or some type of optic, during boot camp. Had NEVER seen a peep sight. So, with his dad, I talked and spoke to him for a long while, got his rifle squared away, and gave him 100 rounds of ammo "for the cause". I still cant believe the Corps isnt teaching irons. Can anyone confirm this?
    Wow. That surprises me too. I thought the Marines were wedded to iron sights almost religiously.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    For what it's worth, my unit recently got some new M4s, and they came with Matech rear sights, KAC RAS, broom handle, rail panels, and black web sling.

Feedback Score
    It's not so much how they get issued as opposed to how they get bought.

Military finally figured that buying M4's with carry handles and automatically taking them off upon arrival was economically stupid. So they stopped buying them with CH's and started buying them with BUS instead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    No slings?!?

I was floored when I heard it.

Differences I suppose, for what it's worth, the whole 1-46th he is a part of couldn't touch any optics until they quallied with irons. But, if you check out their facebook page, a lot their privates are lugging equipment without slings. Even during Final FTX.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    No slings?!?

2007 OSUT Ft Benning school for boys. Colt M4s, no slings, iron qual (BUIS not carry handle) then CCOs (Aimpoints). Weapons guard posted outside the DFAC or field chow area.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aznginf View Post
    2007 OSUT Ft Benning school for boys. Colt M4s, no slings, iron qual (BUIS not carry handle) then CCOs (Aimpoints). Weapons guard posted outside the DFAC or field chow area.
    Sounds like this is the exact way it is still being done and handled today.

Waiting for Exodus to hear all about the details.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aznginf View Post
    A few years before you in Ft Knox, same except we had to take them with us to chow after a guard was goofing off.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    A buddy of mine and I were having a discussion the other day about how Colt no longer sells the civilian M4 with the carry handle, and usually attaches a MagPul MBUS (although I've seen photos with the Matech sight).

It dawned on both of us that we're curious as to how the dot-mil gets them.

Carry handle? MBUS? Matech sight? When a new military M4 is uncrated at the base, what comes with it?

This also led to a discussion about other things: What are the standard optics, lights, rails, etc. on an issue M4? I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete breakdown with specifics. If one were to want to duplicate a military M4 as close as possible minus the naughty bits of course, what accessories would one need?
    Some time during the latter part of the last century, our scout platoon turned in our musket M16A2s for M4 carbines. Back then the M4 carbines came equipped with the carbine length plastic split fore end and detachable carry handle. The first optics we were issued were EOTechs. Later came the Aimpoints and ACOGs as we progressed through the early stages of the GWOT. It was also around that time we traded in our venerable M60s for the M240. Seems like ancient history now.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast