Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder how well these are going to work. Also I wonder if a 20-25 round version is on the way.

https://www.amend2mags.com/Products/...round-magazine
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I guess I will be guinea pig on this one, my 6 Arc will be completed by Thurs or Fri, I am going to Cerakote this weekend, and my barrel, BCG, adj GB shipped from Odin Works yesterday, once I receive these parts I have everything to complete the build.

I have 400 rounds of ammo, and all the dies, bullets, primers, and various powders to reload another 2000 rounds. just no load data at this time.

More details to come.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    I guess I will be guinea pig on this one, my 6 Arc will be completed by Thurs or Fri, I am going to Cerakote this weekend, and my barrel, BCG, adj GB shipped from Odin Works yesterday, once I receive these parts I have everything to complete the build.

I have 400 rounds of ammo, and all the dies, bullets, primers, and various powders to reload another 2000 rounds. just no load data at this time.

More details to come.
    What are you finding for load data?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Their has been no load data released yet. I am going to chrono the factory loads and try to work one up. What I do know from data on similar type rounds is that the 6 ARC does not require alot of power behind it. The size of the case compared to the bullet type and weight will require loads of 30 gr or less of powder. of a mid burn rate powder like H355, 4850,8208 and the like. Before I start to reload I will contact Hornady and pick their brain for what ever info they can give me. All the bullets I purchased are Hornady 108 gr ELD's and 105 BTHP Match. So that should be on my side as these are the bullets that they are using in the factory loads. They do have a 103 gr one coming out in the fall as well. You can bet that other manufactures will be coming out with some as well in very short order.

This is getting ready to take off, Barret is the only one making hardware right now, and Hornady is the only bullet, They have a government contract they have to fulfill first. With the DOD buying for the military, the round being SAAMI spec, and the ballistics being the best for the platform, this is going to be one to look at.

I'm building a pretty high end rifle. It has some nice features like XL rifle gas system, adj GB, rifle length stock, a very good if not the best compensator available all on a stainless match grade hand lapped 18" barrel. All the testing and ballistic info released has been on an 18" barrel. They designed the system for it.

To date 22 manufactures have signed on to build these. Getting stuff right now is next to impossible, Proof Research is building the barrels for the Barret guns, and they are 5 to 6 months away from the commercial market. I know I tried to get one, they are $920 with a six month wait.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Their has been no load data released yet. I am going to chrono the factory loads and try to work one up. What I do know from data on similar type rounds is that the 6 ARC does not require alot of power behind it. The size of the case compared to the bullet type and weight will require loads of 30 gr or less of powder. of a mid burn rate powder like H355, 4850,8208 and the like. Before I start to reload I will contact Hornady and pick their brain for what ever info they can give me. All the bullets I purchased are Hornady 108 gr ELD's and 105 BTHP Match. So that should be on my side as these are the bullets that they are using in the factory loads. They do have a 103 gr one coming out in the fall as well. You can bet that other manufactures will be coming out with some as well in very short order.
    Hornady has data for the 108 ELD and 110 A-Tip up on their website:

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/...ta/6mm-arc.pdf

It lists loads for 8208, 4895, and Varget, but not 355 or 4850.

For other powders, you could also use 6mm PPC starting charges and work up.

IIRC, that's what Gavin at UR used. The PPC has approx 2 gr more of water capacity than the 6mm ARC. Hodgdon lists load date for a 107 SMK in the PPC on their reloading data page.

Edit: Here's the UR blog post where he talks about using 6mm PPC as a model:

https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/06...d-development/
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 07-17-20 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Hornady has data for the 108 ELD and 110 A-Tip up on their website:

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/...ta/6mm-arc.pdf

It lists loads for 8208, 4895, and Varget, but not 355 or 4850.

For other powders, you could also use 6mm PPC starting charges and work up.

IIRC, that's what Gavin at UR used. The PPC has approx 2 gr more of water capacity than the 6mm ARC. Hodgdon lists load date for a 107 SMK in the PPC on their reloading data page.

Edit: Here's the UR blog post where he talks about using 6mm PPC as a model:

https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/06...d-development/
    Aha!

I like how they have load data worked up for the 18" barrel on top then show 12" and up below.

14" with a pinned muzzle device would still give a short portable rifle with some decent downrange performance.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing that info, I have not been on their site in a minute. This had to be just released and is a big help to me in load development.

With this info and using a burn rate chart the other powders shouldn't be hard to figure out. This was the exact info I was going to call them for.

I think this is going to be a kick ass lightweight sniper rifle.

I'll post some pics when I get it built. Kind of a Barret clone with a PRS type stock Cerakoted in Barret Bronze.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am definitely interested in seeing your results once you get the build done and gather some load data.

Pictures of ladders would be nice if you could post along with load data.

Thanks for sharing that info, I have not been on their site in a minute. This had to be just released and is a big help to me in load development.

With this info and using a burn rate chart the other powders shouldn't be hard to figure out. This was the exact info I was going to call them for.

I think this is going to be a kick ass lightweight sniper rifle.

I'll post some pics when I get it built. Kind of a Barret clone with a PRS type stock Cerakoted in Barret Bronze.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

This is getting ready to take off, Barret is the only one making hardware right now, and Hornady is the only bullet, They have a government contract they have to fulfill first. With the DOD buying for the military, the round being SAAMI spec, and the ballistics being the best for the platform, this is going to be one to look at.

I'm building a pretty high end rifle. It has some nice features like XL rifle gas system, adj GB, rifle length stock, a very good if not the best compensator available all on a stainless match grade hand lapped 18" barrel. All the testing and ballistic info released has been on an 18" barrel. They designed the system for it.

To date 22 manufactures have signed on to build these. Getting stuff right now is next to impossible, Proof Research is building the barrels for the Barret guns, and they are 5 to 6 months away from the commercial market. I know I tried to get one, they are $920 with a six month wait.
    I’m a late adopter, so it will be a couple of years until I bite if I do. But I’m eager to see your results. I just read a good and long article in “Fire Arm News” on the cartridge. Be a good read if your into it. Magazine well was their biggest concern. What mags are you going to run?

If it pans out to me, I might be interested in a bolt gun in this caliber. Just maybe.

PB

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I’m a late adopter, so it will be a couple of years until I bite if I do. But I’m eager to see your results. I just read a good and long article in “Fire Arm News” on the cartridge. Be a good read if your into it. Magazine well was their biggest concern. What mags are you going to run?

If it pans out to me, I might be interested in a bolt gun in this caliber. Just maybe.

PB

PB
    Right now I only have two Elander 10 round mags, but I ordered one of the new Amend 2 to try out. I was reading the same thing about mags, but have also read that folks that already have a 6 ARC up and running are not having any issues with mags. Maybe the cartridge redesign by setting the shoulder back and changing the angle of it was the fix for the problems the Grendel folks were having. My observation is this was only a problem early on in the Grendel platform and has not been an issue as of late.

I took on this project because I like the challenge, other wise shooting would be kind of mundane. And believe me it has been a challenge. Lots and lots of research, I had interest months ago when I first heard about it and jumped on the opportunity as soon as they released it commercially. And I am just now getting my barrel, and I have another on order that is not yet in stock. Not sure if I want to cancel the order or keep it to maybe sell to someone, they are hard to get.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast