Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Repeal of Prohibition Day!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Interesting - what type of barrels were they aged in, do you know?

Experimentation with woods and maturation can be a lot of fun.
    The beer is brewed then stored for six weeks in used bourbon barrels from Kentucky's various distilleries- which gives the beer a higher ABV as well as distinct bourbon flavor. I tried the Bourbon Barrel Ale, Old Fashioned Barrel Ale, Bourbon Barrel Coffee Stout, and Honey Barrel Brown Ale. The bar we were at featured several "barrel aged bourbon ales". I just tried the ones from the company Kentucky Ale.

https://www.kentuckyale.com/products...bon-barrel-ale
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-06-18 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    My birthday is celebrated all over because of this.
    Happy (now belated) birthday!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I have a bottler of W L Wellers Old Antique coming and just got a bottle of Macallan 15yr old scotch. Buddy recommended the Macallan to me so I thought I'd try it out. I'm more of a bourbon guy but have been interested in Scotch for a bit now and this is my 1st foray into it.
    I have the WLW coming as well. Scored the George T Stagg and 10 year old Pappy too. But, they aren't here. So I had a wee dram of the 20 year Pappy followed by some Ron Zacapa xo.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I have the WLW coming as well. Scored the George T Stagg and 10 year old Pappy too. But, they aren't here. So I had a wee dram of the 20 year Pappy followed by some Ron Zacapa xo.
    I'm so jealous!! I've been wanting to get into some Pappy for ages. I found some 12yr old online but it was $599. A good friend of mine applied for the drawing in Kentucky and won. He was able to get some 15yr old for $115!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I'm so jealous!! I've been wanting to get into some Pappy for ages. I found some 12yr old online but it was $599. A good friend of mine applied for the drawing in Kentucky and won. He was able to get some 15yr old for $115!
    Yes, it can get pricey. I also got another bottle of the 20 yo Pappy so I will have two on the shelf. That 15 year is really good as well. IMO, the 20 and the 15 are the best of the stable. I have had a couple of opportunities last to get the 23 year, but $550 for a bottle that isn't as good as the 20 year just isn't worth it. I did have a bottle of 23 year that was unopened that I got as an investment several years ago. I sold it a few months ago and funded this 4 bottle purchase and helped buy a new Kahles scope.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 12-06-18 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    My understanding is Pappy is no different than Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare since all being made at the same place- just has some high price tag.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-06-18 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    My understanding is Pappy is no different than Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare since all being made at the same place- just has some high price tag.
    Then I am afraid you have a very poor understanding.

Feedback Score
    Then I am afraid you have a very poor understanding.
    Very poor, so poor in fact that I won't spend $1000 on a bottle of ten year Van Winkle versus $32 for the ten year Eagle Rare- made at the same exact distillery. Now on a technical note, this writer discusses the actual bourbons that are similar to Van Winkle, because they are made nearly the same way- at the same place. Maker's Mark, Old Weller Antique 107, and Weller Special Reserve.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...tead-20160201/
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-06-18 at 18:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Very poor, so poor in fact that I won't spend $1000 on a bottle of ten year Van Winkle versus $32 for the ten year Eagle Rare- made at the same exact distillery. Now on a technical note, this writer discusses the actual bourbons that are similar to Van Winkle, because they are made nearly the same way- at the same place. Maker's Mark, Old Weller Antique 107, and Weller Special Reserve.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...tead-20160201/
    And, you just doubled down on the ignorance.
    What makes you think I wouldn’t know the difference? Hint, I do. And I know the difference in Eagle Rare 17 year from the younger stuff. I’m sorry your palate isn’t as mature.
    And what makes you think that a men’s journal writer knows anything more about bourbon than the back of his elbow. Do you get your gun information from Cosmopolitan or Glamour?

Feedback Score
    And, you just doubled down on the ignorance.
    What makes you think I wouldn’t know the difference? Hint, I do. And I know the difference in Eagle Rare 17 year from the younger stuff. I’m sorry your palate isn’t as mature.
    And what makes you think that a men’s journal writer knows anything more about bourbon than the back of his elbow. Do you get your gun information from Cosmopolitan or Glamour?
    No I figure people who spend ammo money on bourbon probably read those magazines- so I linked it for your benefit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast