Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Loaded Mags. How Long?

Feedback Score
    I've only ever had a problem with long term loaded mags once - with two fairly new Ber.92 mags & a standard USGI 30 round mag were determined to have weakened springs after having been left loaded in the trunk of a parked car for @ a month in July, in the Tampa, Fl area. Interior temps of the parked vehicle were estimated to be over 280+ dergrees during the day & @ 82 or so degrees at night. Repeated hot/cold cycles (especially ones on the higher temp side of things) CAN cause compressed springs to take a set over time, just as repeated loading & unloading them can. Since then, I've been sure to never leave any of my loaded mags in the trunk of my vehicles, and have not had any issues with weak springs in long-term loaded mags. Just my experience here in central Florida.
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    I've only ever had a problem with long term loaded mags once - with two fairly new Ber.92 mags & a standard USGI 30 round mag were determined to have weakened springs after having been left loaded in the trunk of a parked car for @ a month in July, in the Tampa, Fl area. Interior temps of the parked vehicle were estimated to be over 280+ dergrees during the day & @ 82 or so degrees at night. Repeated hot/cold cycles (especially ones on the higher temp side of things) CAN cause compressed springs to take a set over time, just as repeated loading & unloading them can. Since then, I've been sure to never leave any of my loaded mags in the trunk of my vehicles, and have not had any issues with weak springs in long-term loaded mags. Just my experience here in central Florida.
    Interesting! Thanks for the data point. That's a good thing to keep in mind that I hadn't considered.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    I’ve seen this with Gen 2 Pmags, Gen 3 doesn’t have that issue at least with my own experience YMMV
    Gen3 did it worse than Gen2 until they added aome nubs inside the feedlips in early 2016.

I had problems with it and send a few sets of mags back to Magpul and talked with them quite a bit about it. I tried some of the first mags with the revision and they seemed fixed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VolFF93 View Post
    Not to stir the pot, but I seem to recall MAC having a couple of issues with PMAGs that had been stored loaded for a very long time, like multiple years.
    MAC Seems to have problems with literally everything he touches.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have “Go” boxes with 12 loaded USGI mags each and a full reload on stripper clips. Every time a range trip happens, I will ask my kids to pick a number between 1-3 and then 1-12. Whatever numbers they pick, I grab 1 mag from the corresponding box and take it to the range and shoot it cold.

These magazines were loaded in 2005, put in .50 cal cans with descant packs. I have never had a single problem with any of the magazines I have tested. I will occasionally take 3 magazines from each box and check feed lips compared to bran new magazines that have never been loaded. Zero feed lip separation has ever been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Howdy,

Pre-2020 I'd shoot at least once a month if not weekly so mags got rotated and used frequently.

With ammo shortage I'm not shooting my AR as much.

Most of my mags are PMags and assume they can be fine for months like this...or am I wrong?

I'm not in a position, at the moment, where I need 10 mags loaded; but there they sit waiting for another ammo score! I figure I best not shoot more than I can replace at least 50% of and it's been hard to find more than 40 rounds at a time it seems...No where within 100 miles had any last loop through the gun shops...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a few cans that I keep Magpul AR and Glock oem mags in. I check feed lips and the spring pressure once in a while. It's the constant use that will wear out the mags. Load them and store them you'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I documented this here one time...cant remember the exact year, but around 2008 or so, I shot two loaded 1911 mags, that had been loaded since I THINK it was 1936 or so, cant remember. I shot them out of an 1911 made in 1917 and used & carried in WW1.
    We filmed it and all- both mags & ammo fired without a hitch.
    A couple years ago- I fired two mags from a S&W 3906 that my dad had loaded back in the late eighties and put in a drawer and never touched again. They too, fired without fail.
    Mags..and ammo too..last a hella long time.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-08-21 at 20:55.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I documented this here at the time...cant remember the exact year, but around 2008 or so, I shot two loaded 1911 mags, that had been loaded since I THINK it was 1936 or so, cant remember. I shot them out of an 1911 made in 1917 and used & carrid in WW1.
    We filmed it and all- both mags & ammo fired without a hitch.
    Damn ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Damn ...
    Thats what WE said too.
    Was a great experiance...I remember the 1911 shot several feet low for some reason we couldnt determine.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Actually, magazine spring life is not as simple as "load and leave - they will last forever", or "cycling is the only thing that wears out magazine springs".

In 1966 the Army did a five year study on this very subject. A report entitled "Evaluation of Pretreatment Process and Long Term Storage on Magazine Springs" was published with the results of this test.

There were two objectives, 1) determine the effect of various pretreatments on spring life and 2) determine the effects of long term storage of magazines stored at normal, hot, and cold temperatures. The parts we are concerned with are the life of a "normal" spring, as none of the pretreatments yielded cost effective improvements, if any improvement was seen at all, and the results of extended storage of fully loaded magazines versus unloaded magazines over 5 years of storage.

(Data from "Evaluation of Pretreatment Processes and Long Term Storage on Magazine Springs".)

LONG TERM STORAGE:

In order for the "spring to not take a permanent set in service" the spring must never be loaded beyond specifications, which is generally not more than 50% of the free length. Most magazine designs have the springs over-compressed when loaded to maximum capacity. M16 magazines are such springs, when fully loaded, they are compressed to 14% of their free length (18% if you only go to 28 rounds).

The magazines, some loaded and some unloaded, were stored for 5 years, at set intervals a portion of the springs were removed from storage and had the free length and load-at-length measured, the ones removed from storage did not return to storage after testing. After approximately, 12 weeks the loaded springs had free lengths reduced below the original value, and lost strength, around 84% specification value. After 24 weeks, the load-at-length values were 76% there original value.

From 24 week the loaded springs showed a very slight decrease in both length and strength, dropping to about 72% after 2 years and stabilizing at that value after that. After 1-1/2 years, in the loaded condition, spring exhibited an average set of 11% below the initial free length. This stabilized for the rest of the test period.

This indicates that the strain on the spring has an effect on the loss of strength and length, but if the strain is constant the reduction reaches a stabilization point, and how low that point is depend on the initial strain. Unloaded magazines also showed a decrease in free length and load-at-length values, but stabilized in 24 weeks just inside the acceptable drawing limits.

The functional testing of the magazine after storage was to fire all of the loaded rounds in them and see if there were any magazine attributable malfunctions, there were none.

So, you do loose a measurable portion of your spring strength after long term storage, but it will stabilize after approximately 2 years. A spring with a strength of 72% of its new specification strength does not adversely effect function, but it has some impact on total life, as we know cycling of the spring will also lead to loss of free length and strength.

SPRING LIFE:

Spring were gymnasticated at a rate of 116 strokes per minute between the assembled height (unloaded length) and the maximum design compression (fully loaded length), with the free length and load-at-length checked a set intervals. This cycle rate was considered a bit excessive, but as the in service cycle rates would be slower this was the "worse-case". By 1655 cycles, about 1/3 of the springs' load-at-length value had dropped below the new spring limit, and by 12,000 cycles, all of the springs had dropped below 50% load-at-length (which is probably insufficient for proper function), or had become so distorted cycling was impossible.

DISCUSSION:

The service limit is not necessarily the same as the production limit, and according to this study, a spring with 72% of the production limit is capable of providing adequate performance. However, it would be incorrect to say that long term storage of fully loaded magazines "has no effect on the spring". On average it took about 700 to 1000 cycles to reduce the spring strength values from "new" to 72%, so that much spring life has been lost. So, it depends on how often you load and unload your magazine, as to which is better for the life of the spring, storing loaded, or loading and unloading.

The up-shot is: It doesn't make any noticeable difference as to the question of "Which is better for a spring, loaded or unloaded?"

EDIT: If you want to know when your spring is near the end of its life, when unloaded, the force need to depress the second round in the magazine should not be less than 2.5 pounds, preferably closer to 3 pounds.
    Last edited by lysander; 01-08-21 at 22:48.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast