Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Wilson CQB in 9mm has been drama free since day 1. It got so gross with gunk I had to finally do a full disassembly at the 5,000 mark and soak it for a day to get all the carbon out. Still chugging along at the 8,000 round mark. It’s my favorite and most trusted pistol.

I’ve got 3 others, a CQB in .45, a SACS Pro, and a custom Colt Commander in 9mm. All drama free.

I really enjoy shooting them, shoot them well, and that’s enough for me. Because I enjoy them, I train more with them. I’ve been down the path of Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc. I didn’t enjoy it, so I trained less with it, and was overall less proficient.

So no regrets. Maybe that I picked em up sooner, as I would’ve saved a couple grand not trying just about everything else under the sun.

I am eyeballing the EDX9 for higher capacity, but that’s a different story.
    Last edited by beschatten; 07-30-19 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a few 1911 in the past and they were great. I do miss them, but the lighter polymer striker fired pistols won out.

Feedback Score
    ya i regret every bit of it cause you cant just stop with one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Ok, don't laugh, serious question.

I'm not a big 1911 guy, own one for casual shooting but I'm kinda lost at the part where a 1911 is some kind of a lifestyle vs everything else that is just a gun to carry.

I mean you shoot your gun and clean and while cleaning you check it over. Anything broken gets fixed. How is this any different from gun to gun?
    Most people buy low end guns that aren't built right and then they try different band-aid fixes until they discover some combination of ridiculousness that functions for little while and then they blather on the internet about all the maintenance this thing requires.

A good 1911 will run and run and run, all they need is lube.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I look at 1911s like classic cars. Cool and fun to own. But monumentally impractical for day to day use.
    I got beat to this.

Try as I have to basically do the equivalent of turning an old muscle care into a resto-mod pro touring setup (modernize, update, enhance performance, but keep the look), it's still basically just that.

If you're going to go for it, decide early if you're in it for amazing BBQ guns, for the history and collector aspect, or just to experience it.

The other thing is not to hesitate to go straight to high end. Used semi-custom is where I found my sweet spot to be, I still absolutely adore mine. Quality is imperative on a design that remains the kind of the feedway stoppage (use good mags, properly built guns), so once you're spending over $1000 go straight to high end.

With everyday considerations, I still mostly carry my stupid Shield 9mm... but no regrets for having baller 1911's
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I look at 1911s like classic cars. Cool and fun to own. But monumentally impractical for day to day use.
    Exactly, like a 68 gto.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2299650.html

Back in the 80's, the winners were always shooting 1911s (usually .38 super) as were the losers becuse their guns jammed.
    Even a few years back an instructor had his 1911 jamb while he was demonstrating a course in front of the class. We tried not to laugh.
    Last edited by Pi3; 07-31-19 at 10:54.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Exactly, like a 68 gto.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2299650.html

Back in the 80's, the winners were always shooting 1911s (usually .38 super) as were the losers becuse their guns jammed.
    Even a few years back an instructor had his 1911 jamb while he was demonstrating a course in front of the class. We tried not to laugh.
    Why? Had y'all never seen an instructor's gun malfunction before?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Why? Had y'all never seen an instructor's gun malfunction before?
    No, but I never had many instructors. To be fair, as noted, mostu unreialbe 1911s I ahve been around have been modified by the owners with un-relialbe results. In the past, I have shot quality 1911s that were complety reliable. A freind had an old 70s or 80s gold cup that was a joy to shoot, extremly accurate.
    Last edited by Pi3; 07-31-19 at 14:05.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Sounds like the good ones (what I'd want, anyway) are pretty damn expensive.

And now Beretta has a whole new line of M92X pistols! Competition is fierce in the gun business.
    I also like the new line of Beretta M92X's, really want to check out the Centurion. But a decent 1911 needn't be expensive. My Colt super auto cost about $800 in late 2012. It ran well out of the box but as I shot it I identified some areas of improvement. New sights, mild dehorn, ramp polish, minor throat work and new thumb safety. I probably have another $450 into it but stretched out over 6-7 years. It runs and runs and I haven't cleaned it since late 2017, just oil and ammo.
    Top 'o the line SIGS cost as much and I've seen Glocks with as much into them as my 1911.

Feedback Score
    I only have two pistols a Colt Combat Gov't Model and a Springfield XD Mod 2. My 1911 is an old friend. I've had it for over 30 years and is my carry pistol. I'm comfortable with it and when I squeeze the trigger, the bullet hits what I aim at. I'm not interested in all the new pistols and technology. If I was starting today I probably wouldn't buy a 1911 but when I started out we didn't have much of a choice. That being said I wouldn't trade my 1911 for anything well I would trade it for a 55 Chevy.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast