Thread: Long Term Vehicle Appearance Upkeep

Feedback Score
    I come from a car family and used to have some insane show cars
    Natural wax lasts about 2 months tops
    Synthetic can last longer
    Even better are sealants the better can last a year
    And way way easier to work with my fav was Klasse
    https://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

Use a detail spray after wash that works with the sealant site I linked has good info they go on and off super fast and easy and really help keep paint nice
    Again that site has good info realize a few good products all ya need that work together

Ditto garage if ya can and truck like that to big for a cover

Ya mention clay so ya have some idea and stuff so you are way ahead
    IMHO klasse wolfgang pinnacle etc all great stuff don’t think the mega hyped pro stuff is worth it

Clay once a year apply high quality sealant at least 2x or more and do the detail spray in between

Have fun with the new rig

Tint get good modern that cuts UV and heat some of the better stuff is amazing and they can do windshields with uv stuff
    Last edited by Honu; 12-04-18 at 01:23.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all. I did get high quality ceramic window tint applied when new. I’m not new to cleaning vehicles, just an amateur who buys all car care products from my local O’Rileys Auto store.

Garaging is possible, and while less convienent, may become my new reality. But it would mainly be during dark hours...

What’s the deal with ‘wrapping’? I do see lots of commercial rigs with advertising wrap, but does that stuff help long term? And wouldn’t it eventually look like a peeling suntan?

Ultimately, who knows how long I’ll have this rig...I live around San Antonio and it ain’t like we’ve got the lock on good drivers here. It isn’t Houston, but it’s not much better...🤬

Still, on the chance this rig lasts me more than the typical 5-6 years I generally keep a vehicle, I want it to look decent headed out to my road trips. Tried to upload a pic but files are too large. Nothing special, though, a stock silver 2018 short bed crew cab 4X4 diesel Chevy Silverado I’ve had 6 months now and really like the drive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You have a challenging environment relative to keeping your paint in good condition. The sun is going to kill it, and keeping it outside will kill it faster (your paint will get killed regardless). You'll get rampant oxidation out in the Texas sun, and the more sun the more oxidation. Your best hope is to put the damage off for as long as you can before you have to repaint it. You can remove the oxidation with a clay bar or with buffing, but that removes paint/clear coat, so that approach has a limited lifespan. Better off to protect it. Best way to prevent oxidation (other than keeping it covered) is frequent waxing to block UV radiation. You also need to keep it clean because road grime and pollution with accelerate the process...so, wash frequently. Bear in mind that brush carwashes mechanically damage the clear coat by abrasion and help the oxidation process take hold. Vinyl wraps are OK. I use 3M clear bra on hood and front fascia portions to protect against rocks and bugs...THAT was a great investment.

Be aware that there is a wide variety in quality of car waxes. For the most part...what you buy at O'Reilly/Autozone is crap. Look at places like Adams Polishes or Chemical Guys. Look at their paint care videos. Look up Junkman2000...he is kind of the YouTube guru of automobile paint care and correction.

Feedback Score
    That 911 with the 'car condom' is like my great-aunt that put clear covers on all the living room furniture...

I wonder how those painters took that guy putting that cover over their 'concourse' quality paint job.

Aesthetically, modern paint jobs suck. More orange peel than than grove of oranges. They are durable though. Keep it clean with low power washing with soap to keep surface contaminants causing pits.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    have it professionally ceramic coated. unless you have time and experience in detailing and paint correction. Even on a new vehicle there normally needs to be some light paint correction. The up keep of a ceramic is pretty minimal and most come with a warranty if done by a professional.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love this forum. It points out the broad range of living conditions we Americans inhabit. I honestly have not washed my truck in three years. I take the hotsy to it and knock off the salt and sand from underneath, but other than that it's a waste of time. 6 months out of the year we have road conditions and weather that make washing a waste of time, the other 6 months we are too busy fishing or hunting to take the time .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGUGLY View Post
    have it professionally ceramic coated. unless you have time and experience in detailing and paint correction. Even on a new vehicle there normally needs to be some light paint correction. The up keep of a ceramic is pretty minimal and most come with a warranty if done by a professional.
    Got a link to the ceramic coating?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Got a link to the ceramic coating?
    Here's a quick pro/con article from a company that sells it. Despite the sales pitch at the end, it's pretty good info. I think it's the way to go if you want low maintenance yet want to keep your vehicle looking like new for 5+ years.

https://avalonking.com/blog/the-trut...amic-coatings/

Having a big HD truck professionally coated will be costly, but worth it for long term ownership if for no other reason than all the reduced cleaning/polishing time and cost of car care products. I'm old enough that it's just exhausting to do a big vehicle all the time by myself. On the flip side, DIY will save a lot of money, but on such a big truck you're going to spend most of your considerable time and efforts on paint prep, which is key when going ceramic.

Either way, the sooner you do it, the easier and less costly/time consuming it will be, before surface contaminants and blemishes take hold.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the vehicle is parked outside you are going to get oxidation/sap on it. I use Malco Plum Crazy that I purchase from the body shop that does my paint and body work. It's a hand glaze but you can use a polisher.

I have three daily drivers that I take care of plus three motorcycles and two cars in storage. I am a busy boy, I don't have time to eff around all weekend doing vehicles. I use the Malco about twice a year on the daily drivers and the rest of the time I just run it though a car wash.

After road trips I get the super deluxe $18.00 wash (after I've taken car of bug splatters), during the winter I run them through the $9.00 wash every time I fill up with gas to ensure that the salt spray gets washed off the undercarriage.

My cars look pretty good, the only ones I hand wash and wax every time are my old Mustang and the motorcycles - and if they let me drive the motorcycles through the car wash I wouldn't hand wash them

I want my vehicles to look cared for and not show their age, I also don't want to spend time I could be doing something else washing and waxing. Priorities.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was going to suggest ceramic coating too. Just look on YT. Lots of vids on it. Also some have used it so long they can report long term benefits. Lots of them report good results on wheels.

Another good product that people have used for years and it still gets mentioned on every detail site is 303 Aerospace protect.

Just look up car detailing on YT there are tons of vids.

Aside from a wrap the ceramic seems to be the longest lasting most durable and easy to apply.

Vinyl wrapping is an art form.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast