Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Brain Bucket Thread

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post

What puzzles me on TW Lids are people saying that if you go too tight on the dial you just can't back it off a bit, you're forced to go all the way back to a "full reset" which loosens the entire system up. I guess this wouldn't be a deal breaker and would rather take comfort over the dial system.
    I have the TW Exfil Bump with Boa harness, the ratchet is one way, so what you said above is mostly correct. If I were to over tighten I'd have to pull out on the wheel which then disengages the ratcheting system, it only loosens up to release the tension... it could go looser but I'd have to pull on some of the straps to do that. But for what it matters it's fully loose. I then have to press the wheel back in and re-crank it back down. There's no going back one click.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    For what it's worth, I store my Exfil with the Boa all the way loose. It takes a few seconds to tighten when I don my helmet and makes clearing my comms headset easier.

Feedback Score
    Yes..this was great. So not loose enough you need to hang onto the whole helmet from falling off with the weight of a DTNVS/PVS14?

Realizing the XFIL is their ballistic lid...about how heavy is it? Also...would $1100 be a good deal on this with 3.0 Rails in L/XL in your opinion?

Like I said in many posts....due to Cervical Spine Damage from an IED Blast I'm looking for the most lightweight & comfortable helmets on the market regardless of price. Yeah I know, I know....a perfect world full of subjectivity.
    Thanks again.....

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
    Yes..this was great. So not loose enough you need to hang onto the whole helmet from falling off with the weight of a DTNVS/PVS14?

Realizing the XFIL is their ballistic lid...about how heavy is it? Also...would $1100 be a good deal on this with 3.0 Rails in L/XL in your opinion?

Like I said in many posts....due to Cervical Spine Damage from an IED Blast I'm looking for the most lightweight & comfortable helmets on the market regardless of price. Yeah I know, I know....a perfect world full of subjectivity.
    Thanks again.....
    I have a Size 2 ballistic Exfil with 2.0 rails. My helmet has 6 x CR123s in a TNVC Mohawk, a Princeton Tec MPLS Pro light, and Wilcox G01 PVS-23 mount for my Sentinel goggles.

My kitchen scale has this setup at 3lbs 15.3oz (without goggles attached). I could drop ~8oz or so if I ditched the spare batteries, but seeing as this is my SWAT helmet and everything on my weapons run on CR123s, they stay.

I have no problems with stability running binos without a counterweight. I'm not a fan of carrying dead weight on my head, but I also don't have any complaints with the stability of the TW chinstrap.

That's not a bad price on the helmet.
    Last edited by GTF425; 12-29-21 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    FWIW; my flight helmet is an LH250. It's comfortable, but is actually heavier than my Exfil. I wear AVS-9 goggles at that job, so I'm firmly in the ball detent mount fanbase.

I find the Exfil balances better and is more stable with NODs deployed. I have not used the current generation Lux Liner and the worm dial that is standard in the current Ops Core helmets, but I feel confident in saying that you will be well served by an Exfil if you go that route.

For sizing reference; I wore a 7 5/8 patrol cap (I have a big ass head; I need the space to store my ego). I wore a Large ACH, L/XL Ops Core FAST (now size XL in their catalog), and a Size 2 Exfil LTP and Ballistic.

Feedback Score
    VERY well stated my man!
    SWAT Teams here in NoVA are transitioning to TW Lids as well. My friend (Sgt/TL) let me try his Size 1 which was definitely too small for my grade so Size 2 seems to be about right. You certainly appear to know your shit, and don't look down your nose at others so I respect your opinions here. No doubt I can look it up but your responses are lightning fast so I'll ask...

Does that XFIL I spoke of come with the OCC Dial instead of Worm one? If you say it's a good price I may just grab one while I can since Benny @ Kosher has em in stock....

Also dropped OPTactical an email to see what their wait times are on the Ops-Core FAST SF for hell of it. It may be worth a look as I see ALL of these increasing in price with the demand. Hell, look how many Helmet Threads alone are here & on ARF...

Thanks again for the candid feedback and advice brother.
    Stay safe & stealthy out there!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    I have the TW Exfil Bump with Boa harness, the ratchet is one way, so what you said above is mostly correct. If I were to over tighten I'd have to pull out on the wheel which then disengages the ratcheting system, it only loosens up to release the tension... it could go looser but I'd have to pull on some of the straps to do that. But for what it matters it's fully loose. I then have to press the wheel back in and re-crank it back down. There's no going back one click.

Hope that makes sense.

Same experience with the bump I used. I wasn't crazy about it but wouldn't call it a deal breaker either.

I do know that the FAST SF with their new liner is the most comfortable helmet I've used. I assume the Galvion, TW, and others at the price point are all very good and probably splitting hairs, but the SF's liner is leaps and bounds better than the old Ops Core liners.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My Noob set up:
    Team Wndy Bump
    Wilcox G24
    Noisefighter AX14
    TNVC Mohawk
    Unity Spark (IR only)

Trying to figure out ear pro and a lanyard. Was thinking of going with either t-rex or the kinetic consulting lanyard. And for ear pro was thinking of some Liberator or Sordin behind the neck ones in stead of mounting directly to the helmet.

Any insight is appreciated.

I run the Microbat Systems Tentacle for a lanyard. As for ear pro, I went with a set of the $60 peltor 6S neckband model mounted to a set of Unity mounts. There is no wires connecting the two ear cups so there are no issues with cable Managment which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post
    I run the Microbat Systems Tentacle for a lanyard. As for ear pro, I went with a set of the $60 peltor 6S neckband model mounted to a set of Unity mounts. There is no wires connecting the two ear cups so there are no issues with cable Managment which is nice.

Had not heard of Microbat Systems before. Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Had not heard of Microbat Systems before. Thanks for the info!

Heck yea! No problem! Licentia Arms makes some cool stuff too

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast