Thread: Thermal scope advice needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thermal scope advice needed

Hi all,

I searched the forum before posting, but the threads I found were either not relevant or very old so the information would no longer be relevant.

I am in the market for a thermal scope for hog hunting, and would like some input from the community on what has worked best for you. I currently own a Sig Echo 1 thermal reflex sight, but it doesn't provide a good enough image to be able to positively identify targets which I need because I hunt in a field with cattle in it as well as wild hogs. I have searched on line, but most information I've found seems biased. I am looking for a quality thermal scope can identify a target out to at least 200 yards, with detection out to 1,000 yards.

I am considering the IR Hunter Mk III 35mm from Trijicon, the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS736, and any other scope that the community might recommend.

Thanks!
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had the IRHunter since it came out upgrading to a MKIII/60mm 2 years ago. It is as awesome as it gets, but it is pricey too. Hogs vs cows ID is easy out to several hundred yards.

I think the Pulsar XP-50 is a more budget friendly scope that will still get it done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The XP-50 looks interesting. One thing that stands out to me about it is the 50hz refresh rate. All the other thermals that I have looked at have either a 30hz or 60hz refresh rate which is a quite noticeable difference when shooting fast moving targets or from a moving vehicle. How noticeable is the difference between the 50hz and 60hz refresh rates?
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    If I was buying today, id look at pulsar XP50, flir pts 536, or trijicon IR hunter series.
    Im personally holding out a year or two for the pts536 in the next step up resolution.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After looking quite a bit at the Pulsar XP50 Trail, I also discovered that they now make it with a laser range finder built onto it. This is definitely the thermal that I want, but no one seems to have it in stock. Do any of you have a recommendation for a reputable retailer that carries Pulsar optics?
    Last edited by TexHill; 12-07-18 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    After looking quite a bit at the Pulsar XP50 Trail, I also discovered that they now make it with a laser range finder built onto it. This is definitely the thermal that I want, but no one seems to have it in stock. Do any of you have a recommendation for a reputable retailer that carries Pulsar optics?
    one left

https://www.hueyoutdoors.com/product/lrf-xp50-trail/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you sir! The only downside, $500 in sales tax.

Feedback Score
    Thank you sir! The only downside, $500 in sales tax.
    I don't know the first thing about this topic but I did run into this on another thread. You can buy this for the sales tax.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-...le-scope-3-14x

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I don't know the first thing about this topic but I did run into this on another thread. You can buy this for the sales tax.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-...le-scope-3-14x
    I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Never again. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than when it comes to optics.

Feedback Score
    I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Never again. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than when it comes to optics.
    Well, thanks for the review. Now I will never repeat that mistake.