Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 6720 price premium - FIXED by G&R!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Colt 6720 price premium - FIXED by G&R!

Now that the silliness of the 6720 being available only through Clyde Armory has subsided...

I'm noticing that the 6720 seems to carry roughly a $100 premium over the 6920. While it makes a little bit of sense, in that production numbers (due to demand) the 6920 far outranks the 6720 (and hence may carry a lower cost-to-manufacture), it seems that the barrel should be a bit less expensive to manufacture (little less material and fewer machining steps to profile the 203 cut).

The 6720 does come with a Matech rear sight, but I'd think that's a relative wash against the deletion of the carry-handle/A2 sight...unless that's reflective of Colt having to buy the Matech, as opposed to making their own carry-handle/sight combo.

Beyond market dynamics, with the 6920 being the mainstay and the 6720 being a niche model, am I missing any other reasons for the consistent price delta between these two models? I'm thinking that the 6720 might pick up a bit more steam in popularity (which may or may not be what Colt wants) if it had pricing parity with its porkier brother.

As a follow-on, I'm also wondering if achieving that parity could be accomplished by deleting the Matech, since rear sights are one of those intensely personal decisions for flat-top shooters?
    Last edited by Azpilot; 12-29-11 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Now that the silliness of the 6720 being available only through Clyde Armory has subsided...

I'm noticing that the 6720 seems to carry roughly a $100 premium over the 6920. While it makes a little bit of sense, in that production numbers (due to demand) the 6920 far outranks the 6720 (and hence may carry a lower cost-to-manufacture), it seems that the barrel should be a bit less expensive to manufacture (little less material and fewer machining steps to profile the 203 cut).

The 6720 does come with a Matech rear sight, but I'd think that's a relative wash against the deletion of the carry-handle/A2 sight...unless that's reflective of Colt having to buy the Matech, as opposed to making their own carry-handle/sight combo.

Beyond market dynamics, with the 6920 being the mainstay and the 6720 being a niche model, am I missing any other reasons for the consistent price delta between these two models? I'm thinking that the 6720 might pick up a bit more steam in popularity (which may or may not be what Colt wants) if it had pricing parity with its porkier brother.

As a follow-on, I'm also wondering if achieving that parity could be accomplished by deleting the Matech, since rear sights are one of those intensely personal decisions for flat-top shooters?

The 6920 and 6720 are not the same price to Distributors. They also take longer to get from Colt than a 6920 does (as Colt doesn't make many of them).

For whatever reason, the 6720 does not sell as well as the 6920. IMHO, it is the BEST gun Colt makes and am always suprised that people do not suck this thing up.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd suspected that Colt was charging a bit of a premium for these. I'm guessing the numbers, and buying the BUIS out-of-house have something to do with it.

If they fly off the shelves as-configured, I'd understand a dealer applying the "ain't broke/don't fix" strategy. However, if they tend to languish a bit, I'm wondering if there's an opportunity to offer without the Matech (against, say a $60 or $70 deletion credit) as either a BUIS-less rifle, or with your choice of rear sights (at the appropriate add-on for the selected sight (LMT/Magpul/Troy/KAC, etc)). This would build some value in getting the rear sight the user wants, and (theoretically) the dealer could lay off the Matechs to the people who want them at a slight profit (since they seem to go for $80ish new from dealers).

Personally, I cobbled my "6720" together from a 6520 factory gun, swapping out the upper, and subbing in a 6920 BCG (my 6520 came with the neutered BCG). At the time, you weren't going to find a 6720 from anywhere other than Clyde's, at their premium. I have, since then, thought about getting a factory-configured 6720...but the price premium has somewhat held me at-bay.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'd suspected that Colt was charging a bit of a premium for these. I'm guessing the numbers, and buying the BUIS out-of-house have something to do with it.

If they fly off the shelves as-configured, I'd understand a dealer applying the "ain't broke/don't fix" strategy. However, if they tend to languish a bit, I'm wondering if there's an opportunity to offer without the Matech (against, say a $60 or $70 deletion credit) as either a BUIS-less rifle, or with your choice of rear sights (at the appropriate add-on for the selected sight (LMT/Magpul/Troy/KAC, etc)). This would build some value in getting the rear sight the user wants, and (theoretically) the dealer could lay off the Matechs to the people who want them at a slight profit (since they seem to go for $80ish new from dealers).

Personally, I cobbled my "6720" together from a 6520 factory gun, swapping out the upper, and subbing in a 6920 BCG (my 6520 came with the neutered BCG). At the time, you weren't going to find a 6720 from anywhere other than Clyde's, at their premium. I have, since then, thought about getting a factory-configured 6720...but the price premium has somewhat held me at-bay.
    The Matech only sells for about $50 on the open market (FYI).

We sell the 6720 for $985. That price is not high for a Colt IMHO.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6720

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-29-11 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Grant,

Bless you for the price-edit!

For all who didn't catch it...the 6720 is now available for a very nice price from G&R. Show some lightweight love by snapping these puppies up!

and in response to your last, Grant...

I agree that even at $1050, it's not at all unfair for a Colt... The only thing that makes it seem so, is the intense price competition (and resulting great deals) in the 6920 market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Swapping the upper receiver on a 6520 was a popular mod for a long time. I'm glad Colt finally offered the configuration from the factory, complete with the standard (auto) bolt carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We sell the 6720 for $985. That price is not high for a Colt IMHO.

C4
    At that price point, there's no excuse for good-as. I paid more than that from Clyde when they were first offered.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Grant,

Is Colt going to distribute the upper only like the 6920 or 6940?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/t...5/Default.aspx

But I guess for $300+ more I get the whole rifle.

Thanks
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

For whatever reason, the 6720 does not sell as well as the 6920. IMHO, it is the BEST gun Colt makes and am always suprised that people do not suck this thing up.

C4
    Im obviously ill informed but isn't the difference only the light weight barrel?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    Im obviously ill informed but isn't the difference only the light weight barrel?
    I am also under the impression that the 6720 doesn't use an F marked FSB. (Open to correction of course.) And it comes with the matech folding rear instead of a carry handle.
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Grant,

Pm inbound.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast