Thread: Finally had the feed lips crack in a Pmag...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Finally had the feed lips crack in a Pmag...

I know magazines are expendable items, but I was kinda surprised about this one, as it really hadn't seem much hard use at all. I used this mag for my last 4 months overseas (most of my time was with a M14 or 249) and then kept it loaded for about 6-8 months or so. I only shot it a few times overseas, never stateside, and while it got banged around a bit in the sandbox I have other Pmags that have been to hell and back that are going just fine. The crack looks like it's from being kept loaded, and not from being dropped or abused. I've read that FDE mags are the weakest and black are the strongest and I'm starting to this it's got real merit.

I haven't shot it yet to see if it'll have any malfunctions, but the next time I hit the range I'll see how it does.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bet it still works.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I bet it still works.
    But for how long. Would you trust your life to a faulty magazine?

Feedback Score
    and magpul will probably replace it. anything can and will fail. i will still carry pmags on all my zombie missions. that one needs to go in the range bag.
    “If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Mags fail are are expendable items just like springs, extractors, and ejectors, cam pins, bolts etc. The dust cover Magpul provides with PMAGs does help save the feed lips if you're leaving them loaded. Replace and move on.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would contact Magpul when you can and have them look at it. Maybe it can assist them in some way.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I would contact Magpul so they can look at when you get back. Maybe it will assist them.
    +1...

This kind of info may help them with eventual design improvements if it's a recurring thing. They won't know if you don't tell them.

PMags is all I buy or will consider buying in the future. I even use the dust cover on them regularly because I don't always use the same AR at work each day, so download it and keep my SureFire Scout and PMags with me. The mags go into my briefcase and the dust covers keep debris, etc from getting into them when bouncing around in the briefcase.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Yep, that happens to mags some times. During the ban, I had several USGI aluminum mags, of premier quality, go tits up. I don't recall the prices, but they were quite a bit more than the $12 or so you pay for a PMAG.

Know what I did? Took the spring, follower and end plate out and tossed the body in the trash after a swift stomp to the body.

Know what Magpul will probably do for your cracked PMAG? Send you a new one.

I'm all for letting people know about this issue, but the rules of this forum state you must contact the manufacturer when issues arise.

So please do so, and get back to us with their response. Thanks.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 09-04-10 at 22:18.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."