Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "There is no such thing as security without active offensive patrolling."

I can't remember where I read this, but it rings very true for our discussion

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    If you want to lead your own life then follow no one
    The main problem i see in that is you can do everything all of the time. You will need help.
    Last edited by docsherm; 08-09-12 at 21:27.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    The main problem i see in that is you can do everything all of the time. You will need help.
    That's true. I'm preparing as though I'll be alone though because most likely I will. None of my family or friends will do even the slightest thing to prepare for even the slightest problem. If a snowstorm shuts off power and roads for 3 days they will be scrounging for crackers between couch cushions. A friend who I gently encourage to at least stock 2 weeks of food for his family of 5 told me if anything happens he will just come to my house. I told him he is mistaken.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That's true. I'm preparing as though I'll be alone though because most likely I will. None of my family or friends will do even the slightest thing to prepare for even the slightest problem. If a snowstorm shuts off power and roads for 3 days they will be scrounging for crackers between couch cushions. A friend who I gently encourage to at least stock 2 weeks of food for his family of 5 told me if anything happens he will just come to my house. I told him he is mistaken.
    Wow.....sounds like you need some new friends....

I see what you are saying. The one thing that most people over look in preping is skill. I was talking to a friend last week about this and he brought up a very good point. Sometimes it is better to have skilled professionals with your group then extra supplies. There will be a barter system, there always is. Even if people are low on food they will trade it for medical care. See what I am saying? Something to think about.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A friend who I gently encourage to at least stock 2 weeks of food for his family of 5 told me if anything happens he will just come to my house. I told him he is mistaken.
    During the Y2K scare I had a very liberal and gay co-worker say the same thing to me and everyone laughed. I then told him he'd be the first person I shoot too, all of a sudden they all stopped laughing when they saw that I was serious.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    During the Y2K scare I had a very liberal and gay co-worker say the same thing to me and everyone laughed. I then told him he'd be the first person I shoot too, all of a sudden they all stopped laughing when they saw that I was serious.
    Geez Moose, what a heartless prick! LOL. At least I tell them "because you're a friend/aquaintance yada yada, , I'll give you a can of tuna and a bottle of water. IF you come back... I'll shoot you!"
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-10-12 at 15:54.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Last year during a power outage I actually had a neighbor demand that I run a power cord to his house 100yds away to feed his home.

Now I don't know this man whats so ever and he basically demanded that I had to share with him and that I was a lousy neighbor for not doing so. He was so persistent and stated he would not leave until I complied that I had to order him off the property and then had to guard the generator since the POS neighbor approach my house several times stopping short until the power returned.

Now I will share and help a neighbor out when possible but since I was feeding two houses already helping out my closest neighbor the generator was at 80% and could not handle the load of another plus I didn't have a power line long enough that would be able to handle the load anyway.

People just think they are entitled to what ever you have and thats why I do not think a Urban Bug-In is possible thats lasts more then a few days. People will rush to your location once they hear the generator, spot your garden, smell food cooking or looting water from your outside stores or collection point.

I fore see lots of gun fire and bodies laying in the open as prepers try to defend whats theirs and the desperate try to survive.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We have been preparing for along time now. I'm not so sure I'm prepared to allow someone else to take over or manage our collective resources.

We have prepped for years now. If we choose to share that's one thing, and we will share to a point. When it becomes an expectation, and it will that's when bad stuff starts.

I guess what I'm saying is we have prepared to go this alone, just our family. We realize that that can be dangerous,yet must weigh the danger between alliances that may not fit our needs.

I'm amused by the kind offers from others to bring our resources to their camp for safety in numbers. After all it's in our best interest. Yea right.

We have a group who live in our neighborhood with the same objective and see what's coming. They have taken steps to prepare yet not to the level we have.

We see that we are able to work closely with this group, as all are practical people and bring skills sets to the tables that are useful. Medical being key from this group.

Perhaps it's a people flaw, but the only trouble I have had work wise in my life is telling my appointed leaders to go **** themselves if I disagree or see a better way.

I'm not one to simply agree, or blindly follow anybody just because someone made them the boss.

If I trust you and believe in you I'll follow you all the way to hell. One of my closest friends is a retired SF col, this guy is wired tight, I'm not sure I could follow him simply because I'm not prepared to let anybody else make life death related choices for my family.

I know this can be a flaw, however I see clearly where I'm headed and how I'm going to get there in any situation.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pretty thought provoking discussion here, actually.

When the Y2K scare was in full swing, my sainted mother-in-law (really, she's a tremendous human being) conjured up the idea to bring the extended family together and made an appeal that we all rally at her place if something untoward happened on a citywide basis. It was a delicate and difficult thing to explain that depending on the type and severity of the incident, her plan was impractical at best, and potentially life threatening to all of us under some circumstances.

My best advice after having worked amidst chaos the last 23 years is pretty simple: concern yourself with that which you can control, and leave to God those things you can't.
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." -Adlai E. Stevenson II

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I can see that a lot of you have put thought into this idea of extra people.

Along this topic, how do you plan on keeping them out? Can't just shoot a them. Then everyone will come together and take you down. So any ideas?

Now i can say that i have a friend and his family that do not have very many resources or any preps. But they have a standing invention to my "area" when the time comes. I will "foot" the bill because he brings a multitude of skills with him. It is almost like having two of me. We have also worked together in some bad places so i know he is gtg.

That is what i was referring to in an earlier post.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast