Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: State of Shooting

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    It's incredible the level to which you can optimize an AR-15. Rails, barrel, trigger, optics, sling, buttstock, lights, pistol grip...the list goes on.

That said, a basic 6920-type rifle is a damn fine weapon and will not hold you back except for the most specialized of tasks.

Quit chasing the dragon and run what you brung.
    Confused with what that has to do with this thread?
    nawai

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This morning as I sat on my patio, drinking coffee and contemplating life, and what my purpose is, I looked down at the MK18 next to me and realized it no longer sparked joy like it once did. What has changed? Is it me? Am I beginning to transcend temporary happiness brought on by inanimate objects? Have I reached the point where life is nothing but futile endeavors and true fulfillment is just always out of reach? I looked down and asked these questions to my dogs, they didn't even answer. Their silence spoke volumes. Do I need to buy some archaic war relic and shoot iron sights at the 100yd bench? Is existential dread all their really is?

Good grief gentlemen. Shoot guns if you enjoy it, do something else if you don't.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I’m starting to prefer iron sights over RDS especially innagrass with my Colt OEM AR rifle-pistol. I’m also the only genius that’s figured out you have to buy a full auto Colt to snag the lower parts if you want true miLspEc. I recently became an expert on ballistics by reading an article or two. I’m sure some know-it-all, BTDT types will come along and say I’m doing it wrong but I’m The Schitt. Come fight me.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I’m starting to prefer iron sights over RDS especially innagrass with my Colt OEM AR rifle-pistol. I’m also the only genius that’s figured out you have to buy a full auto Colt to snag the lower parts if you want true miLspEc. I recently became an expert on ballistics by reading an article or two. I’m sure some know-it-all, BTDT types will come along and say I’m doing it wrong but I’m The Schitt. Come fight me.
    There’s a Zen to iron sights. I don’t think you have to be irons only but there’s a Zen that brings some peace and a good understanding of the fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    This morning as I sat on my patio, drinking coffee and contemplating life, and what my purpose is, I looked down at the MK18 next to me and realized it no longer sparked joy like it once did. What has changed? Is it me? Am I beginning to transcend temporary happiness brought on by inanimate objects? Have I reached the point where life is nothing but futile endeavors and true fulfillment is just always out of reach? I looked down and asked these questions to my dogs, they didn't even answer. Their silence spoke volumes. Do I need to buy some archaic war relic and shoot iron sights at the 100yd bench? Is existential dread all their really is?

Good grief gentlemen. Shoot guns if you enjoy it, do something else if you don't.
    Agreed. I’m over SBR anything. My door dash days are done. My ideal stash WILL be two URXed Colts, two HK ARs, an A2 clone for health, my Vietnam replicas, my SR25s, and maybe an LMT MRP pic rail for doomsday. (I’m over halfway there but still have leftovers from a few phases I went through) Then I will focus on real guns that are actually fun.

The Left Coast life has changed a lot of my outlook. Like a LOT. A lot of people just try to sell you something or get you on a mode. And there is certainly more to life.

I also kinda hate LPVOs now. I just like RDS or ACOG unless it’s a 308. Not saying I totally eschew them but I like things simple. It’s where I am at now and that’s a good ways from my 20s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The red dot and iron sights have literally the same exact sight picture anyway, I mean usually you can't even tell if the red dot sight is turned on. That's why the red dot jettison button is such a brilliant an effective idea. Drop down innagrass, hit the red dot jettison and pull the sling eject and start making hits on the target 5 yards in front of you. That's some real life training right there.
    Last edited by kirkland; 09-28-22 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I also kinda hate LPVOs now. I just like RDS or ACOG unless it’s a 308. Not saying I totally eschew them but I like things simple. It’s where I am at now and that’s a good ways from my 20s.
    I barely got on that train... put a Steiner P4Xi 1-4 on my main AR for one day. I couldn't get over taking a nice, light, handy rifle and turning it into a bloated turd. That scope was put on my .375 H&H bolt gun and it found a new home. Great optic for heavy duty abuse, illuminated for chasing bears in the shadows, and the weight balances well on a big bolt gun. I'm all iron sights and one RDS AR now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Been shooting my bow a lot more. I desperately need to thin out my safe and reallocate some capital to finishing 3 or 4 well set up guns instead of having 8 or 9 that are halfway there. So I'm avoiding that by shooting my bow.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    The red dot and iron sights have literally the same exact sight picture anyway, I mean usually you can't even tell if the red dot sight is turned on. That's why the red dot jettison button is such a brilliant an effective idea. Drop down innagrass, hit the red dot jettison and pull the sling eject and start making hits on the target 5 yards in front of you. That's some real life training right there.
    5 yard Innagrass training with an illegal Colt OEM SBR, with M4 internals, and no optics is how you reach true operator zen status. Anybody who disagrees obviously hasn’t bothered to read the posts, and doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Now don’t go looking at my profile page, I’m already spoken for.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Now don’t go looking at my profile page, I’m already spoken for.
    Well…LOL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Don't worry, its just a cycle and eventually we all go through it. The next evolution won't have you quite as in lust, but the fever will return.

My dogs ask questions that I can't answer, so it seems fair that we ask them questions as well. At the end of the day, I know my little black GSD prefers the MP5 with can, because the lunatic dog tries to run and attack whatever I shot. Still, she enjoys me shooting more than most of the other GSD.

Now a gun GSD thread...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast