Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for when you get a new carry pistol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For at least 5 years now, since I started to dry fire regularly, I've had a dedicated dry fire gun, secured in my dry fire area. Dry fire area is a 100% no live ammo area. Depending on what gun I used, there could be some variability to it, 3 gun panel (carry/live practice/dry fire) or two gun panel (live/dry that also serves as a match backup) for dedicated game guns. This really should be a 5th safety rule but since most people don't dry fire so it will not have the same recognition as the four universal rules.
    As far as over-do / over-kill, I used to think the same until my sole gun at that time, an unbreakable HK, broke trigger return springs, twice within 10K rounds, likely due to unaccounted wear due to dry fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    My point was that you have to spend an enormous amount of money in ammo to break a decent pistol (unless it is not so decent - M&P).
    Relative to the cost of the gun, yes. $10,000rds of 9mm is less than $2k. Its not that much money for a lot people per year. Real shooters will wear out good pistols in a few years.

Are m&p pistols not durable? Id like to know your experience.

Feedback Score
    You're just waiting for the zombie apocalypse as an excuse to dual-wield.

Back-ups of one sort or another are never bad - can't imagine having only one handgun to rely on. Need it be the exact same, ie G19 and G19 vs G19 and G17? Not if you are willing to buy holsters for each, but more economical if the budget is large but not unlimited.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nope. Did you think I wrote "break in" when I actually wrote "break"?
    Oh man, what is that called when you read something and put in words that aren't there, I mean besides idiot?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    You're just waiting for the zombie apocalypse as an excuse to dual-wield.
    In that case you need to buy a completely different brand/action. For instance you get 40 extra awesomeness points for dual-wielding a 1911 and a DA revolver, but only 5 awesomeness for dual-wielding 2 1911's.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Get two! Modern plastic pistols aren't that expensive. And you could always find a used one of the same model.

You break the new one in, shoot enough of your chosen ammo to make sure it's 100%, and then carry that one.

The other one is the beater gun: shoot it a million times, compete with it, plink with it, bang it around.

Y'all think this is maybe a good idea?
    The best info ever.

Feedback Score
    If you have the kind of ammo budget that you're worried about the wear you're putting on your carry gun, then you can certainly afford a second pistol.

I'm amazed how many people have that sort cash.
    Maybe they don't fritter away what they earn.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Is Uni Vibe trolling us with these threads? He's been a member here long enough to save the Facebook status update revelations for a different platform. We've discussed all these topics for years, what's going on?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I think some pistol-packers I know are making the opposite mistake.

If it's Monday, they're carrying the G17. Tuesday, the 1911. Wednesday, how about the P226 for a change? Saturday, gotta have the M&P . . . or maybe that new H&K.

If they ever get into a poop-storm, they don't know what's in the holster.
    I try not to worry about what other people do...as long as it doesn’t affect me or mine in any way. If somebody wants to change guns every time they change socks it’s absolutely none of my business.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Never a bad idea, but if you own too many guns too start with and are accustomed to shooting a variety of guns, not critical. Still not a bad idea.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast