Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet LUCI . . .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagunner View Post
    They're only 15 bucks..not sure why you'd want to try and jury-rig your own at that price point.
    Because those are cheap-ass solar cellls stuck in a plastic bag..... Again if you're looking to plan for/survive in an EOW situation you really ought to have some basic electronics skills.

Those things look like they would survive a day of use... maybe.

Something like this for 88cents a piece is probably going to be more practical in context.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBih-5KWkzY#t=17

I haven't watched all this but it is probably a much more realistic and durable solution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggX2DDSlUZk

Just because you DIY something doesn't mean it's jury-rigged. Ask the people that stipple their weapons or people like Surf that alter their charging handles to suit their specific needs.

Of all the things those heading down the road of self sufficiency could delve into it would be solar powered LED lighting. In an emergency LEDs are everywhere and to a great extent so are solar panels.
    Last edited by tb-av; 10-16-13 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    The next solar lanterns in price point I linked above are twice and three times as much as the Luci lights. Also they are not compact and packable like the Luci.
    Yeah, I'm not knocking the idea and I hope they serve your needs but unlike building your flashlight, most people have the ability to make simple LED projects. It could come in quite handy to learn how to do so. Even if it meant being able to repair one of those should they stop working.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Yeah, I'm not knocking the idea and I hope they serve your needs but unlike building your flashlight, most people have the ability to make simple LED projects. It could come in quite handy to learn how to do so. Even if it meant being able to repair one of those should they stop working.
    I hear you, valid point about the know how part.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good find. Interested to hear a review. Any idea how long the solar cells are supposed to last?

Feedback Score
    A couple sites w/ reviews. The candlepower forum review looks like it was possibly a prototype.

http://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Origin...ews/B00DQ1RDWS

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...is-different!-)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Anyway .. that's what I see when I read that site.... that and some very well done photography... I might be wrong but perhaps some of the pro photogs here could comment on the lighting, exposures, etc...I don't think those photos are lit with just those lights as they suggest.
    I am interested in the product but after 16 years of working as a professional artist/photographer you are right. The lighting in those photos is "studio" lighting and does not reflect the actual output of the lights.

That does not mean that there was a second light present at the photo shoot, but these photos have a really heavy handed post production look. They're "flashy", and way to clean to have been taken with only the product in question.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    Doing a little more research.. here's a review comparing Luci vs. LuminAid with some pics by the reviewer.
    http://bicyclehobo.com/luci-vs-lumin...ight-showdown/

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Do they come with a shield? Part of the problem with general 360 degree lights is you blind yourself at the same rate you're trying to illuminate an object.

Feedback Score
    wow I am going to order a bunch of these to take to Afrika, you never know when the electricity will go out so these could be a great thing to have. I have a solar stove, solar battery recharger now I will get a solar set of lights.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    wow I am going to order a bunch of these to take to Afrika, you never know when the electricity will go out so these could be a great thing to have. I have a solar stove, solar battery recharger now I will get a solar set of lights.
    Funny you mentioned this. My wife did Peace Corps in Africa; she's going to email a few old contacts and maybe see about sending some over. Be nice to see how it would really work in an austere environment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast