Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Active shooter situation- out on the streets... Midland/Odessa, Texas

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Shooter identified and wait for it, a criminal history:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...dessa-shooter/
    Insignificant, misdemeanor criminal trespass and evading from 2001 when he was 18, also the background check he failed was for a job. I saw somewhere he was fired from his truck driving job a few hours before the killing, also was living in a metal shed. Guy had loser stamped all over his ass, we may never know if he had anything planned or if he was triggered by the traffic stop and winged it from there.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The SSRI “theory” is really silly and seriously undermines one’s ability to have a rational discussion. It’s the realm of full on tinfoil hat. Association is NOT causation. Many mass shooters take SSRIs because they have underlying psychiatric illness. The fact that they are on an SSRI is indicative that they have a psychiatric illness, not the cause of their unhinged behavior. It’s ridiculous that this idea of SSRI s being the cause of mass shootings continues to be discussed.

Belmont, I completely understand that you are not suggesting causation. This topic happens to be one of my pet peeves, as there many who do blindly suggest causation.
    All spot on and points I have made before.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-02-19 at 08:43.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Nah, my brain chemicals just got out of whack when I quit running 10+ miles a day and I turned from slightly arrogant to overbearing arrogant asshole. Things happened and doc suggested I give it a try along with talking to a therapist. Therapist and I didn't have problems, just felt the Zoloft was doing me the most good and I decided to drop therapy after a couple months. Fast forward about six years and I decided I was 'fixed' quit the Zoloft against doc's advice, went about six months, nearly got fired, nearly got divorced, learned my lesson.

I'll probably be on it until I'm too feeble to feed myself.

I feel that most of the folks that have problems such as mine are due to chemicals getting out of whack because of changes in exercise patterns and perhaps as a whole species, as we went from having to labor to survive, to letting machines do the work.

One of my daughters was so ADHD that she got kicked out of daycare. Well maybe I helped her get kicked out when I mentioned to the daycare director after my second 30 minute drive into the daycare that week to tell my daughter to take a nap that maybe she (the daycare director) was in the wrong line of work if she couldn't work through the issue of a four-year old not wanting to take a nap. Poor kid, I'd go into her room at 1:00AM to check on them and she'd be laying there awake, just couldn't shut down. That changed 180 degrees when she followed her sister into competitive swimming. Nothing like a solid one-how swimming workout to take the edge off. She swam all through high school, was offered a scholarship, decided not to take it, quit swimming and within a year she was having problems which required intervention.

I really believe in the exercise connection.
    Said it before, will say it again, SSRI's are invaluable for some people and clinically effective no matter what some may say or think. They do not cause violent behavior, and if anything reduce the likelihood of it. It's possible that in a very small % of people there's and idiosyncratic response to SSRI's but not studies have found it and clinical experience finds an increase in violent tendencies. What the large scale use of SSRI's and other meds indicates to me is, the tendency now to just throw meds at people who clearly need more then that and don't get the med/psychiatric help they need and our mental health system is a mess as well as an increase in various psychiatric disorders is coming to head, and those most at risk of the behavior popping off.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Insignificant, misdemeanor criminal trespass and evading from 2001 when he was 18, also the background check he failed was for a job. I saw somewhere he was fired from his truck driving job a few hours before the killing, also was living in a metal shed. Guy had loser stamped all over his ass, we may never know if he had anything planned or if he was triggered by the traffic stop and winged it from there.
    He was making threats that were getting reported.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/01/texas-...m-roof-report/

Feedback Score
    If people were drowning in pools and most of them were on SSRIs, would we be banning pools or looking at SSRIs? You also have to look at the type of active shooter. I've said for years that a lot of these active shooters are just suicides that decided to take a few people with them first. For awhile, it was uncommon to catch the shooters alive, they usually killed themselves- either when pressured or when they were 'done'. Suicide with SSRIs, especially in the populations that committed the AS, are a well known problem.

Now this kind of AS doesn't explain San Bernadino, NZ or El Paso. You have old school Jihadis and new school shit-posting 'shooters-without-a-clue' in the last two.

Correlation isn't causation, especially when we hand out SSRIs candy. But we know that SSRIs increase the risk of suicides. It isn't a huge leap to see a handful of these to decide to take out a few people first. To me, the interesting thing is the seeming reduction in the correlation- but then again, this might explain the increase in shootings. We have a base load of shootings from true mental health issues, and now we have the shit-posters like El-Paso. We've crowded out the Jihadis to the point where their use of mass shootings would get lost in the noise.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If someone didn't have mental problems prior to taking SSRI's then (without me fully understanding how they work) I could assume they could/would cause mental problems.

Accutane is also supposed to increase suicides, but so do the extreme skin conditions it is used to treat.

Violent "crazy" has always existed long before SSRI's. A few examples:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpe_brothers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

not to mention countless world leaders either by noble birth or (at least initially) popular support.

At one time, more of these people got weeded out of society and placed in institutions, but at some point part of the crowd didn't want to pay for it while another part didn't want them locked up. The latter ranged(or ranges) from idiot bleeding hearts to legitimate concerns over misuse of getting the same committed to evil people overseeing the operation of the asylums with a captive audience instead of trying to help them with their health problems.

Another thing with people with that issue always existing is at certain times and places there simply weren't people around to kill (or I suppose if someone showed up then none were left to notice it). I don't know that they did it to avoid killing, but more than a few people headed to what ever frontier they could find to avoid being around others and I have read a few things that go on the theory that Charles Askins, Sr. got Charles "Unrepentant Sinner" Adkins, Jr. on with USFS in a remote area to limit his contact with others for that reason.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-02-19 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    A lot of these drugs have warnings on the label that they can increase the risk of suicide.
    As does a zillion other drugs that have nothing to do with mental state.

I know multiple friends and relatives who will die early or will be (1 is already) institutionalized due to over/misinterpretation of warnings.

This is the problem... People are likely taking the drugs due to depression or similar leading to suicidal thoughts.

Correlation is not causation, and could be selection bias

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    If people were drowning in pools and most of them were on SSRIs, would we be banning pools or looking at SSRIs? You also have to look at the type of active shooter. I've said for years that a lot of these active shooters are just suicides that decided to take a few people with them first. For awhile, it was uncommon to catch the shooters alive, they usually killed themselves- either when pressured or when they were 'done'. Suicide with SSRIs, especially in the populations that committed the AS, are a well known problem.

Now this kind of AS doesn't explain San Bernadino, NZ or El Paso. You have old school Jihadis and new school shit-posting 'shooters-without-a-clue' in the last two.

Correlation isn't causation, especially when we hand out SSRIs candy. But we know that SSRIs increase the risk of suicides. It isn't a huge leap to see a handful of these to decide to take out a few people first. To me, the interesting thing is the seeming reduction in the correlation- but then again, this might explain the increase in shootings. We have a base load of shootings from true mental health issues, and now we have the shit-posters like El-Paso. We've crowded out the Jihadis to the point where their use of mass shootings would get lost in the noise.
    That is far from well established actually. It gets repeated enough to have become some how well established fact, and it's not even close to that. That's very much an ongoing area of research and data collection. A huge meta did find a small but stat sig increase in " suicidality and aggression " in children and adolescents, and none in adults. The issue for me and many others is, these drugs are over used in place of say cognitive behavioural therapy to really address the problem, but that takes effort, time, professionals, etc and comes back around to our very sub par mental health system.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I have read a few things that go on the theory that Charles Askins, Sr. got Charles "Unrepentant Sinner" Adkins, Jr. on with USFS in a remote area to limit his contact with others for that reason.
    That's interesting. I tried to find his book in electronic form earlier this week and just found $50-90 paperbacks.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I just happened to go to Hobbs, instead of Midland/Odessa, the other day and I wasn’t aware it was going on until it was over. A couple coworkers were in the area, and they said you couldn’t even buy a bottle of water at a convenience store when it was an active situation. They were at the mall and stores were shutting the doors, and turned them away. It pretty much shut both cities down, and it’s causing me delays getting my tools supplied, today.

There are many people working in the area that are unable to be armed due to work restrictions.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast