Thread: Hog hunting with TBBC

Feedback Score

Hog hunting with TBBC

I posted a thread already about hornady tap. Well this time it's about federal 5.56 TBBC 62 grain. (RXM556T3) I found some and picked up 160 rounds. I also have some 70 grain TSX 5.56 . My son just go a new AR for Christmas that's 1in 9 twist. I thought the bear claw may be a better choice for that gun. Had anyone hunted with this stuff? We are going on a hog hunt next year.

Feedback Score
    I guess no one has used the federal TBBC , well when we do I'll give a report.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't have any TBBC's, but I'm going to (hopefully) test out the 62-gr Fusion on some hogs this weekend. Grizzly16 is coming along, not sure what round he plans to use. Either way, we'll post some results if the pigs cooperate.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I meant to post this a while back but haven't been on much...

I haven't hunted with the TBBC, but I have with Gold Dot and Fusion. The results were very good and I'd say on par with 62gr TSX. It's a very good bullet and with its expansion threshold, you should be able to get maximum expansion from a 16" barrel beyond 250 yards. 70gr TSX is my preferred 5.56 hunting load, but TBBC, Gold Dot, 55gr or 62gr TSX, etc., would be a very, very close second.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Shot a 160-170 lb boar this year. Quartering away, blew out the top of the heart and lodged under the hide on the offside.

Hog went down around 30 yards away

Definitely a good choice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markderp View Post
    Shot a 160-170 lb boar this year. Quartering away, blew out the top of the heart and lodged under the hide on the offside.

Hog went down around 30 yards away

Definitely a good choice.
    There was an OIS in my area a while back where the TBBC (62gr, .223 pressure) failed to expand adequately in an individual. However, keep it moving fast enough (or use the 55gr loading) and she'll do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    That's interesting. I guess failures can and do happen when you take all the variables into account.

I only have a sample size of one since I previously used 55 grain GMX for hunting. The hog I got this year was about 40 yards away and the TBBC (5.56 pressure, 16" barrel) still had plenty of velocity to expand perfectly.

I'm going to Texas in March for a 5 day hunt. I'll be taking my new Geissele URGI 14.5" upper so I'm interested to see how this load does with the shorter barrel at slightly longer ranges.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markderp View Post
    That's interesting. I guess failures can and do happen when you take all the variables into account.

I only have a sample size of one since I previously used 55 grain GMX for hunting. The hog I got this year was about 40 yards away and the TBBC (5.56 pressure, 16" barrel) still had plenty of velocity to expand perfectly.

I'm going to Texas in March for a 5 day hunt. I'll be taking my new Geissele URGI 14.5" upper so I'm interested to see how this load does with the shorter barrel at slightly longer ranges.
    Nothing is for sure.

One of my good buddies (and an SME) recently relayed to me that my agency is exploring lighter grain weights of bonded rounds (less than 62gr) as a one-round solution for general patrol rifles (16") and specialty team SBRs. Also up for consideration are rounds that use a lower antimony variety of lead (lower antimony= softer, and vice versa). TBBC uses a high antimony lead in the core.

Indeed there are no guarantees in terminal ballistics.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Nothing is for sure.

One of my good buddies (and an SME) recently relayed to me that my agency is exploring lighter grain weights of bonded rounds (less than 62gr) as a one-round solution for general patrol rifles (16") and specialty team SBRs. Also up for consideration are rounds that use a lower antimony variety of lead (lower antimony= softer, and vice versa). TBBC uses a high antimony lead in the core.

Indeed there are no guarantees in terminal ballistics.

So basically a 55gr Gold Dot

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    So basically a 55gr Gold Dot